Joe_Antico

Purchasing a handgun online.

Their is one area that is unclear to me. If I make a purchase online am I required to mail/fax a copy of the NJ Handgun permit form to the seller for them to fill out and then they need to mail it back to the Local/State PD?

The NJSP FAQ eludes to this "The permit must be completed by the seller and buyer. It is the responsibility of the seller to forward the copies to the appropriate authority. Instructions are printed on the permit" but it doesn't define if the procedure differs if I'm doing business online.

From what I understand, the purchased hangun would have to be sent to a NJ FFL. Then you'd go there with your pistol purchase permit and take ownership of the gun. You'd "buy and pay" for the gun online at the place of sale, and pay the FFL a transfer fee (from $25 to $100) and the cost of the NICS.

Before you purchase on-line, you need to make arrangements with a NJ FFL to receive your gun. Once the purchase is made, the NJ FFL has to send a copy of his license to the seller, who then ships the gun to your FFL. If buying from a private party, make sure your receiving FFL is OK with that - not all are. While you are paying the on-line source, you are not taking possession directly from them. You give your P2P to the NJ FFL dealer who receives your gun from the on-line seller. The NJ FFL completes and distributes the form as well as the 4473 (federal) and the NICS check. Transfer fees vary - check first.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Make sure you check with your local FFL about what he charges to do the transfer. There is no set price. I've seen numbers from $40 - $117 including transfer and NICS check.

You don't want any surprises when you go to pick up your gun.

If you want to find (relatively) reasonably priced FFL's in your area, go to Bud's and check their data base of the fees charged by all the FFLs that they deal with.

Or you can go here

http://njgunforums.c.../9585-ffl-fees/

If you let us know whereabouts you live we can give recommendations.

That was what I was going to ask next if I can go to my FFL dealer and he'd handle all the the proper paperwork for me. I wasn't sure if I needed to fax the seller the form before he was able to ship it to my FFL.

You need to make sure your FFL does transfers, then have the FFL fax the seller a copy of his FFL. the seller will then ship the gun to the FFL, and he (FFL) will transfer to you.

I live in Essex County and right now I'm in the process of getting my initial FID and permit. I had a local FFL in mind but ill take the advice of more experienced members to find the best FFL dealer for me.

True Value Hardware in Lincoln Park will do the transfer for $40 with NICS included - that's as cheap as it gets.