vortex0178

A Couple Questions about Cherry Ridge

I'll probably end up at membership Sunday next weekend, and I have a few questions about Cherry Ridge.

What exactly is the target stand situation? You have to either buy one or make your own, then use them in the target sleds that they provide? How much are the folding target stands that they sell, and are they decent quality?

Is there a magazine load limit, or can I load up all 15rds?

What's the policy toward rapid fire (namely double tap drills)?

Chamber flags? I was thinking of making own by using an old .3cc Lee dipper, cutting off the cut end, and bending/melting it into an "L" shape so that the narrow end would be inserted into the chamber. Is that good enough?

Thanks in advance!

I'll probably end up at membership Sunday next weekend, and I have a few questions about Cherry Ridge.

What exactly is the target stand situation? You have to either buy one or make your own, then use them in the target sleds that they provide? How much are the folding target stands that they sell, and are they decent quality? They sell them for $20 or so, you can build one for a fraction of that.

Is there a magazine load limit, or can I load up all 15rds? All 15

What's the policy toward rapid fire (namely double tap drills) You won't be hassled unless you are being reckless

Chamber flags? I was thinking of making own by using an old .3cc Lee dipper, cutting off the cut end, and bending/melting it into an "L" shape so that the narrow end would be inserted into the chamber. Is that good enough?They give you one at the membership meeting, and sell them for $1 or $2..not worth the effort to build

Thanks in advance!

What exactly is the target stand situation? You have to either buy one or make your own, then use them in the target sleds that they provide? How much are the folding target stands that they sell, and are they decent quality? Yes. $25 and unless you're into woodworking, they're wll worth it.

Is there a magazine load limit, or can I load up all 15rds? Go ahead and load them to the top.

What's the policy toward rapid fire (namely double tap drills)? It's technically against the rules, but you can get away with it when it's not too busy.

Chamber flags? I was thinking of making own by using an old .3cc Lee dipper, cutting off the cut end, and bending/melting it into an "L" shape so that the narrow end would be inserted into the chamber. Is that good enough? Chamber flags are only a dollar. Go ahead and spring for a couple.

Thanks in advance!

See you up there!

1.their target stands are expensive ($25 if i remember). you can get the materials to build 2 for under $15. I bought one from them and used it as a template to build two more.

2.you can load the legal state limit. If you have an illegal mag, not sure if an RO or other members would notice and say something.

3.don't know exactly what's considered rapid fire because it's a judgement call but I think it's okay as long as you know what you're doing.

4. i just bought some and called it a day. they're not expensive.

Answers

I use a target stand I purchased from them. I think it was 15 or 20 dollars a few years ago, may be more now.

Magazine, go ahead and load up all 15 as it is permitted.

Double tap drills and "somewhat" rapid fire are allowed. I believe in their range rules it states "No RECKLESS rapid fire". That is open to interpretation by the ever present range officers.

Chamber flags can be pruchased from them for a few bucks. I guess you can make your own as long as it is visible when inserted.

2.you can load the legal state limit. If you have an illegal mag, not sure if an RO or other members would notice and say something.

My AK mags are pinned 15/30's and I have been approached by RO's several times. They do watch for that stuff.

Targets- you've pretty much got it right. I believe they have em for $25 or just make your own according to plans on the website, just 2x2's squared together.

Mag limit- per NJ laws, 15 in semis are fine.

Rapid fire is generally frowned upon but I've "heard "rapid every now & then.

Just get the chamber flags there, cost next to nothing, $1?

Have fun and welcome.

EDIt- LOL Dang I type slow ! no replys when I started my reply ! LOL

Ended up making my own target frame... materials cost was about $16. I think it turned out pretty good!

th_DSC00140.jpg th_DSC00141.jpg th_DSC00142.jpg

I made it about 6" taller than Cherry Ridge's plans so that the legs would be even with the top of the frame. Also used 1x2s instead of 2x2s for the crossbars. When folded, it locks up fairly tight with hooks & eyes. And I already added a sheet of cardboard backing but had to fasten it with finishing nails since the cardboard was too thick for my staple gun.

By far the hardest part was finding a pair of straight 2x2s at Home Depot :80:

Ended up making my own target frame... materials cost was about $16. I think it turned out pretty good!

th_DSC00140.jpg th_DSC00141.jpg th_DSC00142.jpg

I made it about 6" taller than Cherry Ridge's plans so that the legs would be even with the top of the frame. Also used 1x2s instead of 2x2s for the crossbars. When folded, it locks up fairly tight with hooks & eyes. And I already added a sheet of cardboard backing but had to fasten it with finishing nails since the cardboard was too thick for my staple gun.

By far the hardest part was finding a pair of straight 2x2s at Home Depot :80:

just hope the ROs don't say anything about the height of the target. they have specific measurements for a reason. otherwise, just bring a hack saw and a tape measure to cut it to the required height if needed.

What exactly is the target stand situation? You have to either buy one or make your own, then use them in the target sleds that they provide? How much are the folding target stands that they sell, and are they decent quality Frames are for sale for $25.00 They are also for rent for $25.00 a day If you do not Strike the wood frame you will receive most off your money back upon returning in good condition

Is there a magazine load limit, or can I load up all 15rds? State Max of all Firearms, High Cap Mags NOT permissible and Should NOT be in your possession on range property.

What's the policy toward rapid fire (namely double tap drills)?

Reckless rapid fire is NOT tolerated!!! controlled fire is acceptable (double tap with a noticeable pause)

All activities on the range are at the desricion of the range officer on duty

Chamber flags?one dollar each, available anytime I was thinking of making own by using an old .3cc Lee dipper, cutting off the cut end, and bending/melting it into an "L" shape so that the narrow end would be inserted into the chamber. Is that good enough?

Thanks in advance!

Just a side note RTSP'S policy is "No fast or rapid firing allowed. allow at least 3 seconds between shots. Any hazardous behavior WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL FROM THE PREMISIS."

Just a side note RTSP'S policy is "No fast or rapid firing allowed. allow at least 3 seconds between shots. Any hazardous behavior WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL FROM THE PREMISIS."

from what i've seen, that's there as a rule they can point at and yell at you for, but tend not too. I've had an RO float over and watch when i was shooting faster than that, but as long as it's obvious you're not shooting the ceiling or floor, they don't say anything.

The general rule of thumb I recall from my own membership meeting on rapid fire was that you would generally be ok if you're hitting what you're shooting at, so accurate double/tripple taps are generally acceptable. I think their general priority with that rule is keeping the clueless in check.

That said, it's always at the discretion of the R.O. and they do sometimes utilize volunteers to help out, who can be more of a mixed bag with enforcement and rule interpretation.

The general rule of thumb I recall from my own membership meeting on rapid fire was that you would generally be ok if you're hitting what you're shooting at, so accurate double/tripple taps are generally acceptable. I think their general priority with that rule is keeping the clueless in check.

That said, it's always at the discretion of the R.O. and they do sometimes utilize volunteers to help out, who can be more of a mixed bag with enforcement and rule interpretation.

I was at the pistol range on Sunday and Steve the RO had to stop one guy from shooting a gun. He clearly was incapable of handling the recoil and it looked like a .357...nothing like the guy down the line waiving his guy all over after a shot since he has noodle arms. A few months ago when I was there, some pair of jagoffs were yucking it up with a .50 pistol "had to bring it on it's own trailer" and after a few minutes they had a "pop pop" double tap. The second round was aimed up at about a 75 degree angle and they both stood there with eyes as big as saucer plates contemplating how the gun shot twice instead of realizing the shooter was a limp wristed pansy who can't control his firearm. Again, steve had to go tell them to put it away. The chumps next to me on Sunday only had "two clips for the forty, 3 clips for the 9mm" I wanted to slam my head into the pillar.

Seriously people, don't buy a .357, .44, 10mm, .454, .460, .480, 50 just because you think it's cool to have a "big caliber". It doesn't make you cool, it makes you an ahole who jeopardizes everyone else there. Learn how to shoot first.

I was at the pistol range on Sunday and Steve the RO had to stop one guy from shooting a gun. He clearly was incapable of handling the recoil and it looked like a .357...nothing like the guy down the line waiving his guy all over after a shot since he has noodle arms. A few months ago when I was there, some pair of jagoffs were yucking it up with a .50 pistol "had to bring it on it's own trailer" and after a few minutes they had a "pop pop" double tap. The second round was aimed up at about a 75 degree angle and they both stood there with eyes as big as saucer plates contemplating how the gun shot twice instead of realizing the shooter was a limp wristed pansy who can't control his firearm. Again, steve had to go tell them to put it away. The chumps next to me on Sunday only had "two clips for the forty, 3 clips for the 9mm" I wanted to slam my head into the pillar.

Seriously people, don't buy a .357, .44, 10mm, .454, .460, .480, 50 just because you think it's cool to have a "big caliber". It doesn't make you cool, it makes you an ahole who jeopardizes everyone else there. Learn how to shoot first.

That's funny, I believe I know the two groups you're referring two, as I think I was there for both of them as well. Didn't actually get a look at what the poorly handled & high recoil toy in question was yesterday, but I remember the guys with the .50AE desert eagle a few months back (unless guys with overpowered guns they can't control is even more common than I realize).

That's funny, I believe I know the two groups you're referring two, as I think I was there for both of them as well. Didn't actually get a look at what the poorly handled & high recoil toy in question was yesterday, but I remember the guys with the .50AE desert eagle a few months back (unless guys with overpowered guns they can't control is even more common than I realize).

Well, I was down at the left end both times and both times it was guys just left of the middle. Yesterday it was just before 10am when Steve had to intervene. The time prior it was probably between 10 and 11 as that's when I usually go.

Well, I was down at the left end both times and both times it was guys just left of the middle. Yesterday it was just before 10am when Steve had to intervene. The time prior it was probably between 10 and 11 as that's when I usually go.

That's usually when I shoot on Suns as well, and I was def there yesterday when Steve had to step in. Didn't hear all of it, but he seemed to go relatively easy on them and favored diplomacy. I overheard something to the effect of "Probably not a good idea to shoot it if you're not familiar with it.".

You weren't the guy that asked me about my hearing protection?

Just after 10, Frank(Old School) and I were talking to Steve in the parking lot then Frank came down and shot a bit as well. I like his 1911..for the price it's outstanding.

You weren't the guy that asked me about my hearing protection?

Just after 10, Frank(Old School) and I were talking to Steve in the parking lot then Frank came down and shot a bit as well. I like his 1911..for the price it's outstanding.

Don't think our paths crossed because my buddies & I were towards the right side.

Good seing you Mark- Maybe we can start getting folks together again, with all the new members.

Yeah, nice to see you again Frank. If you're going to any shows and want company, let me know.

I agree, we should have a gathering in a few months, once it's a bit warmer.

The target stands currently sold by the range are slightly less than six feet high. They are designed to a specific height to keep members from shooting over the berm. If a taller stand is used, there is a tendency to attach targets too high up on the frame causing the bullet to miss the berm. Rapid UNCONTROLLED firing also causes inconsistent berm impact.