notmetoo

Mount Olive Police arrest California man found with sawed-off shotgun, handguns and knives in car

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32374-gun-owner-calls-help-hotline-gets-raided-by-swat/page__pid__430025#entry430025

Case in point. Everyone on here talks about how the media spins things. Well maybe they spun it in the other direction this time.

http://njgunforums.c...025#entry430025

Case in point. Everyone on here talks about how the media spins things. Well maybe they spun it in the other direction this time.

And now it's put up for discussion but like a lot of the other threads you have points brought up on both sides.

I am not a LEO but I think when something hits your area of work you may take it more to heart than it was something else. I really don't think there are any ANTI LEO types here. Also not to turn this into a Us and Them crap, you do have to admit that regardless on how things are supposed to be, the law abiding gun owner in the PR of NJ feel at many times treated as guilty until proven innocent.

• Like 2

I think that I have come to the conclusion, from this point on that I just would rather talk about guns and things of that nature rather than discuss Police involved postings.

Sometimes I feel that way but the complete idiocy of some postings requires me to defend the LEO position.

• Like 1

And for every one of these I can find 2 others where they are getting bashed.

I would rather not cite specific examples here, because peoples opinions are there right, I have no problem with that. I am not going to put people out there. I dont do that.

I would not go by the cops knowing the guns..

The shooting we had in LEH TWP 3 cops i am friends with told me it was an AK47 and in fact it was an AR-15..

Weard thing is, my uncle is a retired detective from mount olive and moved to california..

Who is this Leo guy everyone is talking about ? Any why doesn't everyone like him ?

It's their sign. Born July 23 to August 22.

Leo and Independence:

Leo is very independent but they need something to control and someone to admire them and appreciate them. They are fully capable of being greatly successful on their own but they are much happier if they have an audience and a following of people who look up to them. They would prefer not be alone.

That is wrong. I am a Leo in the astrological sense as well. I don't wnt a following or an audience. I love my alone time

I'm sure you can write these people http://zodiac-signs-astrology.com/zodiac-signs/leo.htm

They'll probably ask you to come in for a reading or diagnose you with having excess thetans, so be careful if you contact them. ;)

I don't believe much of the article or police statement if that is what the article was based on. A 45 in plain view? Pulled over for leaving his lane? C'mon. I'm not buying it.

This harkens back to the old days when the NJSP pulled cars over weekly on the Turnpike for a busted light only to find 87 lbs of marijuana in the trunk

I went to high school with those guys........................(The cops that is, not the people getting pulled-over).

Feds want bigger stuff. These charge carry significant time in nj

Feds routinely turn over prosecutions to state and local agencies. For example many smaller drug seizures in Customs are TOT state and local agencies. The US Attorney's Office only has so many AUSAs and they are usually a small dunk for the local agency helping their stats. I can't see this gun being prosecuted Federally for the one shotgun. If he had a trunk full of full auto weapons that would maybe be another story.

The fact is if there's a crime that's in violation of State and Federal law the defendant could be tried in both systems and punished in both systems. This is not double jepardy as they are different systems.

I can't tell you how many times minor infractions lead to larger outcomes. It's not the police making up stories to justify their arrests.

BlueLinefish is correct. If you look at stats many arrests for criminal violations. Virtually anyone can't drive 5 minutes or so without doing something that would be a valid reason for a stop.

The fact is if there's a crime that's in violation of State and Federal law the defendant could be tried in both systems and punished in both systems. This is not double jepardy as they are different systems.

I thought for sure you must be mistaken. But when I looked it up, turns out, you are right! How messed up is it that the Supreme Court would actually rule that it is okay to be charged twice for the exact same crime, if one is federal and one is state!?! What part of the 5th Amendment is that in?

nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb;

But I guess that is no different then them somehow interpreting "shall not be infringed" in the 2nd Amendment to mean it is okay to infringe it.

Way to go Supreme Court, bunch of cronies.

Not entirely accurate from my understanding. That may often be the case, but it doesn't have to be. You can be charged with the same offense state and federally due to this notion of a 'duel sovereignty'. A good example I read, was being charged with murder by the state, but being acquitted by a biased jury, and then being charged federally so that there is a 'fair' trial.

I could be wrong however, as what you say makes logical sense. It is because it makes logical sense why I'm thinking it could be wrong! :p

Sometimes I feel that way but the complete idiocy of some postings requires me to defend the LEO position.

Sometimes it is better to take the high-road and try to ignore some of the stupid comments made around here.

I bet in other states there isn't as much "friction" between the LEO's and Civis on their gun forums as on here. Blame it on the laws in this state more than the actual frustrated people. Some certainly vent more than others.

• Like 1

I thought for sure you must be mistaken. But when I looked it up, turns out, you are right! How messed up is it that the Supreme Court would actually rule that it is okay to be charged twice for the exact same crime, if one is federal and one is state!?! What part of the 5th Amendment is that in?

But I guess that is no different then them somehow interpreting "shall not be infringed" in the 2nd Amendment to mean it is okay to infringe it.

Way to go Supreme Court, bunch of cronies.

Keep in mind the Bill of Rights was something the states wanted to protect the citizens of the state from the Federal government.

• Like 1

I live right near where this happened. We don't know what the real story is, but I would guess that this guy got off 80 for gas or coffee or whatever. I-80 is a major route for transporting drugs in/out of NYC, so that might be what the cop suspected.