Richard

Want to start shooting pistols with eye on competitive shooting

Hey guys and gals.

As I said in my first post in the introduction section, I'm just getting started. I shot some in camp as a kid (more years ago than I care to admit) and feel the calling again. I've been doing a lot of internet reading trying to learn as much as possible - and I've gathered a bunch of useful information. I tried to get more info at a couple area gun shops but once they learned I didn't have my FID I was pretty much dismissed. Oh, well.

I've kinda settled on pistol target shooting in .22 mostly because of cost and because I don't think my wrists and shoulders can take the pounding of the higher caliber ammunition. Once I know what I'm doing I'd like to start shooting competitively. I think it will be easier to learn and progress with the smaller caliber also. I'm a southpaw w/ medium size hands. I've narrowed down a list of possible pistols but I'm open to other suggestions

Make/Model...................................................................List Price..................Weight

Ruger Mark III Hunter 6-7/8” barrel.............................638.00....................41.0 oz

Ruger Mark III Target 5.5”.............................................430.00....................42.0 oz

Sig Mosquito Sport 4.9”...............................................465.00....................27.8 oz

S&W 22A – HI-VIZ Green Dot – Soft touch grips......319.00....................35.3 oz

Browning Buck Mark standard URX...........................459.99....................34.0 oz

Browning Buck Mark Practical URX........................... 429.99....................34.0 oz

Browning Buck Mark Contour 5.5 URX.......................539.99....................36.0 oz

Browning Buck Mark Contour 7.5 URX.......................549.99....................39.0 oz

Browning Buck Mark Hunter 7.25 Wood....................479.99....................38.0 oz

Possibly a revolver???

I'm leaning toward the Browning's with Ruger close behind, and trying to decide between the 5" and 7" barrels. My price range is pretty much what's in the list. The Ruger Hunter is stretching that range a bit. Any advice, comments, suggestions would be welcome.

Oh, one other thing. I've searched but can't seem to find anything on how to determine which is your dominant eye. I'm a southpaw, and every time I lift an imaginary gun in my left hand as if to aim at a target, I find myself wanting to use my right eye!!! I shoot, throw, kick and write left; but I bat and golf right.

I'd like to establish a relationship with a reasonably local shop. I like the idea of one stop shopping. I want a place where they know me and I know them. Who do you like dealing with? If you're not comfortable saying it on-line just PM or Email me. It will remain between us.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the range in the future. As I said earlier, any constructive input is welcome.

I've got tons more questions but this is enough to chew on for now.

Thanks,

Richard

We have the Ruger Hunter Mk III and the Buckmark URX. Both excellent guns! The Ruger in mine and the Buckmark is my son's. Both are tack drivers and easy to shoot. I thing the trigger in the Buckmark is better than the trigger in the Ruger. If you are thinking target shooting, both are perfect, if you are thinking run around and shoot stuff, perhaps one of Maks suggestions might be better.

Also, you are showing list prices, and nobody pays that! Once you decide on what you like, do a price quote on here and you will get a much better price from a forum sponsor..

Oh, one other thing. I've searched but can't seem to find anything on how to determine which is your dominant eye

easy. point at a small object about 8 feet away with both eyes open using the hand you will shoot from. Now while it is pointed at the object, close one eye. try it with both eyes. Whichever eye does not shift the point of aim is the dominant eye.

A .22 is a great weapon to choose as your first. However, you may find you'll quickly out grow it and want a higher caliber weapon once you're more comfortable with shooting. I could be wrong but it's something to consider. That said, you may want to open yourself up to investigating weapons that can be converted from a .22 to a higher caliber. Just a suggestion.

Also, lots of great people on here. Venture out to a local range with some other forum members. I'm sure there will be plenty who would be willing to let you fire a few rounds through their weapons.

Best of luck!

If you can find someone local to you with a 4 to 6 inch .38 Special revolver, pickup a box of .38 Special Wad Cutters. They will have a little more bang than a .22, but nowhere near enough to really bother you much. My wife shoots them all the time, she hardly touches the "regular" .38 Specials anymore.

A .22 is a very cheap gun to shoot for sure. Most Wad Cutters I have seen are very smoky, somthing to think-about when shooting indoors.

All are nice and when it comes down to it for cost of shooting 22LR's and the cost of the guns themselves, don't limit yourself to just one.

If I only had 2 semi autos it would be a GSG 1911 and a Ruger MK III Hunter and thats whats at home now. For a revolver if I only had 1 it would be a S&W 617 6" and I'll get one next year. I do have a bunch of other 22's at home and if you ever find yourself down in the Old Bridge area I would be more than happy to let you take some shots with them.

As far as competing, are you looking more along the lines of Bullseye or more action type, that can be either Static Steel or OBRAMS and thats USPSA style matches but with 22LR's. Both are about as much fun as you can have with a 22 also.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies and information.

Maksim, I'm sure I haven't found all of the different types of competitive shooting yet. But from what I have seen so far, Bullseye and the Rim Fire look pretty cool. I'll need to be more of a static shooter. I had both knees replaced last year and although they are finally beginning to feel better there is no way I'm as mobile as I used to be. I have lateral movement, but not quickly. Kneeling is something I'd like to avoid. I can do it, but it's got to be well padded and not for extended periods of time. As far as my shoulders go it's not as bad as I may have made it seem. My right shoulder has some rotator cuff issues which are mild and my left shoulder is fine. I just need to keep up with the weight training I started a couple weeks ago. I'm seeing progress already. I read somewhere to hold up a weight about equal to your gun outstretched in your shooting hand for 90 seconds. I thought... no problem... and tried it. Big surprise! That's when I started with the weight training. I briefly checked out a couple of videos on the M&P 22. Could be a contender. I'll check them both out this weekend. Thanks!

John,

Good point about them being MSRP's. I was just trying to get a feel of relative costs among the pistols on the list. The more I learn about these guns, the more I'm leaning toward the Browning's. They seem to be very similar in quality and accuracy to the Ruger's and weigh a bit less. If I go with a 5.5" barrel they weigh a lot less hanging off the end of an outstretched arm. Which barrel lengths do you and your son use? Is there really a big difference with group size? I read one guys opinion that the longer barrel could be a detriment if you're not steady because there is more time for you to "pull' the bullet off the target since it's in the barrel longer. Thanks!

Tommy3rd,

Thanks for the info. If I'm doing it correctly it looks like I'm one of those mixed up cross-eye dominant folks! I was standing with my right foot back, leg almost straight leaning forward with my left leg more bent at the knee which had me standing at about a 45 degree angle to the target. I pointed a pen at something about eight feet away and did the "eye thing". Sure enough I stayed on target with my right eye and not with the left., Thanks!

Stephanie,

I understand your thinking about the .22 -- and I didn't know you could alter the caliber of a weapon. Something to consider. However, the cost of ammunition is a big factor right now. Between my other "hobbies" and the fact I've got two kids in college I'd like to keep this as reasonably cheap as possible. I does appear that if I shoot bullseye I'll need other weapons of larger caliber in addition to the .22. Do I need my FID to go to a range and fire a weapon? Thanks for your help.

M4BGRINGO,

Thanks, I haven't ruled out the possibility of a revolver. On the one hand I think they're cool. On the other they only hold five or six shots. Eliminates feed problems though!!

nascar,

Which Hunter are you referring to? The Ruger or the Browning? I just love the look of those two guns. I know there is much more to be considered than looks of course, but they don't get much more "Dirty Harry" looking than those. :D How do you feel about the balance of those guns - and the weight? What cartridges work well with your Hunter? If it's a Ruger, is the field strip as big a problem as some say it is? I can't imagine banging away on my new gun with any type of hammer! Thanks.

Harry,

My older son used to race karts at Englishtown Raceway. That's "up" for us! Only about an hour though. Like I mentioned above, I think I'd be more suited for events with less "action" due to my new titanium/polymer knees. Other than the bullseye, I don't know what the other competitions you mentioned involve. I'll do some more research over the weekend. I'm thinking more stand/sit and shoot or move "quickly" but not running between shooting areas. The single hand shooting sounds like it would be both challenging and fun. I've really been feeling the need for some competition. Need an outlet for the stress of everyday life. This sounds like it could be just the ticket. Thanks for the reply.

Again, thanks to all for your help!

Richard

Go to Sportsmen's Center on Rt. 130 in Bordentown and talk to Fritz. Fritz will spend time with you, show you the pistols and he loves to talk .22 handguns.

I'm getting a Buckmark or a 38 revolver next week. The Ruger MK's point low for me.

Do I need my FID to go to a range and fire a weapon? No.

My son will one hole targets all day with either. The longer barrel on the Ruger helps me but it is little heavier than the 5.5" Browning. After shooting a lot, I usually just grab his Browning and tel him to take the Ruger for awhile. I think the Browning was a little cheaper than the Ruger. We got ours at Shore Shot in Lakewood a few year ago.

If target shooting is what you are really interested in I would recommend the longer barrel. Your sight radius will be longer and more accurate plus the additional weight will make the handgun more stable. For starting out, go with the pistol that feels the best in your hand. Also, consider what is involved in field stripping each of the ones that you are considering. Some are much more difficult (Ruger Mark III, in particular) than others, as you will be periodically cleaning your handgun.

If you really resonate with target shooting in 22LR and pursue it seriously, then the pistol you will eventaully want to get is the S&W Model 41.

If you really resonate with target shooting in 22LR and pursue it seriously, then the pistol you will eventually want to get is the S&W Model 41.

Would the S&W Model 41 be a good pistol to start out with? I've read good and bad about it - although I've read good and bad about every pistol I've checked out. Its list price is significantly lower than any of my short list choices. I can't remember his name, but there's a guy with a really big bug up his butt for S&W - writing reviews really trashing their business model and their product. Maybe I'm mis-interpreting what he's saying. I've still got tons to learn about this sport.

Thanks,

Richard

Would the S&W Model 41 be a good pistol to start out with?.......Its list price is significantly lower higher than any of my short list choices.

Fixed it for you. Model 41's have an MSRP of $1139.

I'm not sure that I'd advise you to invest that kind of capital in something you've never tried. You may find bullseye to your liking, but until you get very, very good, something like a Ruger Mk III will suffice. You may find that bullseye is, well.....boring. In which case you have a nice .22 plinker and now it's time to move on.

I wouldn't discount action pistol games because of your physical condition. I'm fat, old and have PF, which means my moves aren't exactly gazelle-like, but I really enjoy shooting USPSA and IDPA. I don't expect to win, but I have seen a staedy improvement - miniscule though it may be. A lot more fun than static shooting.

One last thing - you said you made more about your shoulder than there really is - keep in mind, bullseye is a one-handed game. All that weight (and .22's aren't any lighter than CF guns) supported by one hand. At least in action shooting you can use two. There are also action shooting games where there is little to no movement, like steel - in which case a nice (but not model 41 nice) .22 would put you in good stead.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Pizza Bob,

When you're right, you're right. Somehow I got the model 41 mixed up with the 22A. Just a little difference there, huh!

AFA which type of competition(s) I'll wind up doing is still up in the air. I'm still trying to figure out what they all are. Every time I think I've got it i find out another piece of information. Like I said, I've got tons to learn.

Do you prefer the Mark III's to the Buck Mark's? Why?

Non of my business, but.... do you wear orthotics??? If PF has been a long standing problem that you haven't been able to get a handle on PM me and I may be able to help you out.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Richard

Rugers are great guns, but a pain in the ass to clean /strip

Buckmarks are as good, if not better, and a lot easier to break down, although you still need a screw driver to undo front screw.

Smith & Wesson 22A was my gun of choice. Cheapest price point, street price of about $250, and a joy to shoot/clean. No tools required. Only downside, it is not bullseye accurate. At 15 yards, the groups started opening up. I am sure the bull barrel model is significantly better.

Those guns will be good plinkers /decent for bullseye and all.... if you want a fun gun, you have a few more choices, although I would not shoot bullseye with them.

Smith & Wesson m&p 22 (a 22lr version of the highly successful m&p 9/40/45). Extra mags are avail now, so great gun to shoot and better yet, a great training aide for run & gun as it is a perfect clone of the 9mm and 40 s&w.

GSG 1911 - 22lr clone of a 1911. Only problem, it just feels cheap. Plastic frame, lightweight slide. Plastic sights. It is a great deal for the money, but if you shoot it alot, don't expect it to look like a beauty queen. The finish will wear off.

Both of these guns are great for OB Rams 22lr matches, or steel or anything else.

GSG 1911 - 22lr clone of a 1911. Only problem, it just feels cheap. Plastic frame, lightweight slide. Plastic sights.

You must be thinking of a Glock. GSG/Sig 1911-22's have metal frames. The slides are lightweight because they are blowback actions and .22's don't generate enough oooomph to cycle a steel slide. I'll admit to the plastic sights, but if I'm not mistaken, don't Glocks use plastic sights too?

Adios,

Pizza Bob