this_is_nascar

Best 9mm Ammo for Target Shooting and SD/HD

I have seen others post that Midway USA needs a copy of y0our FPID on file in order to ship to you.

I shoot both Speer Lawman 115gr and Speer Gold Dot in 115 and 124 and paid an average of .21/round. Gold Dot's are hollow points. I have not shot Wolf or Sellier & Bellot.

OK, let's see how this goes. I was just chatting to the online support person. I faxed a copy of the front and back of my FID to them. She said it takes a few hours for my account to be updated and I'll get an email when I'm able to purchase handgun ammo from them and have it delivered to NJ.

I figured I'd start with this, since it was the least expensive 9mm ammo that I could find during my searches. I know that Federal bulk .22LR works well for me, so I don't have a problem trying this. As far as your HD/SD round, any reason you choose Hydra Shock over the Hornady Critical Defense round that I keep hearing about? Just curious and trying to learn about 9mm ammo.

The 'what do you use for HD round?' debate is endless. Everyone has their own opinion about this round or that round.

Most people will base their decisions off of shooting tests, and seeing which rounds passed those tests.

I like Winchester Ranger, FTX, and EFMJ's.

I understand that. I was just curious as to what the deciding factor was for him. For the time being, my driving factor is going to be costs. I want to practice with hollow-points, then load a couple of clips with them and be done with it, until such time that it's needed. I hope that time never comes. Because I do want to practice with hollow-points for SD/HD, I want something as inexpensive as possible, but still be suited for the intented purpose. I'll also use the cheapest (non re-loaded) FMJ rounds that I can for shooting paper.

I understand that. I was just curious as to what the deciding factor was for him. For the time being, my driving factor is going to be costs. I want to practice with hollow-points, then load a couple of clips with them and be done with it, until such time that it's needed. I hope that time never comes. Because I do want to practice with hollow-points for SD/HD, I want something as inexpensive as possible, but still be suited for the intented purpose. I'll also use the cheapest (non re-loaded) FMJ rounds that I can for shooting paper.

Just for what it's worth, this video will really make it clear on some terminology. It's not pedantic, or insulting, it just goes through it so you have a clear understanding.

Cool. I had given up on ordering ammo from them. I guess I need to call.

Probably don't even need to call. Fax the front and back of your FID to 1-800-992-8312 and write on there to add this to your file and update your account to allow shipping of hangun ammo to your NJ location. Give them your email and remind them to message you when they've completed this.

I'm seeing lots of JHP recommendations here.

Is everyone contributing to this thread a LEO?

Because I thought expanding rounds where considered "Evil" in The Republic of New Jersey.

I've been told by lawyer friends that I could be arrested just for having them.

Or worse, if I use them in my home to defend my loved ones.

I'm seeing lots of JHP recommendations here.

Is everyone contributing to this thread a LEO?

Because I thought expanding rounds where considered "Evil" in The Republic of New Jersey.

I've been told by lawyer friends that I could be arrested just for having them.

Or worse, if I use them in my home to defend my loved ones.

This is false. JHPs have the same transportation laws as handguns.

I figured I'd start with this, since it was the least expensive 9mm ammo that I could find during my searches. I know that Federal bulk .22LR works well for me, so I don't have a problem trying this. As far as your HD/SD round, any reason you choose Hydra Shock over the Hornady Critical Defense round that I keep hearing about? Just curious and trying to learn about 9mm ammo.

No real reason other then reliability through my gun. I bought some at the store and have continued to use it. I can find cheaper federal bulk easier then hornady too.

So far I've shot the following ammo through my new Beretta 92A1.

- Federal American Eagle 115-grain FMJ.

- Remington UMC 115-grain FMJ.

- Federal Champion 115-grain FMJ.

They all functioned flawlessly in the 92A1. I'd have no problem purchasing either any/all of these in the future.

Now I need to focus on a couple boxes of JHP's. The plan is to shoot a box at the range to make sure it's functioning well with the gun. Then, I'll load (2) 15-round magazines and leave them tucked away, hoping to never ever need to use them.

I almost purchased a box (only comes in boxes of 25) of Hornady Critical Defense rounds, but decided to wait once I saw the price. Is there a comparable JHP round that's considerably less in cost or should I expect to pay the same for JHP 9mm ammo?

I almost purchased a box (only comes in boxes of 25) of Hornady Critical Defense rounds, but decided to wait once I saw the price. Is there a comparable JHP round that's considerably less in cost or should I expect to pay the same for JHP 9mm ammo?

If you want ammunition that expands properly and works as advertised, you don't find it in the bargain bin. I use CorBon DPX for my 9mm SD round and that stuff is $27-$35 for 20 rounds.

For defenseive ammunition I would use anything on Gary Roberts' list. It is based on controlled, repeated ballistic tests performed as part of duty ammo selection for multiple agencies plus data collected from real world shootings. These loads are in use by LE agencies and are proven to perform as well as any load in their caliber. (Corbon DPX happens to be one of the rounds on the list)

Hornady Critical Defense is not on the list. Although it is very popular, the only information I have been able to find about it's performance is Hornady's own marketing material or dudes shootin' stuff with it on youtube. It is not used by any LE agencies that I am aware of. Frankly the selling point of low recoil and low penetration seem counter to the performance characteristics one would want in a defensive round. If there is more reliable performance data available I would be interested to see it.

It's always difficult to separate fact from fiction on the interweb, but I consider Roberts' data more reliable than dudes shootin stuff in their yards.