Sign in to follow this  
vmastro87

new savage axis not ejecting rounds?

i bought a savage axis last week and i just received the .308 snap caps today. i put them in the cartridge and tried cycling it. i did it about 30 times before it finally ejected 1 properly and then another 30 and still nothing? this is my first bolt action rifle, does it require live ammunition to seat it against the bolt face properly or something ? ive tried cycling it fast slow and everything in between, i took out the bolt put a couple drops of oil onto the ejector/face and tried again, maybe i need more oil? any thoughts would be great thanks guys.

How do the rims look on the snap caps? Are they getting torn up? Take the snap cap base to base with a live round and compare them. Are they the same diameter? Are the extractor grooves the same depth?.

Get yourself to the range and load a live round and then extract it without firing it. And I say go to the range because if it doesn't come out you have to fire it.

If there's an issue, back to Savage it goes. I just Googled and see a few remote instances where there are extraction problems with these rifle.

Congrats on buying a fine accurate rifle.

Thank you ... I did compare and they look correct and no there not getting torn up, It extracts but then falls right on top of the other rounds in the magazine it's not "kicking" it out of the receiver.

Are you pulling the bolt back "authoritatively"?

• Like 1

I bought the same rifle in June, chambered in .30-06. I had the same issue with the snap caps. Only one out of every four would eject as you would expect. I have taken it to the range several times since noticing this issue with the snap caps and have not experienced any failures to eject with live ammo.

It isn't a top of the line rifle, but it sure is fun to shoot.

Don't overthink this. Stop with the lube, the cleaning, etc etc. Go to the range and shoot it. Dollar to a dime, there will be no issue with live ammo. Don't fret, enjoy - Savages are fine, under-rated, firearms.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Don't overthink this. Stop with the lube, the cleaning, etc etc. Go to the range and shoot it. Dollar to a dime, there will be no issue with live ammo. Don't fret, enjoy - Savages are fine, under-rated, firearms.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Under-rated is correct Bob. I have a buddy that is a CRAZY benchrest shooter and he shoots nothing but Savages.

My savage 10fcpk seems to dislike snap caps as well. I havent had a chance to get to the range yet since i still haven't received my scope mounts or base...nor do i feel like loading live rounds anywhere to test cycling. My snap caps do seem a tad chewed up. They also dont always wanna really eject, but i'll worry about it only if it screws up at the range.

Snap-caps are SOLID..they are significantly heavier than empty brass..THAT is why some of you are having failures in ejecting them. If you are that worried about dry-fire practice, make up a couple of your own Dummy rounds with the primer pocket filled with silicone, and a couple of holes drilled through the sidewalls of the rounds (So you CANT confuse them with Live ammo), those should eject properly