Steve_G

M&P 9L with Dawson Precision sights - Problem

I finally got a chance to try this thing out with the Dawson sights installed. Very disapointing. It was shooting about 5 inches low at 10 yards. Of course I thought it was probably me but, I got out the P220 and I shot that just fine. I installed the ones that DP recomends for the long slide so I really have no idea why it is this off.

Are yours adjustable? I shot locally at Tenafly the other day as a guest.

A member had a XD9 with those sights, or similar. It shot high for everyone,

but it had an adjustable rear.

Personally I have tried out a few sets of those sights with the fiber optic front

and it was amazing. I have night sights on all my guns (by default, not by choice)

and they are horrible for sport shooting in my opinion.

Are yours adjustable? I shot locally at Tenafly the other day as a guest.

A member had a XD9 with those sights, or similar. It shot high for everyone,

but it had an adjustable rear.

Personally I have tried out a few sets of those sights with the fiber optic front

and it was amazing. I have night sights on all my guns (by default, not by choice)

and they are horrible for sport shooting in my opinion.

No. I have the fixed rear. When I ordered them, I was going to order the adjustable rear but figured I would save 40 bucks and go with the fixed. Guess that was a mistake.

If you bought the sight set from dawson and you bought the heights they prescribe, they have the "Perfect Impact" gurantee where they will send u a free replacement front sight in a height that will correct the misalignment.

If you havent already, try shooting it from a solid rest on the bench to take all user movement out of the equation. The stock M&P trigger has a lot of overtravel and this tends to exacerbate the issue of shooting low when the trigger comes crashing back against the trigger guard after the sear drops thus pulling the muzzle even lower Shooting it from a rest will help eliminate that effect if its contributing to your misalignment. 5" low seems a lot at only 10 yards so maybe its a compound effect. You cna use the guide below to determine how much different sight height you may need. What heights did you get? I have the .180 F /.180 R combo on my 9L and it shoots to POA fine.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/images/Instructions/FrontSightHeight.pdf

I went back and looked at Dawson's site. I got the black serrated rear, it says to match with the .180 front. On the front site section, it says to use the .240 front with the DP rear on the long slide versions. I measured mine to make sure and it is .240. I sent them an email, I'll see what they say.

My experience with the dawson precision sights wasnt too bad. But, I have adjustable rear sights on my STI trojan, none the less... even after changing my front sights , it didnt need toooo much adjusting to get close.

I'll also note that the orginal front sights on my trojan were a bit taller than the ones I got from dawson. My new fiber DP sights are .160T, while my orginals were a little taller, assuming about .180T. When I called dawson they said that anytime they put their front sights on a sti they always install the .160T

I followed that video above during the install,while it looks intimidating, it really isnt too bad... I did need to do a bit of filing on the dove tail in order for the sights to get through.. Other than that,it's really easy.

Just call Dawson. Tell them how far off the POI is and they will tell you the correct sight. If you bought the sights directly from them they will send you the corect one for free. Even if you did not buy directly from them I bet they will work something out for you. Their customer service is superb.