johnp

Anyone ever live in Louisiana?

Title says it all. I'm looking for opinions on living in Louisiana. I've been fascinated with LA, since I was a youngster for some reason. It has always appealed to me because of my small French ancestory, my enjoyment of blues music, the food. More recentley I've thinking living near the "swamp" would make for a good doomsday prepper location.(Not a big concern, but something I've been thinking about.)

Going back to college is the plan, I don't have a family so I'm not really worried about crime rates or anything like that. So basically I know it's a long shot but maybe someone has lived there.

Thanks

My brother was at Fort Polk for a couple years, then was a LEO in Louisiana for another few years. This was in the Southwest part of the state.

He repeatedly said that from 9am to 5pm, from May to the middle of September, being outside was miserable. Hot and Humid.

He loved how rural it was though.

I woultn't recommend it at all. At one time I was going to move down here just because I was getting sick of airports and flying back to work. It is miserably hot during the summer. The people aren't the "warmest" down here. It took over 3 yerars on the rig that I've been on for them to quit calling me that "damn yankee!" After being down here for many years I would not recommend it to anyone. If you ever come down to visit, you'll know exactly what Im talking about.

I was stationed in Alabama so I'm aware of the beautiful southern humidity(j/k), and the dislike of yankees. Were the people not warm in general or because you were a yankee?

As was said, it can get hot and humid, and the storms that pass through there can get pretty strong. While it's a fun place to visit and I have a great time I am down there, it's a place I would rather visit than live.

Now if you have your mind made up I'd say go down there and check out the area first before you make any decisions. The city while a blast to hang out does have some section to stay away from, both as far as going and living. I do know if I had to be there I would make my drive a little longer to work or getting to the city and move just north of the lake. I ride my bike down that way to visit friends from time to time and they live in the Covington area, It's a nice area but a little more layed back than here. Again more fun to visit than live in my eyes.

I was stationed in Alabama so I'm aware of the beautiful southern humidity(j/k), and the dislike of yankees. Were the people not warm in general or because you were a yankee?

While there is something to that, I myself have found the people in Bama and LA to be very friendly, at least to me.

I used to spend time down there for work a 1/2 dozen times a year. Now I realize that's different than living there.

Hot and humid yes but, they do have air conditioning in LA. As far as the people... I found as long as you were respectful

and laid back they were accepting. If you're going to be a pushy yankee Ahole, you're gonna have problems.

Yes there were "cowboy bars" that I stayed away from. But as a whole the peeps were nice and the food was GREAT!!!

OH! Everybody that I knew carried a gun!

Yes there were "cowboy bars" that I stayed away from.

Frank, you're missing it man. Have you ever had the pleasure to be able to read the year of a dime in a chicks back pocket??? Well if their bars are like the ones in the AZ, KS, NE, WY, CO, NV, UT, TX, MO, OK, etc that I have been in,,, well lets just say you're missing it dude.. :icon_mrgreen:

Frank, you're missing it man. Have you ever had the pleasure to be able to read the year of a dime in a chicks back pocket??? Well if their bars are like the ones in the AZ, KS, NE, WY, CO, NV, UT, TX, MO, OK, etc that I have been in,,, well lets just say you're missing it dude.. :icon_mrgreen:

Harry- "cowboy bar" was a euphamism for a Redneck, still fighting the war, bad a$$ place with everybody having a chip on there sholder kind of place and cousin love. These places you run the risk of leaving holding your throat to contain bleeding. They are few and far between but there where were enough "country western bars" that I didn't miss the bad a$$ places.

My bad for using a term that was local to the area down there and being misunderstood.

And if the date on the dime was there birthdate that works for me!

Where are you thinking? I lived in Lafayette for 1 year. I liked it and made some good friends. A party town for sure. Lots of festivals with good food and good music. Friday nights in the Spring and Fall were "Down Town Alive". Party in downtown after everyone gets out of work, again good music, cold beer, Jambalaya and other food.

Was hot and humid in the Summer, but maybe I was lucky the year I was there because it wasn't that bad to me. Working at bases in the swamp sucked though due to the large quantities of mosquitos. The bug spray didn't even bother them.

Friends would say the Louisiana could be two different states with the difference of people, the "red necks" up north and the "coon asses" down south.

+1 to what njpilot states. I spent 6mos in lafayette after katrina and loved it and the people. the rednecks up north were fun, coon asses more so, swamp cajuns scary funny.

be prepared to alter your ways of thinking completely and do ever say "well in nj we did it this way." your pov will not be appreciated.

You have never seen heat in NJ or even Death Valley like you can find in Louisiana and Alabama. I had people who worked 60 hours a week in the field from Georgia and Florida falling out.

Regarding Louisiana more specifically, ask people in Texas and Alabama what they think of the FEMA trailer people.

Actual comment I received trying to get gas at 10 pm

"You best keep going boy, we don't like your type round here"

I'd pass on living there.

Wow, no kidding, while I know a lot of places down south don't like northerners, I have never had that problem any place I have gone, and let me tell ya, there were a few places I have been down that way that I though I needed my passport. :icon_mrgreen:

pete... there is more to this story.

I lived over 20 years in georgia, traveled all over the south and southeast into deep rural areas

and only once did I ever feel unsafe and that was because I stumbled on a meth lab.

maybe the play here is a go to college in louisiana, it's cheaper to read the tuition is cheaper and u will really be able to get to meet people from the area

Actual comment I received trying to get gas at 10 pm

"You best keep going boy, we don't like your type round here"

I'd pass on living there.