RLTW

AK Variant Help

Ok so I am thinking about picking up my first AK variant (7.62) soon, but from I see the Saiga seems like the best way to go with. I have heard both good and bad about the WASR 10. So I would like to keep my cost as low with a traditional look without sacrificing quality. Thoughts?

I can't speak for the Saiga, but I have a WASR and I have to say I like it. Century Arms seems to have solved some of the problems that the WASR is famous for (canted front sight, magazine wobble,trigger slap, etc.). I have 500 or so rounds through mine with zero issues. If you would like to try it out for yourself sometime, let me know; I see you go to CR. It's not top of the line, but for under $450, it's a pretty good rifle in my estimation.

you will find more opinions than you can count..

I prefer Saiga.. it is a true Russian gun... and works really well.. I have yet to have a bad experience..

there are OTHER ok variants out there.. WASR IMO is not one of them due to hit or miss quality..

My concern is the hit or miss quality. I don't see many Saiga's with traditional furniture.. or maybe I am look at the wrong places???

I have fired a century arms AK and didn't have any issues, but to Vlad's point on Hit or miss...

My concern is the hit or miss quality. I don't see many Saiga's with traditional furniture.. or maybe I am look at the wrong places???

I have fired a century arms AK and didn't have any issues, but to Vlad's point on Hit or miss...

you have to build gun.. and Saigas I have put together many.. this is one I did for my fiance.. I sold it.. but it was a blast..

was bored in the basement and decided to snap a few pics to see how the lights were down there..

tara741.jpg

tara742.jpg

tara743.jpg

You would have to do a conversion to get the traditional style funiture.

You can take this...

SAI-223-D.jpg

And turn it into this...

1088bd80.jpg

There's more than enough info on the conversion on this website alone, plus plenty of people that would be willing to help you.

You have many options, and it is not all Saiga this and Saiga that. There are a lot of great 47/74 variants out there.

Here are a couple nice builds you could look into:

http://www.atlanticf...roduct1057.aspx

http://www.atlanticf...product876.aspx

http://www.k-var.com...&cat=353&page=1

http://www.jgsales.c...ck.-p-1584.html

http://www.atlanticf...product947.aspx

Those are rather reasonable price-wise but still are good rifles.. Do realize they need to be legalized for NJ...JetAgent is near you and does clean NJ legal modifications, as well as any other competent gun smiths.

Edit: WASR's aren't bad, but I would highly suggest only buying one if you can look and handle it before buying it. Very few NJ shops carry WASR's, so if you are really looking into them, go over the river and find a nice one in PA and have them ship it to a NJ FFL. If you order one and it has canted sights or any other of their known issues, it will be a PITA to send it back, have them send you a new one..etc.

I can't speak for the Saiga, but I have a WASR and I have to say I like it. Century Arms seems to have solved some of the problems that the WASR is famous for (canted front sight, magazine wobble,trigger slap, etc.). I have 500 or so rounds through mine with zero issues. If you would like to try it out for yourself sometime, let me know; I see you go to CR. It's not top of the line, but for under $450, it's a pretty good rifle in my estimation.

+3 on the WASR-10s... I own 2 and a friend of mine has 1. All three shoot very reliably and about as accurate as an AK can with steel cased non-corrosive ammo.

Century ironed out their issues awhile back from what I've been reading. All the old WASR-10 horror stories are from early 2000s rifles.

• Like 1

Something else to think: resale value of the firearm(cost of ownership)

Certain AK variant rifles only went up with time:

RobArms Vepr's, Mak's, Maadi's(ARM,RPM,RML), Yugo(M70, M64),SA85m, any milled variants(SA93, SLR95, SLR96, SLR100H, SA M7 etc)

But if you still want a Romanian AK variant, take a look a SAR1. You can still can get them on auction site for almost the same price as a WASR

Thanks everyone for the good points. I feel better about WASRs but also know I have more options out there.

What do i have to do to make this NJ Legal?

Romanian RPK Heavy Barrel AES-B rifle

longak.jpg

http://www.jgsales.c...ck.-p-1584.html

Obviously it would have to ship with no mags

is the gun banned by name?

is the gun substantially identical?

the gun may change.. but the formula is ALWAYS the same..

is the gun banned by name?

is the gun substantially identical?

the gun may change.. but the formula is ALWAYS the same..

I should know better by now lol only thing i notice is the slant brake. Maybe it is welded already