MediaManNJ

Trap Shooting...where?

Hi all. I've wanted to go trap shooting for a long time. I just found out my dad used to LOVE it, so I really want to go out with him now. I found Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club offers it, but I'm not a member and I can't find anywhere on their site that they are open to non-members. Does anyone know of another place in central / south Jersey?

Thanks!

--Brian

PS: I just found these forums. This place is awesome!

Lots of places!

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/NJ

I go to Citizens in West Windsor on Tuesday nights (this is the last month they are open on Tuesday nights) and Sunday afternoons (1ish to 6ish). Open to the public.

I also go to Mallard in Monroe on Wednesday nights (4pm to 7ish). I think they are also open on Saturday mornings. Open to the public.

Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club has something similar to 5-stand for lack of a better description, but with only 2 stands. Sorta a mix of Trap and Sporting Clays. They are open to the public for this twice a month on Sunday mornings at their outdoor facility.

I go through a LOT of shells! :)

Hi all. I've wanted to go trap shooting for a long time. I just found out my dad used to LOVE it, so I really want to go out with him now. I found Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club offers it, but I'm not a member and I can't find anywhere on their site that they are open to non-members. Does anyone know of another place in central / south Jersey?

Thanks!

--Brian

PS: I just found these forums. This place is awesome!

Hello and welcome to the Forums. We've been waiting for you...

Range 14 at Fort Dix. $60 per year to join. They have trap.

The trap field is still under construction. They have several skeet ranges. You can simulate trap on the skeet range by just using the skeet square under each clay house.

It is $60 to join for a year, and $3 for each 25 target round. I really like Range 14 as you get your own field. The clay houses are automatic, you get a buttons box on a cable (high/low/both) that reaches all the stages.

There's a trap and skeet range in Sparta off route 15 - Sundays for sure, maybe another night during the week?

There's a trap range in Chester/Flanders on 206, Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings.

If you like sporting clays, I recommend Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays in PA.

Howell Trap Club - also called Salomon's - good place for reloading supplies...

There used to be a place in Englishtown I think but I believe it is defunct...

As a side-note, Dicks has their ammo on sale, buy 1 case, get the second at 1/2 price. I just picked-up another 8 cases for me and the wife. The shopping cart wasn't happy with 2000 12 gauge shells in it!

That's a great deal! I may have to stop at a Dicks tonight.

Side note...I went to their site to look at a sale flyer. My "home store" is in Brick. It showed me a bike assembly guide as the sale flyer. Had to change to Manahawkin to see the real deal. :) I usually shop at www.cheaperthandirt.com ...but for 50% off, I'm sure Dicks wins!

Thanks for all the options guys! I'm waiting for my pops to get his over/under fixed. Once that happens we're probably going to go.

Having never gone before, I know very little about the sport. I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions for me:

* I'm assuming I have to bring my own clays/targets? I imagine places sell them there, but they are probably cheaper elsewhere?

* How many rounds can I expect to go through in an afternoon? I've heard guesstimates from 200-2000. Looking at probably 2 hours...maybe 3...

* I've been trying to find the differences between skeet & trap. From what I gather...in skeet you have two houses that launch targets towards each other, and you walk around them in a 1/2 circle, stopping to take shots. In trap, you don't move, and you stand behind one house that launches one target in a random direction. Is this correct?

Thanks guys!

Kinda, sorta, but nope.

First, these places supply the clays, you don't. I pay $4.50 per round of 25 at Mallard, $4 per round of 25 at Citizens. Most places are in this price range.

Skeet, I have not done it yet, but was told the clays go from left to right and right to left in front of you. You are not susposed to hit them at the same time, one at a time. You take two consectutive shots. I would rather try to hit them both as they cross, but I was told this is against the rules if you actually do this in competition.

Trap, there are 5 positions 16 yards behind the trap house. The clay gets thrown, you shoot at it, the person to your right does the same thing, until all 5 of you have shot. Continue in the same position for 4 more shots. Now everyone moves one position to the right, the person in position #5 goes to position #1. Everyone gets 5 shots from each position. Now this is VERY IMPORTANT! You only load ONE shell at a time and you keep the action OPEN until it is your turn to shoot! After your 5th shot you DO NOT put another shell in the gun. You must wait until you move to your next shooting position. Everywhere I have gone there is a rubber pad that you put the end of the barrel on while waiting for your turn to shoot again. You DON'T rest it on your foot! You only close the action once the gun is pointed up and towards the house. We don't have a time limit, there are no extra points for being a quick-draw in this type of shooting event. Take your time, be safe, have fun!

Just get to a place early and watch for a round or two and you will get it. I never met anyone that won't answer any of your questions, even those that you haven't asked. ;)

People seem very friendly at these places, just tell them you are new and they will gladly help you!

PS: I average a case a week by myself. If my wife and friends come with me I go through about 2 cases per week.

Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays is a must-visit for anyone that likes to shoot clays! No ifs-ands-or buts! I am very glad I was told about the place. My wife and I have been there several times so far. Can't wait to go back! Haven't been to Grumpys BBQ, but plan on doing that on our next trip.

There are a few places in South Jersey that also have sporting clays but they are actually further from me than Lehigh is. I know there are other places in "Free America", IE: PA, that have Sporting Clays also, just across the river.

Click on the link I put above and it will show you all the Sporting Clays (Trap, Skeet, etc...) in NJ. My goal is to get to them all within a year! :)