Jersey Joe

Gun Safe Location Help

Hi All...I just got a real gun safe to replace my Homak cabinet. It weighs around 700lbs. I was going to put it in my upstairs bedroom but due to the weight I think I may opt for the basement. My other thought was it makes sense if that is where I clean my guns and store most of my ammo anyway. My only issue is that my basement has gotten a little water now and then(Hugo was the last time) and it is damp. I control it with a dehumidifier for the most part, but of course concerned about the guns. I intend to put a dehumidifier bar in the safe but was wondering if it makes sense to place it closer to the heating system as I think it may be "drier" due to the heat. I'm also going to raise it up as a precaution and to create air flow underneath. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

--JJ

I am no expert, and would suggest you use a humidity meter in there for a while to gauge how damp it really is, but with the proper size Goldenrod and raising it off the floor, it sounds like it should be OK.

Hi All...I just got a real gun safe to replace my Homak cabinet. It weighs around 700lbs. I was going to put it in my upstairs bedroom but due to the weight I think I may opt for the basement. My other thought was it makes sense if that is where I clean my guns and store most of my ammo anyway. My only issue is that my basement has gotten a little water now and then(Hugo was the last time) and it is damp. I control it with a dehumidifier for the most part, but of course concerned about the guns. I intend to put a dehumidifier bar in the safe but was wondering if it makes sense to place it closer to the heating system as I think it may be "drier" due to the heat. I'm also going to raise it up as a precaution and to create air flow underneath. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

--JJ

Do you keep a fan running in the basement?? If not put one down there and run it 24 hours a day, just the movement in the air will make a huge difference.

My only issue is that my basement has gotten a little water now and then(Hugo was the last time) and it is damp.

This would be a concern for me. moisture has a funny way of getting in every nook and cranny. I think no matter where you put the safe, humidity will be your enemy...it's just a matter of how much.

I have my safe in a location that is subjected to a good amount of ambient humidity for at least a year now, and have had good luck with just a couple of Remington silica moisture absorbing packs...

THESE:

510FQlPam8L._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Dehumidifier-Attracts-Moistur-Crystal/dp/B005T0RPYU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3

I haven't had any issues with rust or moisture. By having two of them in the safe I can pull one out for a few hours to recharge/dry it out and then put it back in and then recharge the second pack.

If you can raise the safe off the floor, put in a goldenrod and 1 or 2 of these silica packs, I think you'll be fine.

You've made a nice investment so protect it. Dehumidify the whole basement as it will be all around healthier for you. Make sure you have a operating sump pump and the sump pit is covered. Raise the safe off the floor with a pallet, treated 2x4' or 4x4's. I used steel conduit cut the same width as my safe to roll it into position, you will need 4 or 5 pieces. Not only do you want the guns to stay dry but also the ammo and any shooting accessories. Placing it closer to the furnace, in my opinion, will have negligable effect at dehumidifying the safe. The dehumidifers listed above are a good cheap insurance policy.

I have my safe upstairs and it's developing rust on the inside where there is bare metel. I didnt open it for a long time, and im not sure what happened. All the guns and gear are oiled so no issues there, but i did throw in some dessicant with color idicator so now i know i dont have to worry about it.

For basement and I have about 1/2 the basement is above grade. However I like to have basements as if they can be livable space and mine is a combination Pool room, TV/Movie room Drum Studio and Re-loading Room. Here are a few things I have done over the years, I did most if not all of this prior to moving into the house and had the good fortune to do it as the house was being built.

I put 2 coats of Dry-lock on all the walls, also put down 2 coats of epoxy floor covering. I have a pump and have any excess water collection from the HVAC unit pumped into the sump pump pit.

Ever with that I have the drums and power mixers and speakers off the floor. I have a wood floating floor and drywall walls I put up as well as drop ceiling, even did the Electrical and HVAC additions. I will say, it was overkill, but I like to do things a certain way once and not have to do them over and over. Like I said in the other post, moving air is key, I have seen basements that had water seepage, but just moving air was enough to keep the place dry.

Here is one other thing I have seen over the years. People clean up the landscaping around the house, well it may look nice but they developed problems. The problem was they removed all the bushes, and other garden plants that drank all the water, after they did this they had water in the basement.

Take a look at each of these just as reference points, but I'd bet the best thing would be just some air movement.