Sign in to follow this  
skimdan

Ammo in PA

Hi guys,

New member here from Lake Hiawatha (currently in my second week waiting for my FID and Permits). I have been hearing and reading great things about going into PA for bulk Ammo buys. Can any of you suggest a good place to go to save some cash, I have been told Cabellas is amazing. But would Walmart or Dicks in Easton be just as good?

Happy I found the site!

Cabelas is an amazing store in general, but if you're just looking for cheap ammo, that's probably not the ideal place. I'm not an expert, but i'm pretty sure their prices aren't any cheaper than your average gun shop. But you should head out there anyway. Don't even need a reason, the place is just like a Mecca.

I don't really buy much in bulk. I buy cases of 250 shotgun shells at a time, but that's about it. Your best bet is probably a Dick's or Walmart across the border. Or ordering online somewhere. Hopefully those who are more experienced with this will chime in.

Should also mention that if you don't have your FID yet, buying at Dick's can prove to be a challenge, especially in NJ. A decent amount of Dick's require it for ammo purchase as a store policy. That issue rarely comes up in PA, although I've heard stories about some PA Dick's asking NJ guys for FID. When I buy shotgun ammo in Easton, I don't get asked for mine. But who knows, maybe it's different for handgun. I don't think it is, though. At least not at the Easton Dick's. Hope that helps.

And welcome to the forum, by the way!

Thanks a lot for the answers guys!

Looking for 9mm and .22lr ammo mostly. I was looking online and it seems that prices are low enough but S&H becomes an issue that could offset the savings.

Mantlu01- Thanks for bringing up the FID card for buying in PA... that was my next question.

Cabelas is an amazing store in general, but if you're just looking for cheap ammo, that's probably not the ideal place. I'm not an expert, but i'm pretty sure their prices aren't any cheaper than your average gun shop. But you should head out there anyway. Don't even need a reason, the place is just like a Mecca.

I don't really buy much in bulk. I buy cases of 250 shotgun shells at a time, but that's about it. Your best bet is probably a Dick's or Walmart across the border. Or ordering online somewhere. Hopefully those who are more experienced with this will chime in.

I buy 6 to 10 cases of shotgun shells at a time, they just don't seem to last very long around me............

OP, you need your FID to purchase any ammo (here in NJ) that can be used in a handgun, which now includes .410 shotgun shells because of the Judge and Governor.

Cabelas ammo prices are really no cheaper than most other stores, just kinda cool to have it all out where you can touch it at-will! It is a VERY cool store to visit, bring a camera. They did not ask me for any ID when I bought handgun ammo there, but you never know.

Stroudsburg Walmart is where I am going to go from now on. They didn't even take my FID.

If I was less broke I would have bought the collectors mini-crate of .22lr Winchester ammo for $25. Not a deal, but the box looked cool.

I know that gunshops need to make their money somehow, but when the difference can be $10 ($23 v $33) for 100 rounds of WWB 9mm, I'm afraid I won't buy except in Walmart in PA. The reporting requirements in NJ also are a profound disincentive for me. The OP should happily buy in PA or NY or online.

G