TheWombat

GFH Self Defense Pen Class review

MrsWombat and I just attended the GFH Self Defense Pen Class. This is an 8 hour class in the Belleville location. The course is run by Atienza Kali. There were around 10 students and 10 instructors (although I may have my numbers slightly wrong) however it was about a 1:1 ratio.

It is an entirely practical class, no sitting down or Powerpoints to watch. The class focuses around 9 target points on a human at which to strike, and goes through various hands on training routines to begin to drill these in. MrsWombat and I got a little excitable with trying to disable each other and I can say that even a blunt pen is very effective!

Later in the class we used our own tactical pens to shred cardboard to help demonstrate how little force is needed. The last 20 minutes of the class was an introduction on how to approach the same techniques with a knife.

Everything taught on the course could be applied and integrated with any pre-existing defense/martial arts training you may have including firearms. Carry a few bic biros or other standard pens/pencils is all that is needed. Buying a $20 tactical pen is not necessary, albeit it can add a little extra to the penetration.

Overall the class was very good, I'd rate it highly in understanding how deadly even a bic biro or a blunt sharpie marker can be and how these everyday items can be used for defense when firearms or other weapons are not available. The course price is $150, the trainers were helpful, professional and experienced. Safety was paramount and the instructors were the pin-cushions until students became more familiar with the moves.

Overall - I'd recommend this class. Thanks to GFH and the Atienza Kali team

thanks

TheWombat

Good review. People need to think outside the box. ANYTHING/EVERYTHING can be a weapon if needed, something as simple and basic as a pen can give you the advantage you need in a confrontation to walk away alive.

Mindset is key.

Reminds me of a scene in A History of Violence.

Forward to 1:45 in this video.