SA1911

Which .308 bolt rifle

I know this has been talked about a hundred times but im kinda lost about which gun to get. A few things i have decided on so far... I want a .308, remington 700, and it will be used for target shooting only. Right now i have access to a 300 yd range, with the possibility of up to 1000 yd in the future. I dont know if i will ever shoot that far but i dont want to limit myself either. I have been looking at the XCR tatical long range but i have been reading that it is better to start with a more basic rifle and modify it as you go. Looking to keep it around $1000 not including a scope.

I guess im not really, its just the only one that i have shot before and it seems to be what most people are using. Figured that it must be decent if alot of people are using it. But im open to other suggestions.

I took the advice of a few others on the forums here and for my first 308 bolt gun I went with the Rem 700 Milspec 5R. $1075 from Bud's. I've been extremely pleased. Do a little reasearch on it and any other rifle you are looking at, there are plenty of write-ups out there with good info. Good luck!

The stock on it is so-so, but that's easy enough to upgrade down the line.

I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there, but I figured I'd mention my experience.

At $1000 you have a number of options, the obvious being Rem 700 and Savage10, as well many other players (Howa, CZ, etc). I'm partial to Savage but it is a matter of taste and aftermarket accessories, most of them will outshoot their owners long past the first couple of burned out barrels. I'd say go with something that fits you and you like the looks off, save some money and get the $600 level rifles, shoot the crap out of it, then decided how you want to rebuild the reciever.

if your going with Remington id reccomend going with one of the SPS series rifles over the 5R, while your getting a better barrel and "better stock" with the 5r I think a SPS with an after market stock would probably perform just as well as the 5r. (technically 5r would probably still be better because of the barrel is better but I dont think you would be able to tell the difference) You have to remember also just because the gun is capable of shooting sub MOA don't mean that you do :D .

also make sure you don't cheap out on glass, the rifle is only as good as the scope. check out snipershide and read all the stickys you can, tons of great info there.

I own a 5r, and love it. No issues, it's actually boring to shoot @ 200/300 yards :laugh: . You have to try hard to NOT hit what your aiming at. I also have a Savage in .308, accutrigger, synthetic stock, custom muzzle break, no scope that you could buy for $400.00 if you want used.

The 5r is awesome, I do not shoot match grade ammo, mostly mil-surp and whatever is on sale, but, that gun kicks a**, no issues, no problems, and like I said at 200/300 yards, point, and shoot, golf balls, soda cans, whatever, it's done.. Your more than welcome to shoot mine @ CJRPC if you want, also JimmyAGR has the same gun (he's the reason I bought mine) and he shoots match grade high end reloads, and he loves his as well..

I have experience with both savage and remington. I feel that you get a little more gun for the money with the savage, and the accutrigger is one of the best on the market. But with that said the 700 is a great rifle as well