usnmars

Possible Business Idea, Would You Be Interested?

How would you convince people that your book is better than the free videos on Youtube? It's hard to compete with a free video.

unfortunately.. in today's technology.. I think it's been hit on the head... 30 years ago? sure.. great idea.. but now a days you will literally see a video in which someone does what you describe word for word.. if you like guns.. and are good at working on them.. figure out a way to do it legally.. work under an established gun smith.. and just do the work.. charge a reasonable amount and cut in the smith/shop owner.. just be sure all the legal end is in line...

just saying..

yeah, I am already working for a smith but figured this would be a cool little project. I have someone that is a magazine editor going to do the editing when I am done and another guy that is a lawyer going to draw up a zero liability statement. It's gonna take a while to get right but should be worth the effort.

Eric, what would you charge to do this yourself if we dropped off or people shipped a gun to you. Say Cozmo covered to final..

see I think that is the way to go..

if you could take a relatively cheap weapon system...

clean it as best as it can be cleaned.. trigger worked as best as it can be worked.. I think that is the way to go.. if you did this at a reasonable cost.. it would net a great quality high caliber rifle as an alternative for people who want something nice.. but can't afford the higher end modern bolt gun alternatives..

even as a test.. buy a cheap one.. do your magic.. rework it as best you can without really spending a dime.. and then see how much you can flip it for..

I know that even with all the knowledge out there.. sometimes people just respect the work you do SO much.. that they just want you to do it no matter what..

I feel like if you can do it yourself at a reasonable cost.. putting your method out there in print is really just shooting yourself in the foot.. and people will just copy it.. video it.. print it.. etc..

My thoughts are rather than do the work myself, make a guide to show you how to do it. Some people enjoy doing the work themselves and feel a sense of accomplishment when they see the results. Also this will be about $5 to show you how to do it start to finish, which isn't bad considering it's a $80 gun. If you drop it off for someone to do it you are almost doubling the cost of the gun and you really didn't learn anything.

An oldtimer gunsmith,Iowegen, on the Ruger forum actually did thison Ruger HG's and printed a series of nice simple booklets and sold(sells) them. I got the one on DA for my GP100. If you want to see how a well done finished format in black/white text, pics can be done let me know and i can find it and lend it to you. Starts with intro info, to field level maint and even higher level smithing skills. Was $15 + for the forum members.

I was looking for something like this, can you make a copy of it? I ask since the guy is no longer printing/ selling them.

Tommy,

correct. There are some who have no interest in learning at all though or are not handy. Think about it, if you have enough $$ why deal with it yourself.

As far as youtube, I like doing this stuff in the garage. Taking my laptop to the garage is kinda a pita and would prefer print over the video.

Tommy,

correct. There are some who have no interest in learning at all though or are not handy. Think about it, if you have enough $$ why deal with it yourself.

As far as youtube, I like doing this stuff in the garage. Taking my laptop to the garage is kinda a pita and would prefer print over the video.

Yea, laptop in the garage is a PITA, i tried to do this working on my car and having a digital version of the shop manually. It just gets messy and annoying.

I will say this though, working on my Mosins was a blast, took a lot of time to clean them up, but it was enjoyable going through the process. Only thing I need to do is the trigger job.

I was looking for something like this, can you make a copy of it? I ask since the guy is no longer printing/ selling them.

I will not make a copy, the author has had a lot of issues with copyright infringement and actually had all this info previously posted on the Ruger website but removed it because of all the infringements, thus printing and selling them only. However I will be glad to let you borrow to look at your leisure. Just make sure I get it back in a reasonable timeframe. PM me your address and I'll mail it.