gunforhire

Rules for the Non-Military on Kickin' a**

1. The next time you see any adults talking (or wearing a hat) during the playing of the National Anthem - kick their a**.

2.. When you witness, firsthand, someone burning the American Flag in protest - kick their a**

3. Regardless of the rank they held while they served, pay the highest amount of respect to all veterans. If you see anyone doing otherwise, quietly pull them aside and explain how these veterans fought for the very freedom they bask in every second. Enlighten them on the many sacrifices these veterans made to make this Nation great. Then hold them down while a disabled veteran kicks their a**.

4. If you were never in the military, DO NOT pretend that you were. Wearing battle dress uniforms (BDUs) or Jungle Fatigues, telling others that you used to be 'Special Forces' could beget an a** kickin’. Collecting GI Joe memorabilia, might have been okay when you were seven years old; now, it will only make you look stupid and get your a** kicked.

5. Next time you come across an *Air Force* member, do not ask them, 'Do you fly a jet?' Not everyone in the Air Force is a pilot. Such ignorance deserves an a**-kicking (children are exempt).

6. If you witness someone calling the *US Coast Guard* 'non-military', inform them of their mistake - and kick their a**.

7. Next time Old Glory (the US flag) passes by during a parade, get on your damn feet and pay homage to her by placing your hand over your heart. Quietly thank the military member or veteran lucky enough to be carrying her - of course, failure to do either of those could earn you a severe a**-kicking.

9. 'Your mama wears combat boots' never made sense to me - stop saying it! If she did, she would most likely be a vet and therefore would kick your a**!

10. 'Flyboy' (*Air Force*), 'Jarhead' (*Marines*), 'Grunt' (*Army*), 'Squid' (*Navy*), 'Puddle Jumpers' (*Coast Guard*), etc., are terms of endearment we use describing each other. Unless you are a service member or vet, you have not earned the right to use them. Using them could get your a** kicked..

11. Last, but not least, whether or not you become a member of the military, support our troops and their families. Every Thanksgiving and religious holiday that you enjoy with family and friends, please remember that there are literally thousands of soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen far from home wishing they could be with their families. Thank God for our military and the sacrifices they make every day. Without them, our Country would get it's a** kicked.

12. 'It's the Veteran, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press.'

'It's the Veteran, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.'

'It's the Veteran, not the community organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.'

'It's the Military who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.'

• Like 5

By far my biggest pet peeve right here. You need to earn the right! Good post by the way.

10. 'Flyboy' (*Air Force*), 'Jarhead' (*Marines*), 'Grunt' (*Army*), 'Squid' (*Navy*), 'Puddle Jumpers' (*Coast Guard*), etc., are terms of endearment we use describing each other. Unless you are a service member or vet, you have not earned the right to use them. Using them could get your a** kicked..

Yup yup. I've heard quite a few stories of the shop clerks and gun show patrons not following this rule. :icon_mrgreen:

We had a 30 something guy come in the Bhole to shoot one day, he was wearing BDU's with converse sneakers and a Navy Officer shirt with Admiral insignias and shoulder boards! WTF.

I am personal friends with an FBI agent who's job is to attend military funerals, events, and parades and seek out stolen valor! He has locked up quite a few low life imposters. Man the stories he tell's us at the school. You would not believe some of it.

Anthony

my dad is and always will be a MARINE!

im a civilian, and dont pretend to be anything else. (almost too old to change now)

i appreciate what the men & women have done for this country & the flag.

burn a flag in front of me....we fightin! disrespect the services....we fightin. :threaten:

if you dont like this country, get the f**k out! (starting w/ that b*tch, M_Obama!)

4. If you were never in the military, DO NOT pretend that you were. Wearing battle dress uniforms (BDUs) or Jungle Fatigues, telling others that you used to be 'Special Forces' could beget an a** kickin’. Collecting GI Joe memorabilia, might have been okay when you were seven years old; now, it will only make you look stupid and get your a** kicked.

This my biggest one, for sure. The last I checked, you can still enlist, so rather than pretend, go for it and join-up.

Always brings me back to the Army Officer who would wear the seal badge on his uniform. That was funny as hell.

So many guys say they were seals and get caught on the internet on forums by guys that actually are seals. lol

3. Regardless of the rank they held while they served, pay the highest amount of respect to all veterans. If you see anyone doing otherwise, quietly pull them aside and explain how these veterans fought for the very freedom they bask in every second. Enlighten them on the many sacrifices these veterans made to make this Nation great. Then hold them down while a disabled veteran kicks their a**.

I'm prepared for a lot of -1s on this one...

But what about veterans who aren't respectful of our freedoms or are even criminals? In the last 10 years or so, the military let in a lot of riff raff to keep the ranks full... a lot of gang members, rapists, and puppy throwers. While I don't mean to tarnish ALL veterans, there are a few of them that aren't really deserving of the respect that should be given to those who served with honor. Especially those who did not conduct themselves properly in the service of our nation by violating our own laws and treaties and those who were dishonorably discharged because of that. So maybe we can allow an exception for these folks?

Also... all my life, I've heard of soldiers fighting and dying for our freedoms. And while some fights in recent years were intended to protect us from direct foreign threats (War on Terror, USA vs. Al Qaeda), some things were pretty far off the mark in terms of defending American "freedom" at home. How did invading Iraq (twice) constitute defending our freedoms? Or taking action in Libya?

I only ask this, because it is a bit naive to assume that our warfighters are out there fighting and dying to make sure our freedoms are intact when they are usually in these hellholes because some fool of a politician wanted them there. I also feel it gives young folks the wrong idea when they make the decision to enter our nations armed forces... and when they end up in some god-forsaken foreign land with IEDs exploding all around them, then they may find the whole "fighting for our freedoms" line to be a bitter one to swallow. I'm also not going to say that is any fault of our fighting men and women, but something that can be attributed to the political leaders of our nation. All in all, I think those who made the sacrifice to serve our nation still deserve the utmost respect and honors of doing so.

Furthermore... it appears to me that the greatest threat to American Rights and Freedoms today isn't some foreign oppressor... but the enemy within. Politicians in Washington DC and in our very own home state of New Jersey have done more to weaken our freedoms and sully the memory of those who died in defense of them than any foreign nation ever wished they could, yet they never got the pleasure of meeting a 2,000 lb laser guided bomb face to face.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is: in a democracy... freedom is defended best by those who are vigilant of our elected officials and aware of the issues challenging our nation, and it is up to them to fight to ensure those freedoms remain intact and in accordance with the Constitution of the United States. Our votes here at home are just as important as the bullets, shells, and missiles we send downrange to vanquish enemies of our freedom, both foreign and domestic.

Again, pleaseeeeee, please don't take this as some statement to discredit or disrespect our military, but I am curious to hear what veterans themselves think of the whole "we fought for your freedom" bit.

6. If you witness someone calling the *US Coast Guard* 'non-military', inform them of their mistake - and kick their a**.

This is an iffy one from a regulatory point of view... mainly because they operate within the DHS normally, and under the DoD in wartime (declaration or presidential order). Wouldn't they technically be a 'paramilitary' organization as opposed to a 'military' one?

Just call them 'warfighters'. It's s widely applicable, non-gender denominated term. Though Obama wants us to stop using that one now too... that moron. :icon_rolleyes:

• Like 3

But what about veterans who aren't respectful of our freedoms or are even criminals? In the last 10 years or so, the military let in a lot of riff raff to keep the ranks full... a lot of gang members, rapists, and puppy throwers. While I don't mean to tarnish ALL veterans, there are a few of them that aren't really deserving of the respect that should be given to those who served with honor. Especially those who did not conduct themselves properly in the service of our nation by violating our own laws and treaties and those who were dishonorably discharged because of that. So maybe we can allow an exception for these folks?

Also... all my life, I've heard of soldiers fighting and dying for our freedoms. And while some fights in recent years were intended to protect us from direct foreign threats (War on Terror, USA vs. Al Qaeda), some things were pretty far off the mark in terms of defending American "freedom" at home. How did invading Iraq (twice) constitute defending our freedoms? Or taking action in Libya?

I only ask this, because it is a bit naive to assume that our warfighters are out there fighting and dying to make sure our freedoms are intact when they are usually in these hellholes because some fool of a politician wanted them there. I also feel it gives young folks the wrong idea when they make the decision to enter our nations armed forces... and when they end up in some god-forsaken foreign land with IEDs exploding all around them, then they may find the whole "fighting for our freedoms" line to be a bitter one to swallow. I'm also not going to say that is any fault of our fighting men and women, but something that can be attributed to the political leaders of our nation. All in all, I think those who made the sacrifice to serve our nation still deserve the utmost respect and honors of doing so.

Furthermore... it appears to me that the greatest threat to American Rights and Freedoms today isn't some foreign oppressor... but the enemy within. Politicians in Washington DC and in our very own home state of New Jersey have done more to weaken our freedoms and sully the memory of those who died in defense of them than any foreign nation ever wished they could, yet they never got the pleasure of meeting a 2,000 lb laser guided bomb face to face.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is: in a democracy... freedom is defended best by those who are vigilant of our elected officials and aware of the issues challenging our nation, and it is up to them to fight to ensure those freedoms remain intact and in accordance with the Constitution of the United States. Our votes here at home are just as important as the bullets, shells, and missiles we send downrange to vanquish enemies of our freedom, both foreign and domestic.

Again, pleaseeeeee, please don't take this as some statement to discredit or disrespect our military, but I am curious to hear what veterans themselves think of the whole "we fought for your freedom" bit.

This is an iffy one from a regulatory point of view... mainly because they operate within the DHS normally, and under the DoD in wartime (declaration or presidential order). Wouldn't they technically be a 'paramilitary' organization as opposed to a 'military' one?

Just call them 'warfighters'. It's s widely applicable, non-gender denominated term. Though Obama wants us to stop using that one now too... that moron. :icon_rolleyes:

But this is why America is still the best country because you can still voice your opinions.

Nicely said. You have some very valid points.

My father was National Guard. My Step father was a Marine in Khe Sahn in 67-68-69(3 tours), his last was cut short by a few months due to his 2nd purple heart. My Sister retired from the Reserves as a Captain. My brother just about has his 20 and while I'm unclear on his current rank I do know he was a Pathfinder and spent quite a lot of time in Iraq very early on. My other brother did 6 as Mechanize infantry and is currently a LEO in Michigan. I probably would have done service if I didn't have Asthma.

I'm offended when I see people act like they were in the military or use the terms and lingo as if they know wtf they're talking about. I know enough to know that even I don't know enough to fake it and I know quite a lot just from the exposure i've had.

Being that this is America you can make any exception you want. But because there are bad apples in every group you shouldn't hold it against people who served. We wouldn't want anyone taking away our 2nd amendment rights because a few people use weapons for illegal purposes, would we?

Our War fighters go where they are told and follow orders of those above their paygrades, they don't have the option of choosing which fight they deploy to. So whether you think those wars we are a fighting are for your freedom remember they go where they are told. We have to follow what the commander in chief decides, even if we didn't vote for those in power.

I agree here 100 percent, we take voting for granted and most just pull a lever without any research

No exceptions needed, Those you mentioned, they are not veterans, they are criminals.

A valid gripe for sure, but one that should be taken up with others. Also, the action in Libya was a NATO operation, and if I'm not mistaken, other countries NOT the US took the lead. But your point is taken.

I only ask this, because it is a bit naive to assume that our warfighters are out there fighting and dying to make sure our freedoms are intact when they are usually in these hellholes because some fool of a politician wanted them there. All in all, I think those who made the sacrifice to serve our nation still deserve the utmost respect and honors of doing so.

Some might say it is naive to think they we aren't.

They have, we do, and will continue to do so. You make it seem as if what the military does, doesn't really matter.

The Coast Guard has a largely different mission, hense the name, Coast Guard. If you want to view it differently, that is fine. I think the point is that just because the Coast Guard is different, doesn't mean they shouldn't get the same respect as any other branch of service.

• Like 1

I'll be honest, and I'm a veteran who gets kind of embarrassed when given thanks or acknowledgement for the time I did. I'm satisfied and proud of the time I did, and maybe when I'm older and can appreciate things, I'll feel differently-- but for the time being I would rather someone take the time to understand the sacrifice, and not necessarily just appreciate it (I feel there is a significant difference).

Simply appreciating is to be simply acknowledged-- and it's not that I'm ungrateful, as it takes a bit of courage to even say 'thank you' to a complete stranger. I just feel that if someone were to take the time to ask a person for their story, it would mean much more. To understand where one has walked not only helps the one who asked, but helps make sense of what one has done... and it's a process that I, as a veteran, and others I know, take years to make sense (of which I am still trying to figure out actually).

As for the rest, I think it's pretty amusing, having worked primarily in a joint services environment my whole enlistment. I worked varying missions with Zoomies, Squids, Tadpoles, and Jarheads, and I had the opportunity to mingle and really embed myself in the differing cultures, and, ultimately, the combined one, so much so that going to an actual Army post was kind of intimidating.

Great times, and while I learned to never: call a Gunny by his first name in front of his other Marines even if we were best buds; request a Zoomie to actually get some stuff done (as they were usually tied up studying for their never-ending USAF test); ask a Squid about their portcalls right after/during eating; nor ever give Tadpoles their credit (even though it's due), I see them as all equals and have been blessed to have a network of brothers and sisters-in-arms who just happen to wear different uniforms.

So, next time you get the chance, instead of just thanking a veteran, if you have the time, ask for her or his story. Good chance you'll get a good one, and it will help a new generation of veterans, in a sense, heal and/or make sense of their past-- even if they don't know it, yet.

• Like 4