Sign in to follow this  
Jon

W-231, MG 115gr jhp, CCI primer chrono data

More data is never a bad thing.

Gun is a Sig P226 USPSA(4.4" barrel), weather was approx 60*. Shot strings were 15 rounds.

W-231 powder, MG 115gr jhp bullets, CCI primers.

5.1gr @ 1.150 oal

High: 1226fps

Low: 1197fps

Spread: 29

Average: 1213fps

Power factor: 139.4

4.8gr @ 1.135 oal

High: 1164fps

Low: 1120fps

Spread: 44

Average: 1137fps

Power factor: 130.8

4.8gr @ 1.120 oal

High: 1186fps

Low: 1142fps

Spread: 44

Average: 1186fps

Power factor: 133.8

:good:

Wait a minute. You have a chrono but you still show-up at last weeks IDPA match with those wimpy .45 loads that were lucky to make it out of the barrel? Whew, you are a gamer.

• Like 1

Wait a minute. You have a chrono but you still show-up at last weeks IDPA match with those wimpy .45 loads that were lucky to make it out of the barrel? Whew, you are a gamer.

:lol:

Nah, shot through Maks' chrono yesterday.

Why the different OAL's? If taking the 4.8gr loads down .015 to 1.120 added 3 PF, i wonder what those 5.1gr loads would register at that length. They would be some screamers for sure!

Different OALs just to see what kind of PF I could get with various powder charges. The max length for my hipower is about 1.155, so I have to stay under that.

Different OALs just to see what kind of PF I could get with various powder charges. The max length for my hipower is about 1.155, so I have to stay under that.

1.155 is pretty generous! What will your SIG accept?

My CZ (known for short chambers) needs a 1.090 OAL with the MG 124gr JHP's. My M&P, OTOH, will accept them much longer but to cater to them both, thats where i seat them. The up side is that with the short length, i can load them pretty light and still make good minor velocities!

My M&P seems to like them longer. When I was still using factory ammo I had zero issues with wwb, but i've had problems with Remington UMC. The wwb measured 1.160 on average and the umc down about 1.110. The umc I had feed issues with. The PD 124's ive loaded I kept at 1.140 with 4.3g of w231, which gave me on average 1044fps for a 129.4pf. My only concern is if that is enough of a buffer as far as my PF is concerned, would hate to get surprised and shoot for zero score.

My M&P seems to like them longer. When I was still using factory ammo I had zero issues with wwb, but i've had problems with Remington UMC. The wwb measured 1.160 on average and the umc down about 1.110. The umc I had feed issues with. The PD 124's ive loaded I kept at 1.140 with 4.3g of w231, which gave me on average 1044fps for a 129.4pf. My only concern is if that is enough of a buffer as far as my PF is concerned, would hate to get surprised and shoot for zero score.

I would bump up the powder to 4.6-4.7 and go longer to 1.150. Should be zero increase in recoil but give you a bit more velocity.

skep.gifYou think these are hot rounds???skep.gif

Recoil was less than factory ammo.

You see my light loading thread? While your'e making 213pf

45 ACP loads I'm making 150pf loads. I'm actually trying to get

my 45ACP pf down to what your 9mm is, haha.