Luke_WO

Long Outdoor Public Range

Hey guys. I know there's a thread on range locations and the like on this site, but I figured I would just ask a straight question.

I just picked up a new Tikka T3 last week, and I'm itching to try it out. I hope to use it as a hunting rifle eventually, but for now, I just wanna get some range time with it. I think you can all understand that I'd rather shoot it outside than inside, and I'd like to find a place that has as long a range as possible, just so I can have the options of long shots available.

So the real question is, do you guys know of any place in New Jersey (or a reasonable drive into PA or NY) that offers an outdoor range of more than 100 yards? Obviously I don't expect something like 1,000 yards, but it'd be nice if some place had AT LEAST 200 yards, if not more. Of course, another issue is that I am not a member at any particular place. The type of place I'm looking for would have to allow me to walk in from off the street.

Any knowledge you guys have would be awesome. Thanks a lot.

I mean, I don't mind becoming a member of a place, provided that I like it and I see myself going back a few times. Does anyone know off the top of their head what the membership prices are for some of these places? I have no problem joining if it's not too steep.

Seems like a hell of a deal. Really cheap, no?

Anyone know anything about Hutton Hill Rifle and Revolver Club? Price is steeper, but looks like they have a lot of cool facilities.

Cherry Ridge is $190 for the first year and $132 each year after that. There is no hourly fee.

Can't help you on Hutton Hill.

mifflin range is a nice place.no one bothers you.it goes to 1000yards the only 2 drawbacks are that the range starts at the bottom of a mountain and you shoot uphill beyond 300 yards,so your bench setup has to be able to give you elevation to aim uphill.the other being that it is about 1 hour north of when you swing north at harrisberg.for me its a 41/2 hour drive.once got there on a friday and the gate was open.they were giving the range a cleanup.got to shoot 1 hour before driving home.they have a phone message now im told to give warnings about things like this now.

Where are you located?

South Jersey Shoting Club has a 100 and a 300 yard range. 250ish a year

Cumberland Rifleman has a 600 yard range. Don't know price.

Mullica Hill Rifle and Postol has a 200 yarder, 200 the first year 100 each additional.

Is Cumberland a public range? I thought it was private and they were not accepting memberships at this time.

Where are you located?

South Jersey Shoting Club has a 100 and a 300 yard range. 250ish a year

Cumberland Rifleman has a 600 yard range. Don't know price.

Mullica Hill Rifle and Postol has a 200 yarder, 200 the first year 100 each additional.

Cumberland is a private range. If your interested in it the application process takes a while. Someone may know better then I but I believe they open up membership a couple times a year. I went through the process a few years ago but found Mullica Hill in the mean time and joined there.

Mullic Hill Rifle and Pistol is located on route 347 at mile 6.5 (Maurice River Twp - Cumberland county) not far from the Cumberland County / Cape May County line. If your in the area and want to check it out PM me and I'll show you around. Joining is easy.

I forgot about USANA in Elmer. They used to have day passes to the range but many things have changed and I don know of they still do that. Tosser is out USANA expert.

hi lunker, do you know their membership process? Can you apply on site or have to wait for some voting.

Can't find any thing online.

thanks.

Range 14, next to Fort Dix. $60 per year for membership. It is $3 per hour to shoot as a member. Great range but limited hours (i.e. Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday).

It's not that sophisticated. You show up and pay $60. They give you a paper membership card that is good for a year. There is no online process.

My suggestion would be to grab a friend and head over there. Don't be intimidated. It is painless and easy as pie. Range 14 is open Wednesday afternoons and Weekend mornings.

Why is NJ so expensive compared to PA? The club I joined out there is only $25 for the first year and $20 after that. They even hold monthly raffles where the winner gets a rifle/shotgun (after a $25 entry fee). AND they have fully stocked fishing ponds.

Is it something with NJ's taxes? Environmental remediation policies? Liability?

I only ask because if I have to drive an hour to CR and pay $132/yr or drive an hour + 20min out into PA and pay $20/yr (and be within 15 minutes of Cabelas) then it's an easy choice (for me). If I had a range 10 minutes away though, then maybe I wouldn't mind paying more... but equidistant, then I go for what's cheaper.

Why is NJ so expensive compared to PA? The club I joined out there is only $25 for the first year and $20 after that. They even hold monthly raffles where the winner gets a rifle/shotgun (after a $25 entry fee). AND they have fully stocked fishing ponds.

Is it something with NJ's taxes? Environmental remediation policies? Liability?

I only ask because if I have to drive an hour to CR and pay $132/yr or drive an hour + 20min out into PA and pay $20/yr (and be within 15 minutes of Cabelas) then it's an easy choice (for me). If I had a range 10 minutes away though, then maybe I wouldn't mind paying more... but equidistant, then I go for what's cheaper.

1) No real public ranges, no support form state funds.

2) Cost of realestate.

3) Population density. Ranges zoned as such actually have decent recourse to complaints under NJ law for the most part, but most aren't zoned that way, so what you get are things protected by circumstance. For example, the OBRPC outdoor range is leased. The reason we still have it is that it's on the edge of the former nike missile base. The town doesn't want high density residences built there, and the nike missile base is a nasty toxic mess in many parts, and swampy in others. So to be of any use, not only does the range land need to be remediated, but so do adjoining parcels. I'm sure losing it will become a concern again if the realestate market starts booming again.

Awesome feedback guys. Thanks. The limited hours at Fort Dix is kind of a turn off. It sucks being in West Orange because anything worth driving to is mostly in South Jersey or into PA. I'll keep looking into it.

Simply put, I'm looking for the best combo of distance and price. Hopefully I'll find a good combination. Sounds like Cherry Ridge might be it. What's the membership process like?

I was told first Sunday of every month. Show up and sign up. The process start from there.

I'm comparing it with shongum and CJRPC. They are all 1.5 hr drive from my home.

Awesome feedback guys. Thanks. The limited hours at Fort Dix is kind of a turn off. It sucks being in West Orange because anything worth driving to is mostly in South Jersey or into PA. I'll keep looking into it.

Simply put, I'm looking for the best combo of distance and price. Hopefully I'll find a good combination. Sounds like Cherry Ridge might be it. What's the membership process like?

thanks, that sounds easy fun time.

[edit] found some details from other site

Wednesday

1:00 - 8pm

Friday

(April - Dec Only)

1:00 - 8pm

Saturday & Sunday

8:00am - 4pm

Hours are subject to change

-------------

Rod & Gun Club members who pay $60, $30 or $20 membership fee can have additional family members join at the cost of $15, $10 or $5.

Family members are:

A spouse and any dependants under the age of 19.

With an advance activity card you are entitled to:

Bring up to 4 guests to use Range 14 facilities. Guest will pay the same usage fee as members.

Purchase a $10 Contest Eligibility Card and be eligible to enter the Rod & Gun Club's Hunting/Fishing Contest. Contests for fishing include: Saltwater-Fluke, Bluefish & Striped Bass and Freshwater-Trout, Pickerel, Largemouth Bass. Contests For hunting include Longest Turkey Beard, Largest Deer Rack in Bow, Shotgun & Muzzleloader season.

Use of Range 14 Facilities: Archery - $3/Day, Rifle & Pistol - $3/Hour, Skeet & Trap - $3 Round (1 Round=25 Clay Pigeons).

Attend the Rod & Gun Club Monthly Meeting at Range 14.

Access to the Rod & Gun Club Quarterly Newsletter.

Utilize Outdoor Recreation's Equipment Resource Center for rentals.

Participate in Outdoor Recreation's Ultimate Adventure Trips.

Contact Range 14 - [email protected]

It's not that sophisticated. You show up and pay $60. They give you a paper membership card that is good for a year. There is no online process.

My suggestion would be to grab a friend and head over there. Don't be intimidated. It is painless and easy as pie. Range 14 is open Wednesday afternoons and Weekend mornings.

Cherry Ridge is $190 for the first year and $132 each year after that. There is no hourly fee.

Could they have boosted their fee? The site says $210 and $142. I'm considering this range cause it close to my place, but is steep for a grad student