99ways2die

SIG front sight installation

Hi guys,

Looking for a smith who has experience with Sig X5 fiber optic sight installation in Freehold area (Monmouth and Middlesex counties).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Pistol in Q: brand new Sig P226 X5 Allround

Sights: front only: HighViz or Dawson FO (green)

Thanks.

Not sure on how our is but I just did a DP fiber sight on my GSG 1911, it was easy, I just had to file the front of the sights dovetail a little at a time to fit it. Takes a bunch of tries being you can take material off easy enough, but putting it back on doesn't work. One thing I will do in the future is make up a stepped plastic sight punch like the metal one that cam with the sight to avoid marking up the dovetail a little bit like I did on mine but nothing bad or noticeable unless you look for it.

You know, after a bit of research I may just do it myself (but still would like to know who does this kinda work in my area).

The good folks over @ sig forum have a wonderful "tool rental program" where a few guys who own sight pushers/etc lend them out to members, for free.

I'll probably make arrangements for that and see how I make out.

Thanks.

Unlike the motor oil in my truck, I don't intend to change that front sight every couple of months.

I'm sure a sight tool is nice to own, but I can't justify the expense for "once in a blue moon" use.

Luckily the good folks @ SF are able to assist-and for that I am grateful.

We'll see how it goes...

Where are you located? I need to replace the front sight on my 226 as well. If you're interested I could guest you into SCFGPA and we could install both front sights and get them zeroed in without any RO breathing down your neck.

j0n,

I'm in 07751, but wouldn't mind driving up to Bridgewater.

And yeah.... definitely willing to help you out with this.

Hope you're not in a rush - hah. I just checked my emails a sec ago (as I was typing this up) and my "lender" wrote to tell me that he just realized that his tool wouldn't work with P series. So it looks like I have to get one of the other folks lined up - which shouldn't be a problem, but may take a bit more time.

I can email/PM you when I make other arrangements and have something lined up. We can schedule the install then.

Let me know if you're still interested.

Where are you located? I need to replace the front sight on my 226 as well. If you're interested I could guest you into SCFGPA and we could install both front sights and get them zeroed in without any RO breathing down your neck.

What are you replacing it with?

autoxnyc,

When do you think you'll be available?

If we could arrange it, would you be willing to let us take it to a range for a couple of hours?

(it's always nice to set the new sights then take a few shots to see if any further adjustment is needed, which obviously can only be done @ a range)

Thanks.

Also,

I should add that I found a good deal on TruGlos, so I will be putting their TFO on my Sig, instead of Dawson/Hiviz.

PS:

What do you X, subie or evo (or other)?

:)

Not this weekend but the weekend of 19th or 26th should be OK. PM me and we can set something up.

Currently I autoX with a E92 M3 but she's too heavy! I always wanted a EVO IX but didn't pull the trigger and I don't like the X at all. Might get a S2K and race in STR next year :)

X,

I hear ya on the M3 platform. Nice machines, but you know who dominated the track......unless you have enough money to throw at it of course.

Evo is the cat's meow, so it seems - and this is comming from a guy who just got rid of his modded WRX (life, and especially KIDS happen!).

Have fun out there.

Regarding sight tool-read below.

j0n,

Get those sights in! Even though the 1st tool fell though I have another one lined up (one which is confirmed to work) and that gentleman already wrote that he will be sending it out (tool's available, at his possession).

So, I'd imagine that it will be here some time next week. Once here, I'll have it for at least 2 weeks (if needed).

I'll let you know once it shows up and we'll set something up.

At the same time, we won't have to bother "X" for his tool, and make it more complicated.

"X" - thank you for the offer.