Shawnmoore81

Restraining order

Could be PD policy. No ammo is to be retained in the PD property room. It was probably destroyed. BTW, they weren't supposed to take ammunition. That was not required by law. Kiss it goodbye.

If it was seized, shouldn't there be a record of it? The government isn't allowed to take your property and not return it without compensation.

I used to yell at the patrol officer who seized the ammo during a DV. They are not supposed to take it according to the direction by the county prosecutor's office. Of course, there is always extenuating circumstances. This being said, we had a local policy that said that no ammunition was to be kept that was found or confiscated. It had to be destroyed. Strange, as all the PD's ammo was in the next room.

There will be a record of the seizure, but forget about getting it back.

Taking a citizen's ammo (or any other property) and destroying it without compensation is likely a 5A/14A violation. I would suggest a lawyer. Federal statute allows for attorney's fees on recovery, so, the lawsuit wouldn't even cost the guy a penny.

He said they told him they couldn't give him a receipt that night. He is going tomorrow to pick up an inventory list. My guess is the cops kept it and that ammo won't be on that sheet.

Yeah but if it isn't documented on the inventory list. He sounds SOL.