autoxnyc

Picked up a M&P 9 Pro. My thoughts and questions regarding the APEX kit.

I've heard the ram isn't Production legal.

Anyone with the correct answer?

The RAM for the M&P's with the mag disconnect is approved but, no mention of the one for M&P's without the mag disconnect. It's the same part, just only specifically mentioned for one M&P variant.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/nroi_rulings.php?action=edit&indx=49

Guess who has one without a mag disconnect? This guy

This guy too.

I don't have the RAM and really don't feel I need it. I don't thhink having one would be a problem but, there is no definitive ruling either way. Apex claims it's legal but, they don't make the rules. If you're questioned about it, it's on you to prove it's legal. Not worth the hassle.

My opinion is that if it's ok for one variant it should be ok for the other.

Trying to make this gun kick a** and stay Production legal is becoming a pain in the a**. Especially since it isn't on the approved list just yet. .40 pro. I'm just going to make this a gun for shooting Limited and use my Beretta if I feel like shooting Production. Maybe even buy a 9mm M&P so I can have some consistency across my guns that will be used in competitions.

Trying to make this gun kick a** and stay Production legal is becoming a pain in the a**. Especially since it isn't on the approved list just yet. .40 pro. I'm just going to make this a gun for shooting Limited and use my Beretta if I feel like shooting Production. Maybe even buy a 9mm M&P so I can have some consistency across my guns that will be used in competitions.

the issue is Smith Wesson not being on top of submitting paperwork to USPSA, not USPSA holding it up.

Honestly, at a local match, I don't see you having an issue. At a level 2 or above, yes it will be.

If you want to shoot my 9 pro at a match, by all means, odds are I will not be.

the issue is Smith Wesson not being on top of submitting paperwork to USPSA, not USPSA holding it up.

Honestly, at a local match, I don't see you having an issue. At a level 2 or above, yes it will be.

If you want to shoot my 9 pro at a match, by all means, odds are I will not be.

Yeah, I was reading that they were finally getting the ball rolling on that. S&W wasn't really even answering people on when it would be done. Sunday was the first time I shot Limited. I enjoyed it enough to keep shooting Limited for awhile. It's nice to be able to load up more than 10 rounds. If I really make a run at Limited I will probably start putting together a 1911/2011 platform gun together.

Yeah, I was reading that they were finally getting the ball rolling on that. S&W wasn't really even answering people on when it would be done. Sunday was the first time I shot Limited. I enjoyed it enough to keep shooting Limited for awhile. It's nice to be able to load up more than 10 rounds. If I really make a run at Limited I will probably start putting together a 1911/2011 platform gun together.

Same issue with PPQ. Quite frankly I don't think S&W really cares, or that was the impression that I got from the reps I met with at Shot Show.

I decided to go with the Apex option vs Burwell trigger job. I'm sure it feels great but I'm looking for a more rolling like break than a crisp 1911 like break on this gun since I don't intend this to be a target gun. I think the Apex kit will provide a relatively less crisp break.

Recutting the sear and striker is another reason why I personally chose to stay away from Burwell trigger jobs. These parts are surface hardened, by cutting the sear and striker they are potentially weakened. I personally don't feel comfortable if the gun is to be shot a lot or used for SD. Most videos on trigger jobs I've seen specifically recommends against reshaping or removing material from sear/hammer/striker surface. Stoning them is only to smooth out the imperfections. CZ custom uses a different hammer all together if the customer choose to go really light on the trigger. That hammer has the proper geometry with less positive caming action so all they have to do is to polish it without cutting through the surface hardening.

I think Burwell welds a metal over travel stop, that might be the reason why some people feel like it has less slop then the stock polymer stop in th trigger guard. I don't personally have any experience with either but I can llive with the Apex + some polishing and stock springs. I just feel more comfortable with parts that already has the proper geometry and retains the surface hardening.