NickC

The Shell Sorter

Take it from a brass whore - These sorting trays work great!

Just don't overload them

They work best when they're no nested inside each other

(nesting is for storage)

If you shoot 9mm and .380, you should get the additional aluminum separator plate

Midway has them on sale this month

They work well, did you get the optional .380 dish? Mike who we shot with and who roed at the steel match has one. My cousin does too, I actually have to pick one up myself.

For steel matches it's the best thing going, throw all the brass in a bucket and move right along. Then sort and divide at the end.

They are a strange beast. If you sort lots of brass you will be disappointed that they don't work better ... until you realize how much better they are then doing it by hand. Over X-mas I sorted out like 10000 mixed cases that piled up in my garage it yes it took a while, but doing it by hand would have been a terrible thing.

So yes they work, yes you should have a set, no they are not a miracle that makes brass sorting a pleasure, it just make it bearable.

Sounds like some of you guys, especially you Vlad, could use a powered vibratory sorter to process that kind of volume. A local NJ shooter by the name of Jeff makes such a beast and priced at $400-500 depnding on options, its much more reasonable than a commercial unit.

http://www.ultimatesorter.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Sounds like some of you guys, especially you Vlad, could use a powered vibratory sorter to process that kind of volume. A local NJ shooter by the name of Jeff makes such a beast and priced at $400-500 depnding on options, its much more reasonable than a commercial unit.

http://www.ultimates...e=index&cPath=1

$400 is a bit steep. Especially since .40 winds up mixed with .38 and .357. With the pans, the rimmed cartridges dangle and are easy to deal with. Not really worth it for the few hours a year I spend with the pans.

I think I'm ordering some stuff from midway in the next few days, I'll throw one on my order if you want it

Naah, but thanks for the offer...

I don't think we have anyone that shoots 380 acp in our group do we?

If only they can come up with a way to sort 45 acp brass with a larger primer vs small primers, I'd be a happy camper. :no:

+2. I've been reloading a lot of 45 lately and i may get 1 every 100 if that. I was just telling someone how i never really find them so i don't really care about it. Then the very next session, i must have pulled 250 45's with SPP out of the bucket all at once. :( My brass bucket has "layers" of range pickups and i must have grabbed a whole batch form the range that day all loaded with those small primers. Figures...

Nope, but I have had more than 1 380 sneak into my brass. It's a little less annoying then 38 super getting in there.

Sure, until you look in your loaded round bin and find that you accidentally loaded a .380 MAJOR! At least the supers fail the RCBS lockout die. I'm 1000 times more attentive to watching my brass after that one. And although i really want the buillet feeder, having one step still remain manual keeps me a little more "hands-on" with each processes round (one day i'll get it though). :lol:

I have this sorter as well, and I can only echo what everyone else has said. It is great for sorting standard caliber brass (.45, .40, 9mm). I have also had a 380 slip through here and there, but they always get found when I almost fall off my chair while sizing 9mm cases and the 380 case offers no resistance in the "oversized" die. My only complaint is that it's quite loud while sorting, but that's nothing against the sorter, and I just throw on a pair of earmuffs and all is well...but I don't think my dog likes it.