RecessedFilter

NJ gun training schools - AK classes?

I've researched this lately and can't find any shooting schools/institutes in NJ that dedicate specific classes to the AK platform.

Sure, out west it seems like every school has numerous classes on it (AK 101, basics, beginner shoot, expert shoot, etc) but browsing on a couple of our forum vendor sites as well as others, it's mostly lame AR classes.

Yes, I know that most "defensive rifle training" classes don't require any specific rifle, aside from AR-specific classes, but I am looking at something that is dedicated to the AK-type variants.

Especially with more and more people getting a hold of these types of rifles, I think that NJ shooting schools *hint hint..ahemmm :yes: * should possibly think about creating a couple classes based on this platform. I wouldn't doubt with the increase of these rifle enthusiasts, many others would enjoy some sort of classes as well.

Or maybe if I could gather a bunch of guys that would be interested in a class like this, would any forum-vendor schools be willing to create a custom class for us?

If you are willing to take the time, you could probably find an instructor who would be willing to come to NJ for a few days of classes. You would also need a range for this that was willing to take on the responsibility. If there was going to be an AK class I would be interested.

I've researched this lately and can't find any shooting schools/institutes in NJ that dedicate specific classes to the AK platform.

Sure, out west it seems like every school has numerous classes on it (AK 101, basics, beginner shoot, expert shoot, etc) but browsing on a couple of our forum vendor sites as well as others, it's mostly lame AR classes.

Yes, I know that most "defensive rifle training" classes don't require any specific rifle, aside from AR-specific classes, but I am looking at something that is dedicated to the AK-type variants.

Especially with more and more people getting a hold of these types of rifles, I think that NJ shooting schools *hint hint..ahemmm :yes: * should possibly think about creating a couple classes based on this platform. I wouldn't doubt with the increase of these rifle enthusiasts, many others would enjoy some sort of classes as well.

Or maybe if I could gather a bunch of guys that would be interested in a class like this, would any forum-vendor schools be willing to create a custom class for us?

I'd like an AK class... especially in regards to changing mags quickly on the platform.

I'd like an AK class... especially in regards to changing mags quickly on the platform.

There are a few techniques regarding quick mag changes and they aren't that difficult, but it does take time to practice and become proficient doing them. I could describe them to you but I will end up rambling on, so I suggest making it easy and checking out AK forums and youtube.

I would look for someone who was a dedicated instructor on AK's

If you are willing to take the time, you could probably find an instructor who would be willing to come to NJ for a few days of classes. You would also need a range for this that was willing to take on the responsibility. If there was going to be an AK class I would be interested.

Should have multi-quoted but whatever.

This is a good suggestion, and something I was thinking of. I would rather see if any NJ schools would be willing, and if none express interest, then go out of state (probably PA) to find more interest.

If I came upon a school in PA that would be willing, depending how far it was, I would rather just drive out there then have them come here. That cuts off having to find a range in NJ, them having to purchase or borrow our mags as they will most likely have 30rders, and them having to come out here in general. The thing is, through researching, I have yet to find any schools in PA that have dedicated classes for it. I am sure there are some out there, just finding them is the issue.

I would look for someone who was a dedicated instructor on AK's

I agree, but finding one of those is few and far in between.

I have found classes out of state, but they are really pushing it as far as distance. Larry Vickers (retired SF operator, well-known firearms instructor) has an AK class that will be in southern VA, but it is roughly 7-8hrs away. If I could find something within reasonable distance (3-5hrs) and preferably in PA, that would be much better. Especially since I can't say that I know the gun laws in VA or MD, but at least I know that there aren't any problems bringing our 15rders, AK variant, and a pistol into PA. Unlike NY state where we can't bring pistols into their state, and I believe their magazine capacity is 10rds max.

You get what you pay for.

Vickers in VA is worth more that someone putting together a class in the area.

Consider contacting an instructor and finding out what they require to give or host a class in the area.

You get what you pay for.

Vickers in VA is worth more that someone putting together a class in the area.

Consider contacting an instructor and finding out what they require to give or host a class in the area.

Without a doubt, going to one of his classes (probably one of the best AK classes in the nation) would be better than other classes. But it's the fact that it is a pretty far drive and I'd have to drive through PA, MD, and into VA (don't know these states gun laws, and I'm sure all 3 are different). I would probably only go if I could find another person that would be willing to go with me.

But it's the fact that it is a pretty far drive and I'd have to drive through PA, MD, and into VA (don't know these states gun laws, and I'm sure all 3 are different). .

I have been through these state before and not just on a car/truck but on my bike. You know what we can so in PA and VA is pretty darn good also, but MD I treat that state the same way I treat NJ and how I transport. Do that and your good. Also if you want to know the laws in the different states check this out.

State Gun Laws

This is just one of the many sources of information, I also use USCCA on my iPhone for more of the CCW laws when on the road if I decide to take a different route some place and will be passing through a state I didn;t originally plan to go through.

Harry