irishpete

CX4 in 9mm

This is looking like its next on my shopping list however I would really like to try shooting it before I plonk down the cash.

Does anyone with a CX4 in 9mm/whatever go to the bullethole/G&S/Bayonne and also be willing to let me try it ? :lol:

I know the standard advice is go to shoreshot but its nigh on impossible for me to abscond for half the day to do it.

I recommend a used Ruger PC9 (9mm) or PC4 (40S&W). I loved the ergodynamics of the Beretta but never grew to love the space age plastic look and feel.

function > form

imo of course... if the gun is light... if it is accurate... if it is reliable.. who the hell cares that it looks like it is from a sci fi novel.. lol

function > form

imo of course... if the gun is light... if it is accurate... if it is reliable.. who the hell cares that it looks like it is from a sci fi novel.. lol

That is true when it is made of spaceage polymer and quality internal parts, like a SCAR. To me there were too many cheap plastic internals for me to think the CX4 will withstand the test of time. The Ruger has a utilitarian plastic stock, but the internals are pretty bulletproof. The only thing I miss is that the CX4 was a tackdriver. The Ruger sights are a little cruder.

I agree the steel guiderod is a must, first thing I did. I am iffy on replacing the trigger and hammer. I am happy with the stock trigger for it as a carbine, maybe replace it for target work. Looking at how the stock hammer works, it looks like you are creating a new wear point with the metal on plastic shelf.

Did you do both trigger and hammer? Any feedback or concerns?

The metal hammer and trigger from Sierra Papa were a definite improvement, especially in trigger pull. All trigger flex was removed too.

the gun in factory form is questionable.. with the upgraded SP parts to me it is perfect.. and as you said.. the thing is ungodly accurate even out to 150 + yards with just the factory sights..

SO all in all, looks like CX4 is not a Northern NJ favorite but plenty popular down south.

Upshot is, I wont get to try it before I buy it but all the feedback seems pretty positive on this.

Thanks to wolfy & medic3166 for the offer, would love to take you guys up on the offer But do not have the hours necessary to get down south.

As a matter of interest what cost is associated with & where do you get the

A) Stainless steel guide rod

B) "Sierra Papa" trigger mod.

Do either require a gunsmith ?

SO all in all, looks like CX4 is not a Northern NJ favorite but plenty popular down south.

Upshot is, I wont get to try it before I buy it but all the feedback seems pretty positive on this.

Thanks to wolfy & medic3166 for the offer, would love to take you guys up on the offer But do not have the hours necessary to get down south.

Neither requires a gunsmith. Just a little patience on your part. You can buy both here.

http://sierrapapacx4.com/

brownells has them as well..

i have one, and am in NNJ. im just starting work again, but given enough notice, i can meet you at the hole, bayonne, or cherry ridge if you want to try it, more then likely on a weekend only.

It's slightly more of a challenge to shoot. The 9mm is boring, no recoil and not really challlenging

I don't follow you, although I will say that one in 40S&W would make a great gun for home defense. The 9mm will too though, so who cares.

It's slightly more of a challenge to shoot. The 9mm is boring, no recoil and not really challlenging

No problem Bry@n we got you covered, you want a little recoil here ya go, It;s not a S&W 500 but it should do...

Just A Little Recoil

Harry

i have one, and am in NNJ. im just starting work again, but given enough notice, i can meet you at the hole, bayonne, or cherry ridge if you want to try it, more then likely on a weekend only.

I will gladly take you up on that offer, Bullethole is nearby so any weekend I should be able to tag along. I will be there today Sunday around 2pm

I am getting the wife into shooting too and she's liking the look of the CX4 too

The CX4 never did it for me. I liked the design of a compact carbine that shoots pistol calibers, but at the same time I didn't like that a lot of it was plastic and the fact that it was an in between gun. If I need to shoot anything over 75yds, I am going to use my rifles. If I need to shoot anything less than that, I have shotguns and pistols.

I think it was more of a 'want' than a need, which some times isn't a bad thing. I think it would be cool to have in your collection but when I owned it, I could have thought of 10 other guns I'd prefer over the CX4.

Hence, why it lasted shortly in my collection.

home defense night time situation.. the CX4 does it for me..

I have shot my hand guns with a handheld flashlight.. I have also shot them with a weapon mounted light system.. since the CX4 is 2 handed, shoulder supported.. I find the addition of a weapon mounted light to be a lot less cumbersome and a lot smoother than either pistol alternative..

being a carbine you get added control and stability by the addition of a stock.. this also makes recoil that much more controllable.. making it easier to land follow up shots.. again.. beating out my pistols..

I have shot and hit COM easily out to 150yards with nothing more than the factory sights... far more than ANY home self defense situation.. the gun is disgustingly accurate..

the gun is stupid looking.. lol.. but the ergonomics are extremely natural.. you shoulder the gun and it creates a tight tiny package, that is almost immediately on target..

I have never had a single FTE or FTF..

the cons.. the FCG the gun comes with sucks.. but the sierra papa offering pretty much fixes that..

shotguns are great.. pistols are great also.. but something went bump in the night.. and I had to grab ONE gun that I was confident would end the problem with the least amount of chance of killing others in the process it would be my CX4.. it might not be the perfect gun for everyone.. but to me.. for short range interior situation.. I can not imagine something better.. I prefer 40.. but at that range.. 9 should have no problem getting it done..

cx41.JPG