Sign in to follow this  
Damjan

ZASTAVA EZ9 in 9mm

I got this gun recently from PK90 who had it in stock

k94409_ZastavaEZ9.jpg

Short review and some background info:

The Zastava EZ9 is a 9mm is a 4th generation police and army pistol of the CZ99 model (not the Czech CZ) that was developed to replace the M57 or Yugo TT. It`s made in the Zastava Arms Factory in Kragujevac,Serbia (Same factory that makes the Zastava PAP rifle and they also do rifles for Remington).

The gun is/was standard issue for the cops in a few country sucessors of Yugoslavia and also has a large share of the civilian market. It was legally licensed to Soutn Africa (model Tressitu TZ-99) and Israel (model Golan by KSN Industries) for army,police and civilian markets , so it has seen some combat and duty use. In the US it was imported by Charles Daly , EAA and now K-VAR.

The pistol itself is an amalgamation of a Walther P88 and a SIG P226 in a typical Yugo style R&D (copy,mix,beef it up and try until it works reliably). I don`t know about the SIG p226 internals since i dont have one but read that they differ from this gun.

Anyone that has a p226 ( probably 50% of NJGF`ers ) lets meet up and compare at a NJGF shoot !!!

Frame is aluminum that`s coated with some kind of paint , that will eventually wear off on the rails inside.

Slide is steel and you can see some rough machining marks on it but that is a non issue for me.

Shot 500 rounds of S&B on 2 range trips (250 rds each time) , to break it in and no problems whatsoever with the gun

Trigger is DA 10lbs and SA is 4lbs. so far very happy with this gun.

Many people i know in Ex-Yugoslavia own this and they ve never had any major issues with it.

Good:

Gun is very accurate , barrel is chromed inside and out

Fully Ambidextrous slide and mag release

Decocker and slide release is in one lever

Price : 360$ +tax+NICS

Not so Good:

Plastic toy gun type of grips and no aftermarket ones yet.

Some will find the gun very thick ( i have large hands and have no problem)

Lack of aftermarket parts and accessories (this also may change now that K-VAR is the importer)

The gun came with one 15rd magazine.

Additional mags online will run you about 25$ , but a SIG p226 and Beretta 92 mags can be modified to fit.

There is a lot of reviews from owners online which vary and they even have their own forum www.cz99.org

FYI - CDNN has this for $299

Only price that comes even close to that was on Buds a year ago at 290$ before they realized that everyone is selling them for 400$ and adjusted it.

I`d get another one if i didn`t use my permit 3 days ago at this price.