Sign in to follow this  
EMB

Beretta 92fs trigger

Hi all, hope that you can recommend a fix. My husband and I have recently gotten into target shooting, and the Beretta 92FS was our first semi auto pistol. It was purchased new in December, and we were really happy with it at first. Since then, we've also picked up a used Colt 1911 Series 80 Combat Commander and a new Ruger Mkiii Hunter (we both have our FID cards and 3 P2P each - if only the NJGF arms race allowed husband-wife teams!).

Once of the first things the hubby did was to replace the Colt plastic stock trigger with a Nighthawk aftermarket one, which made a world of difference in look and feel. Since then, and since shooting the Ruger, we've really noticed how sloppy the Beretta trigger feels in comparison. Even after you rack the slide, there is a lot of travel distance, and it feels spongy. I tried looking on MidwayUSA to see if they sell the same type of trigger upgrades for the 92fs that they do for the 1911, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Is this normal for a Beretta 92fs? I'm not sure if we should keep looking for trigger upgrades, or if we should send back to Beretta, or if this is just normal for this gun. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Eileen B

The Colt had a plastic trigger? I don't think they ever made a gun with a platic trigger.

Yes, the 92FS trigger will feel nothing like a single action gun like 1911 or the Ruger MKIII. Most DA/SA pistols can't compare to a single action gun. The trigger itself is made out of plastic. Here's my suggestion on how to improve it:

1. Send it to a gunsmith who specializes in the 92fs/m9 and have a trigger job done.

2. If you want to do it yourself here's some simple and effective things you can do: a. Get a "D" spring. this is the main spring used for the DAO 92fs and is lighter and will give you a ligher double action and single action pull. b. replace the plastic trigger with a metal one. c. Get a aftermarket sear and hammer set. Cylinder and Slide makes a nice set with improved geometry.

3. The single action travel(over travel) can be reduced. If you are getting a trigger job done the smith usually knows how to reduce it. This can be easily done on most hammer fired semi. some material needs to be removed between the contact surface of the trigger bar and safety lever that pushes on the firing pin block plunger. Some smith welds a stop somewhere to limit the travel. A easier way you can do if you don't know how to do the above yourself is to get a trigger with an overtravel screw installed. Beretta Italy sells it and you need to order it directly from their site. I have one of those but have never installed it.

HTH.

Out of curiosity can you post a picture of the plastic Colt trigger?

Most traditional DA/SA guns like the Beretta will not have the smooth clean trigger pull of a 1911 or MKIII. In fact, the trigger of a 1911 is what makes it the most favorite competition gun around, just because it is THAT good, and the Ruger is also a favorite of target shooters everywhere. Basically you are comparing an average at best trigger with some of the best.

If you do need a good Beretta gunsmith I think I know one or two in the are that used to work on them, although they might be in PA now.

Out of curiosity can you post a picture of the plastic Colt trigger?

Most traditional DA/SA guns like the Beretta will not have the smooth clean trigger pull of a 1911 or MKIII. In fact, the trigger of a 1911 is what makes it the most favorite competition gun around, just because it is THAT good, and the Ruger is also a favorite of target shooters everywhere. Basically you are comparing an average at best trigger with some of the best.

If you do need a good Beretta gunsmith I think I know one or two in the are that used to work on them, although they might be in PA now.

Thanks, I am pretty new to all of this, and expected them to have at least similar trigger pulls. Lessons learned... I'll checkout the websites mentioned above, but would appreciate any info you have on a gunsmith.

Here is the old trigger... It's definitely plastic, and I have a hard time imagining that anyone would have opted for this voluntarily, but I did think that it was weird for Colt to cheap out on this. I got the pistol used from Bob's Little Sport shop last month, and he didn't have any history on it so I don't know the date of manufacture, etc. It came from a Colt 1911 MKIV Series 80 Combat Commander in stainless, and I am pretty sure that I saw some pix of other Colts with this same black plastic trigger. It looks a lot nicer with the skeletonized trigger!

002.jpg

Yep, thats not uncommon, Colt has been fitting plastic triggers and main spring housing to some of their guns over the years. It actually shouldn't matter THAT much because the plastic doesn't really touch the working bits of the gun, but it does feel cheap. On the other hand, some of the best triggers in the world for the 1911 (like the STI ones) have that part made out of plastic (well glass filled nylon, but still).

For the Beretta if you really want a nice trigger talk to Dave Olhasso, he is a many times IDPA national champion who also used to shoot for the Beretta team years ago and although he moved on to shoot for S&W now, he still does some gunsmithing work for Berettas. His website is http://www.olhasso.com and I think he charges $110 for a trigger job (http://www.olhasso.com/PS/services.htm)

You can buy the beretta trigger package right off their site. Have a smith polish any contact parts. Honestly the trigger breaks consistently and its crisp, time will wear it in for the better... I wouldnt change a thing on mine, but then again it isn't a S/A pistol, where as there is "slop" or travel before you hit the break point in S/A. I actually prefer it and it helps me to follow through. I may change it when i start to shoot better, but autoxnyc pretty much hit everything.

http://www.defensive...ob-my-92fs.html

-good thread