Bully

What Would You Do?

Having just been in a similar position my wife and I bought the following 3 each in this order:

1. P226 - metal DA/SA
  2. Walther PPQ - Plastic striker
  3. Kobra Carry Lightweight - 1911

1. P228- metal DA/SA
  2. Kimber Custom Aegis II - 1911
  3. Springfield EMP - mini 1911 (sort of)

I would therefore recommend going P226 first. It allows you to decock safely, and helps practice good trigger control with the DA and SA.Then afterwards either go Plastic Fantastic or 1911. I personally wouldn't recommend SA (e.g. 1911) as your first firearm since you need to worry about the safety, there is no decocker etc, and they typically have very nice triggers. When you're ready to go 1911 you may then decide to go for a .45 caliber..

The following is from my 'Handguns to buy' spreadsheet, this was my list of handguns of interest, with their specifications (e.g. size, weight, rounds, cost etc).. My original idea was to go for:

• a range/competition firearm
  • a range/home defense firearm
  • a carry firearm

On one hand I was thinking of P226, P228/9, P225/239 respectively for the options as this would provide similar controls across all three categories. On the other hand I was also thinking of trying a mix of DA/SA metal, plastic striker, SA metal... which was what I ended up doing...

P226 USPSA

Walther PPQ

Kobra Carry Lightweight

CZ 2075 Rami - double stack

Glock 19 - double stack

S&W M&P9c

Sig P239 - single stack

Sig P6 or P225

Sig P229 SAS Gen 2 - double stack, no rail, SRT

Sig P228 - double stack

Sig P250

Sig P250 compact

Sig P250 sub compact

Sig Pro 2022

SA XD9 sub compact 3"

SA XDm 3.8"

SA XDm 3.8" Compact

H&K P7

H&K P30

HK USPc

HK45

Ruger P9

Walter PPQ

Walther PPS

SA XDM 5.25 ?? - Free Mags till end of Nov

FNH FNX-9

Glock 17

Glock 34

FN Herstal FNP-9

H&K USP

1911 9mm (of some sort)

Kimber/SIG 1911 .45mm

Browning HiPower 9mm

CZ SP-01 Phantom (polymer)

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Custom

CZ 75 Shadow Target

Magnum Research IWI Baby Desert Eagle (9mm)

Walther P99

CZ P-07 Duty

Springfield Armory XD

Beretta Px4 Storm

Springfield Armory XDm 5.25 - 3 FREE MAGS till end Nov

MrsWombat ended up getting very tired of me changing my mind on an almost daily basis on what the 3 would be... my decision kept changing based on reading forums, researching, holding and firing...

hth

TheWombat

congrats. Did you buy new or used?

Hopefully used so you saved some money. But could of ask on the forum before doing so. =) just saying.

STI makes the Spartan and Trojan in 9mm for between 550 and 850 or so... great handgun, with no issues.

Now go buy 5 more mags and come out to a USPSA or IDPA match.

I bought it new and I believe I did pretty well. I didn't pay sticker. And, I'm happy.

The Spartan is made overseas or of imported parts and the Trojan has that big ugly logo on it and is named after a prophylactic. I just couldn't do it.

C

I guess TheWombat doesn't like revolvers............

I was looking at an FNP (not sure the exact model, was a .45ACP), but I couldn't stand the grips.

I just applied for 4 more permits. Maybe I'll buy one of those BLOCKS eventually. Shot my friends Glock in .40 cal, didn't like it. Guess I need to try some other models. May still not like them..............

I already have two revolvers for those of those permits, leaves me with two more guns to choose from. Running outta room! :)

I guess TheWombat doesn't like revolvers............

I was looking at an FNP (not sure the exact model, was a .45ACP), but I couldn't stand the grips.

I just applied for 4 more permits. Maybe I'll buy one of those BLOCKS eventually. Shot my friends Glock in .40 cal, didn't like it. Guess I need to try some other models. May still not like them..............

I already have two revolvers for those of those permits, leaves me with two more guns to choose from. Running outta room! :)

Correct - I do not like revolvers.. I am a semi auto person. Although I have shot revolvers, I just don't like them.

:-)

TheWombat

Correct - I do not like revolvers.. I am a semi auto person. Although I have shot revolvers, I just don't like them.

:-)

TheWombat

Give it time, then it will hit you like a brick wall.

I did not see the point in them either, now I got 2 colts, 2 smiths, and a taurus waiting for me at the ffl.

The altimate sin a 1911 in 9mm, or so I used to think until I had an impulse buy and got a para in 9mm this is a tack driver but its ammo sencitive as it only likes cheap steel cased ammo with it im about 1400 rounds with out an issue with brass I might get thru a mag or two with out a problem.all things said I should have bought this type of gun and caliber 10yrs ago live and learn

the hk p7 was my favorite they may be even now please refrain from language like that my wife could have seen this screen you would have opened up a can of worms ,for years Ive told her a person could not live with only one gun you need lots of them just kidding but I think its like tatooes most people go to get only one but end up with a collection

please refrain from language like that my wife could have seen this screen you would have opened up a can of worms ,for years Ive told her a person could not live with only one gun you need lots of them just kidding but I think its like tatooes most people go to get only one but end up with a collection

That's funny!!

C