Glock Guy

SHTF Disater, Goto Gun and Why?

Just ask them what they would do if there was a zombie invasion. That will break the ice and get the convo started in a lighthearted way. That way if they are anti's or respond in a really negative way you can discontinue the conversation no harm no foul.

You would need to get to know them first. Start a conversation on the weather when going for a walk. Ask them about their German Shepherd. Maybe when things get going, start out by asking them about forming a neighborhood watch and then going from there.

thank you, Wolfy. I think that's what I'm trying to get at. More moving parts equals a higher probability that something will fail.

Plus the fact that the 7.62x54 round will take down a damned bear. I would not want to be hit with that. If you could increase the capacity to 10 on the mosin you would be even better off. A little practice with the mosin and you have a great weapon. Would I prefer a reliable semi over a bolt action? Yup. The mosin is a fine weapon in my opinion. Built like a tank with a high caliber round. Gotta love that.

having been on the Saiga board for several years now.. I have yet to encounter a thread where someone says "my FCG is broken what should I do"

in a bolt gun there are STILL moving parts.. things like springs.. and still points of failure.. while I guess you could argue that since you are manually running the bolt there is less likelihood of a failure to eject.. I would have to agree.. since in a semi you are relying on the gun to cycle.. but if I had a failure to eject I would just hit the charging handle manually (kind of like a bolt gun).. and eject the round.. and while I will never claim that the AK47 is the end all zombie apocalypse gun (because that is all fantasy anyway) I will say they are EXTREMELY simple to clean.. operate.. and repair.. and the likelihood of you breaking one in an unrepairable way in your lifetime is VERY slim..

and if you really wanted to push it.. you could carry the parts needed to fix anything on an AK47 in a box half the size of its magazine (spare FCG, ejector, etc.... and the gun can be taken just about completely apart with little to no tools..

• Like 1

Plus the fact that the 7.62x54 round will take down a damned bear. I would not want to be hit with that. If you could increase the capacity to 10 on the mosin you would be even better off.

I did see something a few months ago that did bring it up to 10 rounds, can't remember where or I would post a link to it, someone else may remember and post it.

Harry

i got a good LOL from this only 150 yards for a mosin AHAHAHA

this is why yahoo answers suck and it was the best choice lol

No. Mosins have aftermarket parts but nothing to do with the magazine. And if they did it would be horribly unreliable. You really don't need it. You should inspect the muzzle to make sure the lands are strong. Mosins are only good out to 150 yards because the gun was a man stopper and therefore didn't need to be a precision weapon like the Germans had.

When it comes to corrosive any and all surplus and anything out of yugoslavia. Most modern made commercial ammo is not corrosive. All you really need to do is pour really hot water down the bore and a couple of hot water patches. Then clean like you normally would.

2 years ago

Plus the fact that the 7.62x54 round will take down a damned bear. I would not want to be hit with that. If you could increase the capacity to 10 on the mosin you would be even better off. A little practice with the mosin and you have a great weapon. Would I prefer a reliable semi over a bolt action? Yup. The mosin is a fine weapon in my opinion. Built like a tank with a high caliber round. Gotta love that.

I did see something a few months ago that did bring it up to 10 rounds, can't remember where or I would post a link to it, someone else may remember and post it.

Harry

here is my 2 cents.

While i do have bolt guns in the Armory for such a SHTF event i have found that certain ones like 98K's tend to do better on rapid fire tests and reloading when compared to the rimmed rounds of a Enfield or a Nagant.

In the bottom essence though my Mainline SHTF weapon is still a M1 Garand, but the SKS is still up there, both guns are utterly simplistic and reliable, the Garand has the full stopping power capability that i know, and the ability to to be reloaded quickly, yes on range tests i can reload all 3 the SKS, a 98K and a Garand all withing a few second of each other, but in the end the bolt gun falls slightly behind when it comes to firing because you still have to drop it to reload the next round.

If you were in a situation that demands the ability to be able to drop alot of firepower quickly then the bolt guns are not going to hold it. This is where i feel they are inadquite.

The lack of ability to handle rapid firepower at close quarters would mean, if you were being over run but multiple assailants you would quickly loose your advantage of being armed. Not to say that this wouldn't happen with a Semi, but more of the enemy would be on the ground before they got that close.

• Like 1

having been on the Saiga board for several years now.. I have yet to encounter a thread where someone says "my FCG is broken what should I do"

in a bolt gun there are STILL moving parts.. things like springs.. and still points of failure.. while I guess you could argue that since you are manually running the bolt there is less likelihood of a failure to eject.. I would have to agree.. since in a semi you are relying on the gun to cycle.. but if I had a failure to eject I would just hit the charging handle manually (kind of like a bolt gun).. and eject the round.. and while I will never claim that the AK47 is the end all zombie apocalypse gun (because that is all fantasy anyway) I will say they are EXTREMELY simple to clean.. operate.. and repair.. and the likelihood of you breaking one in an unrepairable way in your lifetime is VERY slim..

and if you really wanted to push it.. you could carry the parts needed to fix anything on an AK47 in a box half the size of its magazine (spare FCG, ejector, etc.... and the gun can be taken just about completely apart with little to no tools..

Vlad where did I state a bolt had no moving parts? The point I am making is the bolt has fewer moving parts and they are under less stresses than a semi bolt cycling.

It certainly would be good to be able to band with fellow firearms owners in one's neighborhood in the event of a disaster, but I have no idea how to broach the subject in advance without tipping them off that I'm an owner. Any suggestions? Or would you just wait until trouble strikes and see who comes of of their house holding a gun?

Your neighbors don't need to be gun owners to get into the survivor team with you; they just need to be dependable and trustworthy. You probably have more firearms than you can use at once so you could use additional people. Not everyone on your survival team needs to be a sentry, there are other jobs and responsibilities that are needed.

I'd rather have neighbors with a generator and 3 months of food stockpiled than a gun owner with no supplies.

I'm of the opinion that people are basically good and will band together to survive. Camaraderie with your neighbors trumps who has firearms.

Your neighbors don't need to be gun owners to get into the survivor team with you; they just need to be dependable and trustworthy. You probably have more firearms than you can use at once so you could use additional people. Not everyone on your survival team needs to be a sentry, there are other jobs and responsibilities that are needed.

I'd rather have neighbors with a generator and 3 months of food stockpiled than a gun owner with no supplies.

I'm of the opinion that people are basically good and will band together to survive. Camaraderie with your neighbors trumps who has firearms.

So I guess it is time to build or find a neighborhood plan or checklist. The generator is on order. Need to determine how many jobs are needed to cover 3 - 8 hr shifts. Also need to find a list of what foods can be stockpiled. The racks for the pantry and ammo storage arrived.

Vlad where did I state a bolt had no moving parts? The point I am making is the bolt has fewer moving parts and they are under less stresses than a semi bolt cycling.

was not saying you said there where none.. my point was.. AKs fail on such an infrequent basis that if you are going to be concerned about something failing in an AK.. then you should have equal concern about a bolt gun...

the reality is if there is some type of serious mass civil unrest where society comes crashing to its knees not a single one of us will grab ONE gun... and the gun that you would grab would IMO be dictated by the environment you are in.. if you are in downtown camden.. and it all goes to ****.. I am simply saying that a bolt gun would not be my go to gun... now if I lived "on the land" in the middle of nowhere.. then yeah sure.. maybe? and I was just pointing out with a gun as simple as an AK.. you can negate pretty much any failure by packing a replacement FCG and maybe a hammer spring? all of which could be replaced on the fly with MINIMAL tools.. at the end of the day... whatever is right for you is the best answer..

check at about 2minutes in.. pretty amazing..