KpdPipes

"that Guy" Yeah, I Found Him

:facepalm:

Seriously? You mean there's no central database of registered guns readily available to police in the field? There should be.

Their is no registration to look up.. they do however have a stolen serial # list that can be checked by the state police.

If they really want to bust balls they could call your local dept and ask the officer who does pp's to check for one that matches said pistol but nothing to fall back on long guns..

Seriously? You mean there's no central database of registered guns readily available to police in the field? There should be.

Guns registered to a specific individual are easy to look up, but there must be a good reason to be looking it up, since who looks up what is very well tracked.

What is your point? Where does all the gun registration data go and who has access to it?

Where do you mail pistol permits? Your local PD and the NJSP.

Only Handguns acquired while a NJ resident are registered. It is not easy to obtain this info by patrol. There must be a reason for the inquiry.

Paul, very easy to look up what someone has registered to their name nowadays. Takes seconds.

for leo's, if you pullover someone, does your squad car system once punch in our license plate and dl or dipatch checks on a different system and tell you that we have a njfid and possibly own a handgun, then assumes we have it in the car?

i always have the impression that when pullover by a leo to inform first hand that i have a firearm in the vehicle that im transporting to and from and offcourse following guidelines on transporting a firearm.

As I already mentioned, there needs to be a damn good reason to be looking this info up. There is nothing attached to NJDMV if you are stopped that tells the Officer or Communications that you have an FID or have purchased handguns in the state.

so we are not breaking any law when we get pull over and didnot mention the firearm in the vehicle which im transporting as per guidelines, so if im not ask dont tell? thanks

Correct. If an Officer starts asking about weapons that you may have, you have bigger problems.

Their is no registration to look up.. they do however have a stolen serial # list that can be checked by the state police.

If they really want to bust balls they could call your local dept and ask the officer who does pp's to check for one that matches said pistol but nothing to fall back on long guns..

Any weapon's registration can be traced but it takes a long a** time. Checking to verify legal ownership on the side of the road is not going to happen.

here it is http://uslawman.webs...a-Rifle-5619390 However it is in the "Ask an officer" section..I already jumped one wannabe for answering a question in there, so i ask you guys not jump into it.

i'm surprised DaTruth didn't chime in with his ever so intelligent thoughts

Can you explain 1 single reason how something like this would help gun owners or prevent crimes with guns??

Oh it's been a while, but I don't think history has been rewritten, remember they did something like this before if you remember what you learned in history class that was just the 1st step and what followed was thousands of people to killed??

• Like 1

Can you explain 1 single reason how something like this would help gun owners or prevent crimes with guns??

Oh it's been a while, but I don't think history has been rewritten, remember they did something like this before if you remember what you learned in history class that was just the 1st step and what followed was thousands of people to killed??

yup

Oh it's been a while, but I don't think history has been rewritten, remember they did something like this before if you remember what you learned in history class that was just the 1st step and what followed was millions of people to killed??

Edited for truth.

i'm surprised DaTruth didn't chime in with his ever so intelligent thoughts

there's no way to declare someone as a racist....that's his usual schtick..unless it's a JoeCommonMoron thread..he REALLY gets off on that guy..not that it isnt deserved, he reads like a Sovereign Citizen training pamphlet.....

so we are not breaking any law when we get pull over and didnot mention the firearm in the vehicle which im transporting as per guidelines, so if im not ask dont tell? thanks

NJ does not have a declaration requirement.

MOST of the time that guy only works days, mon-fri...and the information isnt available to anyone else. SOME of my dispatchers (All sworn LE BTW) Can access that part of our computer system, but only about 3 of them..all old timers that had access to the old system, the newer guys were never given that access. As far as "Tracing" that has to be done through NJSP for handguns sold in state, and can take a couple of weeks to get results back, or through BATFE for out of state..and THAT can take months, sinc they have to trace it from the manufacturer, to the Distrubutor, then the FFL

To be honest..the average street cop runs across MAYBE 1-2 gun jobs PER YEAR..most guys aren't conversant with the firearms provisions 2C:39 because they dont run across it all that much..it's important to US, because it affects us. narcotics guys can rattle off the Drug statutes..MV guys can pull Title 39 out of their butt's on command..your average cop knows Theft, Assault DV, and that sort of thing by rote. is it an excuse?? maybe not but it is what it is.

You may have a valid point there, and this is not intended to sound like bashing though it may, however as they are charged with ENFORCING these laws, we, as citizens providing that salary should have a reasonable expectation that they have at least a mediocre, rational, and perhaps coherent understanding of exactly just WHAT it i they are enforcing, rather than the statist policy of arrest all present and let the judge, jury and lawyers sort it out.

If I am not violating any laws, and I use that term loosely, I should not be forced into a position of having to expend my life savings on legal counsel to be found not guilty, or better yet, no-billed by the grand jury, simply because an officer happened to notice something in my possession that MAY be related to firearms, and decided to use that as RAS to search for whatever eh could find.

I didn't say it would help and I don't agree with it but if the state already has all this information, why not make it available to the cops on the street?

there's no way to declare someone as a racist....that's his usual schtick..unless it's a JoeCommonMoron thread..he REALLY gets off on that guy..not that it isnt deserved, he reads like a Sovereign Citizen training pamphlet.....

lol, he's a disgrace to the profession.

You may have a valid point there, and this is not intended to sound like bashing though it may, however as they are charged with ENFORCING these laws, we, as citizens providing that salary should have a reasonable expectation that they have at least a mediocre, rational, and perhaps coherent understanding of exactly just WHAT it i they are enforcing, rather than the statist policy of arrest all present and let the judge, jury and lawyers sort it out.

If I am not violating any laws, and I use that term loosely, I should not be forced into a position of having to expend my life savings on legal counsel to be found not guilty, or better yet, no-billed by the grand jury, simply because an officer happened to notice something in my possession that MAY be related to firearms, and decided to use that as RAS to search for whatever eh could find.

I dont know what you are looking for..2C/Title39/2A/Court rules run about 700 pages of VERY small type..you focus on what you deal with on a regular basis..anything you're NOT familar with ...thats WHY we have the books..oh and add in the "Law Enforcement Handbook" which is 2 volumes of Caselaw running at around 15K pages apiece, It's an enormous amount of material, that is constantly changing. We get a Legislative update from the AG once a month along with regular policy changes, AG guidelines, and prosecutor's office policy. Technically we're supposed to also enforce fish and game laws... I've never even bothered to Look at them..if it ever comes down to me HAVING to, then thats why i have the statute book.

I didn't say it would help and I don't agree with it but if the state already has all this information, why not make it available to the cops on the street?

Not everyone has MDT's available to them..not all MDT's are on the same system..to be honest i'd be a LOT happier if the Crossmatch portable Fingerprint scanner was available, that hooked directly into NCIC2000 where I could scan an index finger or thumb on an arrest and have his pedigree and warrant information waiting for me. Right now, for my dispatcher to check someone for warrants throughout the system he has to go through 4-5 different screens, and we have pretty much none of that available to us in the cars. i;d say conservatively that about 70% of the stuff they bring out to make my job "Easier" does the exact opposite.