hiker88

If you can legally own this, will you buy it?

The form might be easy to fill, but I'm less I'm wrong it also requires the approval of the chief local law enforcement officer which sometimes has its own hassles.

Some LEO's will not sign it, so the other route is to create a trust. With a trust one can bypass the LEO sign off route and also bypass the fingerprint and photograph requirements. In either case the tax is $200 and the wait is running around six months. Even though NFA items are allowed here in the Bluegrass, I don't know anyone who owns a Machine Gun. They really are too expensive, to buy and to shoot.

Regarding NFA items: There does seem to be a growing number of those getting silencers, In Michigan it is now legal to obtain them. Texas also allows them for hunting purposes. They run $400 +/- and also require the $200 tax stamp and the six month wait.

I always thought that was part of the AWB which was allowed to expire. God, that's a shame, those 200K likely won't last forever :(. They should get that repealed.

Haha If I ever run for office, I hope I get all the NJ gun owner's votes. I'd do whatever I could to get CCW nationwide, repeal restrictions on FA, etc.

The law to ban the new registration of 'machine guns' was actually part of the 1986 Firearms Owner Protection Act. The guy who proposed and had the amendment attached was Rep. William J Hughes... from the not-so-great state of..

New Jersey. Ugh.

The form might be easy to fill, but I'm less I'm wrong it also requires the approval of the chief local law enforcement officer which sometimes has its own hassles.

They either sign them or not..if they don't then for around $600.00 or so you form a Trust, and go around the CLEO signoff..Like I said, it's NOT all that onerous, and actually a hell of a lot Simpler than the crap we go through here in NJ.

KPD, i must have had a brain fart, i was speaking in terms of the AR in response to his post about m16's. I do appreciate the knowledge on other MG's i never looked into AK's and the latter.

Ok no worries..remember though that the only "Registered Sear" is the DIAS, the Lightning Link isnt a sear per se, it's a disconnector disruptor in effect. An ACTUAL M-16, ie 3-hole reciever, has the lower as the registered MG.

Wait, so this means that there are only 200K (legal) full auto firearms in the country? I just am curious since you look on youtube, and you see people with full-auto MP40s, and things like that. I mean, perhaps 200K is a larger number than I see it to be, but it seems that there are more full-auto guns than that in the country.

I get confused as hell with this stuff, forgive my ignorance.

200k is an estimate because one of the problem is that the ATF is rather terrible at record keeping. On the other hand, 200k is quite a lot. If you shelled out $20k on a gun that can shoot full auto odds are you did it because you like to shoot full auto so you are going to shoot and shoot a lot, and likely take movies of it, It's not the "I have my hunting rifle and a old .38 in the sock drawer" crowd that owns them.

200k is an estimate because one of the problem is that the ATF is rather terrible at record keeping. On the other hand, 200k is quite a lot. If you shelled out $20k on a gun that can shoot full auto odds are you did it because you like to shoot full auto so you are going to shoot and shoot a lot, and likely take movies of it, It's not the "I have my hunting rifle and a old .38 in the sock drawer" crowd that owns them.

Haha, ATF bad at record keeping? I thought they were pretty good at it considering how well they monitored the F&F guns haha.

That's true, it just seems like a surprisingly low number, I wasn't sure if, perhaps, only weapons firing full rifle, or intermediate cartridges were counted in this. I always thought the 200K referred only to "true" machine guns, such as the M60, M249, and things like that. I figured that perhaps AKs and M16s may count too, but I wasn't sure.

Haha, ATF bad at record keeping? I thought they were pretty good at it considering how well they monitored the F&F guns haha.

That's true, it just seems like a surprisingly low number, I wasn't sure if, perhaps, only weapons firing full rifle, or intermediate cartridges were counted in this. I always thought the 200K referred only to "true" machine guns, such as the M60, M249, and things like that. I figured that perhaps AKs and M16s may count too, but I wasn't sure.

Amazingly enough, they also refuse to allow an Audit of the registry..mainly because (as some surmise) that there have BEEN new MG's transferred to people under circumstances that fall outside of the restrictions of 922(o)...once it becomes public it will be kind of hard for BATFE to tell for example Vald "No, You cannot register that new-manufacture AK Machinegun, when some Politician, or Actor, or some other "Special" individual was able to get a P-90, Kriss, or some other new designed MG without being an 07FFL or SOT. The number i've heard as probably the MOST accurate is in the area of 155,000 total transferrable MG's.. which doesnt SOUND like a lot, but when you realize that since 1986 anything other than one of the "Entry-Level" guns such as the Mac-10, Ruger, or Tube-Built Sten or Sterlings, is an EASY $10K, it took it out of the realm of your average shooter.....Hell you could own a registered DD M-203, and probably 15 cases of practice rounds for what it would cost for a Registered Lower M-16.

For those who think thats expensive, as far as class III stuff goes, that is one of the CHEAPEST options available. A quick check of the web says AK's are about $16k, MP5s $20k, Thompson's $25k, M16s about $24k, and so on.

I'm all for people owning them, but I have no use for them, short of suppressive fire I don't see the point.

Tommy guns can be had for about $5k - 8k, there is actually comparatively quite a lot of them that are transferable.

Tommy guns can be had for about $5k - 8k, there is actually comparatively quite a lot of them that are transferable.

I've never EVER seen one for less than $18,500..... Show me an ad that has a Transferrable Thompson for that Amount, NOT a Post-1986 Sample

18.5 is entry level for a transferable Thompson. A C&R Thompson will set you back more for the ability to direct transfer in states that allow it.

There are always one off deals from someone who needs money to someone that has the cash but they are rare.