Philthy

Recommended AR AMO

I'm not an expert, but this is my understanding:

If it is a 5.56/.223 AR, take a look at the twist rate on your barrel.

If it is 1:9, you want 55gr-69gr (won't stabilize heavier bullets well over 69gr), if it is 1:7 you want 68-77gr (I'd shy away from 55gr as it may overspin the bullet, heavier bullets will typically do better like 68gr and up), if it is 1:8 you want 62-77gr but can shoot 55gr's with acceptable results for plinking.

Please excuse the FNG (that's me, lol) - I also just noticed that I may have posted this in the wrong forum section, I'll get up to speed quickly...

The AR I purchased is a DDM4 V5 LW (Daniel Defense M4 V5 LW)

The specs on the barrel from their website: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 twist, 16″ Lightweight Profile, Mid-length Gas System, Chrome Lined, MP tested, and Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate coated)

my 2 cents

1:7, you are going to want to use 68-77gr bullets to be optimal. This puts you into the expensive ammo range. The russians do make some bi-metal 75gr practice ammo that is pretty inexpensive, but sometimes varies on its availability. You can get away with 62gr but accuracy will most likely suffer.

I'm guessing if you are going to be playing in 100-300 yard range, you can save yourself ammo costs with a 1:9 twist barrel and being able to shoot 55gr-69gr stuff with a twist rate that stabilizes this weight bullet well. 55 and 62gr are the two most popular milsurp types out there. 55gr are almost always the least expensive for plinking/practice ammo. Then you could go for some 68gr match loads if you are going for accuracy, distance, and consistency.

55gr ammo will function fine in a 1:7 barrel if you're looking for plinking ammo

PMC is my preferred cheap brass. PMC Bronze (.223) and X-Tac (both 55gr and 62gr) are good to go. Be careful with the 62gr X-Tac if you're going to be shooting at steel targets.

...DDM4 V5 LW (Daniel Defense M4 V5 LW)

The specs on the barrel from their website: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 twist, 16″ Lightweight Profile, Mid-length Gas System, Chrome Lined, MP tested, and Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate coated)

My BCM is 1:7 twist and I usually only shoot 62 gr when I go plinking with it, but when I plink with 55 gr it works ok. It's not ideal for me to go with 55gr, but sometimes it's the most cost effective choice.

I'll be going through a few hundred rounds on paper targets at first just to get accustom to the it, so I appreciated the suggestions on plinking ammo... I'm a newb and thankful for all of the great suggestions...

I could be wrong but i dont think this exist... Federal has xm193 in 5.56, AE is .223.

Yes it exists. I think Shawnmoore81 is referring to the ammo in the link below. In fact this is what I use in my BCM...

Federal American Eagle Ammunition 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Grain XM855 Penetrator Full Metal Jacket

http://www.midwayusa...ll-metal-jacket

A 1:7 will shoot pretty much anything commonly available except light varmint ammo that is in the 40-50 grain weight.

1:9 may have issues with heavier bullets, even 68gr. It really depends on the barrel and the bullet design. With a 20" and a bullet with a longer bearing surface, there are plenty of examples of 1:9 working for >68gr too.

I shoot 55gr bullets from my 1:7 16" all the time. The stuff it likes the best groups a bit under moa. The worst a bit over 2 moa, but that stuff shoots like poop out of my 1:9 upper too.

Yes it exists. I think Shawnmoore81 is referring to the ammo in the link below. In fact this is what I use in my BCM...

Federal American Eagle Ammunition 5.56x45mm NATO 62 Grain XM855 Penetrator Full Metal Jacket

http://www.midwayusa...ll-metal-jacket

I came across that too, i have seen it package as non- AE at other sites... interesting. They all say saltlake city so i doubt it matters.

I'm not an expert, but this is my understanding:

If it is a 5.56/.223 AR, take a look at the twist rate on your barrel.

If it is 1:9, you want 55gr-69gr (won't stabilize heavier bullets well over 69gr)Correct, if it is 1:7 you want 68-77gr you can try 55 especially in a 16" barrel but no lighter(I'd shy away from 55gr as it may overspin the bullet, heavier bullets will typically do better like 68gr and up), if it is 1:8 you want 62-77gr but can shoot 55gr's with acceptable results for plinking. OK

The biggest problem with the heavier bullets is COL. Mil spec or factory ammo should be no problem.

55gr ammo will function fine in a 1:7 barrel if you're looking for plinking ammo

PMC is my preferred cheap brass. PMC Bronze (.223) and X-Tac (both 55gr and 62gr) are good to go. Be careful with the 62gr X-Tac if you're going to be shooting at steel targets.

Thank You Caine.

A 1:7 will shoot pretty much anything commonly available except light varmint ammo that is in the 40-50 grain weight.

1:9 may have issues with heavier bullets, even 68gr. It really depends on the barrel and the bullet design. With a 20" and a bullet with a longer bearing surface, there are plenty of examples of 1:9 working for >68gr too.

I shoot 55gr bullets from my 1:7 16" all the time. The stuff it likes the best groups a bit under moa. The worst a bit over 2 moa, but that stuff shoots like poop out of my 1:9 upper too.

+1 Very pragmatic, and it works!