Sign in to follow this  
GiantsFan

Trap / Skeet "lefty" recommendation?

If I wanted to begin to shoot Trap / Skeet, as a lefty shooter what shotguns might you recommend I start off with?

I realize that Trap / Skeet / Sporting Clays are all different but is there one shotgun that does it all or am I better off with one gun (the right gun) for one selected sport? Mfgr and model number would be appreciated, as well as any other choices like gauge, bbl length etc. too. I figure this forum is probably the best place to start off as anywhere else.

Thanks!

Over-unders are ambidexterous and best suited for clays in general. What is your budget? Most browning (or all american? unsure) O/Us are cast nuetral but if you have stock cast you want it to be cast-on not cast-off. Again, the budget question comes into play because you can have a shotgun fitted to you and cast adjusted.

Here is an excerpt from http://www.americanh...ct-shotgun-fit/

Cast

Cast is the windage adjustment on a shotgun. It’s a lateral bend in the stock designed to center your dominant eye over the rib. Shooters with wider, rounder faces or narrowly set eyes often need cast, while many thin-faced shooters can shoot uncast stocks (most American gunstocks have no cast, whereas many European guns do). Right-handed shooters need “cast off,” a bend to the right; lefties need “cast on.” If you want to adjust cast on a pump or a semi-auto shotgun use a toothpick shim. Loosen the bolt and wedge the shim lengthwise along the stock head opposite the direction you want to bend the stock. Gunsmiths can permanently cast stocks with hot oil or a heat lamp.

• Like 1

If you're looking for one gun for all 3, I'd probably recommend a 28" barrel. But 26" or 30" would be OK, too. 28" is just a nice middle ground. As a lefty, an O/U is probably the best choice for you since it's neutral as far as handedness. However, it really all depends on your budget.

And for what it's worth, having shot semi-autos, pumps, and O/U's for clays, being a lefty doesn't really cause an issue when using semi-auto or pump. I don't even notice the shells ejecting out of my Remington 1100. Same goes for when I pump my Mossberg 500. Don't ever see them. The only somewhat annoying thing as a lefty is the crossbolt safeties. Tang safeties make things easier.

Well, an over under would be better, but yeah. It would work. With trap & skeet you may want to put a rubber band around the receiver & ejection port to prevent the shells from hitting the guy to your right and so you dont have to pick the shells up. But it will break em just fine

I shoot clays with a lefty, he's always shot right handed O/Us better.

The finest and lightest O/Us i've ever used (without breaking the bank) are the Berettas. They also make great field guns since they are light enough to carry all day. You would probably be much happier with a used "high quality" O/U than a new "low end" manufacturer. And it would already be broken in, which anyone with an O/U can tell you can be a **** on the first 2000-3500 rounds. BTW, honorable mention to Browning.

Here's one on gunbroker that looks like it's in your budget:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270395322

Here's one with a 30" barrel:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270395322

I'm kind of interested in the new FranchiUSA "Instinct SL" O/U Shotty. Anyone have any comments about Franchi USA?

What gauge is best for Trap / Skeet? 20 or 12? The "SL" model has an aluminum alloy receiver versus the less expensive model "L" with a case hardened steel receiver. I kind of favor the steel receiver for durability> Thoughts? The SL is higher priced with an better grade stock.

http://www.franchius...nct-sl-shotgun/

http://www.franchiusa.com/franchi-instinct-l-shotgun/

Franchi is a good gun. I shot a lot of trap with an old Franchi Falconet back in the 70's. Even used it for goose hunting on the Chesapeake when lead was still legal.

12 ga. for trap. 12 or 20 for sporting clays or skeet. I know you can get some Franchi's (Alcione?) with a multi-barrel arrangement which accommodates both 12 & 20 ga. barrels on the same frame.

BUT, my guess is this Franchi is geared more as an upland field gun and one to carry and/or get into action quickly. The forend, Prince-of-Wales grip and Its aluminum receiver are all features found on a gun designed for paring down weight and deft movement. Note the average weight of the guns; they are very light. This would probably make a nice occasional sporting clays gun, but for a dedicated "clays" gun I would go with a steel receiver for durability, not aluminum.

Yes, all the locking and contact parts are steel, but the frame is still aluminum.

This would probably make a nice occasional sporting clays gun, but for a dedicated "clays" gun I would go with a steel receiver for durability, not aluminum.

Yes, all the locking and contact parts are steel, but the frame is still aluminum.

Thanks Parker,

I like the SL version but was actually leaning towards the L model for it's case hardened steel receiver. Looks like maybe I'll consider a 12 gauge with 28" barrels.