Pizza Bob

USPSA - Shongum 01/07

I plan to make the trip out tomorrow morning, I didn't know if I'd be able to so I haven't emailed Ronald. Is that going to be an issue? First time USPSA shooter, but I've been shooting IDPA for a year or so now, Static Steel once or twice.

I'll run you through the safety briefing. It will be mostly old hat for you. We'll take a few shots at a target just as an excuse to warm up.

I had an awesome time today.....

This was my 3rd time trying this, and its been over a year since my last attempt.

It was much better shooting with guys I know. Jon, Maks and Frank........ Thank you. Our squad had all great people on it.....

A big difference to me was taking out the Mag Safety in the M&P....... what a pain in the nuts it was the 1st 2x's I did USPSA..... having to insert an empty mag to show hammer down..... IMHO, doing USPSA with a mag safety gun sucks.....

A really great day.....

Thanks again......

Frustrating day for me. In retrospect, probably not a good idea to take a brand new, unfired gun and use it in a competitive event....ahhhhh 20/20 hindsight.

Five stages today and our squad started on five which was all steel. Would have kind of liked to start off on a stage with paper targets, so I could figure out if it was shooting to POA. Que sera, sera. Made it through that stage, albeit using somewhat more than the 16 rounds required, but the gun functioned flawlessly. Love the sights (trapezoidal) and the trigger (light with an extremely short reset).

Next we shot stage four, which was the run and gun - 16 targets (4 arrays of four), 32 rounds. This is when the wheels fell off. Had multiple failure to extract (FTE) malfunctions and they were not easy to clear. Even with the distraction of the malfunctions and the clock ticking away, I got all my hits.

Moved down below to stages one, two and three. Again on stage 1 had multiple FTE's. Before I shot satge 2 I field stripped the gun and lubed the heck out of the extractor and the rails. Almost made it through stage 2, but had one FTE. On to our squad's last stage, stage 3. Again, almost made it through, but still had one last FTE.

It seemed to be somewhat better after lubing and I'm hoping this is just symptomatic of a gun "breaking in". But that put me in a quandry. I intended to shoot this at CJ tomorrow also. The Sig I normally shoot (and has been flawless through thousands of rounds) I have loaned to a new shooter. So do I try the Steyr again (after a thorough cleaning and lubing this evening), or do I cut my losses and shoot single stack with my 1911?

I've decided to try the Steyr again. If it is indeed "break-in", it would cost me a minimum of $20 to go somewhere like Classic Pistol and throw a couple hundred rounds down range to get things seated-in and hopefully functioning properly. Or I could take that same $20 and shoot a 100+ rounds at CJ and hope for the same outcome (a pistol that fixes itself) while, hopefully, having some fun.

The frustrating part was that even with the constant distraction of the malfunctions and the anxiety caused by the anticipation, I had only one "mike" today and the times aren't really reflective of the speed at which I shot (more like an indicator of how slow I was clearing said malfunctions).

So we'll have anothyer go at it tomorrow and cross our fingers and toes that the outcome will be different (didn't Einstein say something about doing the same thing and expecting different.....oh, nevermind.) So, if you see me fuming and cursing tomorrow, just come over, pat me on the shoulder and say, "This too shall pass."

See you at CJ.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Was fun watching for the short time I was there.....can't wait to give it a run myself.......

Nice meeting some folks as well and putting faces to names.....