My comment was not directed towards you at all. I am referring to this entire thread. There is no reason this question should even have been raised.

Op, If you are so worried about neighbors seeing your guns, or people calling the police, don't bring your guns outside to show the neighbors. Keep them inside.

Some people are so paranoid on this forum about gun laws. While the laws are strict, the police aren't searching houses to see if your muzzle brake is pinned, or your adjustable stock is pinned. I am not condoning illegal gun modifications at all by saying this, but when pictures are shown online and the poster feels the need to say "this is welded" or "this is pinned" or "magazine modified" it really is paranoia.

If your neighbor wants to touch your guns, he doesn't need an FID. If he wants to buy, he does. It's really quite simple.

If you are worried about legalities, do these type of things inside where you have privacy

It was my question and a question of legality, not paranoia. Sorry you weren't able to see the difference.

I would seriously suggest a more discrete method of showing your neighbor your rifle. I think that either taking it into his house, or inviting him over to your house, would both be better options. Not for legal issues...but simply for keeping the fact that you own firearms more of a secret. You don't know your neighbors well enough. What if one neighbor happens to see it, tells all his friends, yadda yadda....next thing you know, someone's breaking into your house because they KNOW you have firearms. I just think it's safer to keep the number of people who know you're a firearms owner low. You can do as you please, simply consider what I'm saying.

+1

IMO, IANAL, but technically this scenario would be illegal without following the laws on xfers/acquisition/disposition of firearms. This would be a temporary xfer under the law. It can only take place under certain circumstances. FID's are not the issue. COE's are. If you want to hand a long gun to someone else outside of the temporary xfer exemptions, COE's would have to be filled out before the xfer can take place. Then when the gun is handed back, a new set of COE's would technically need to be filled out.

If you are hunting in designated legal hunting areas with a firearm that is legally usable for hunting, on a designated target range, or in some training class situations, temporary xfers are OK without the COE process, and even account for HG's. There are some additional laws regarding minors that are even more flexible believe it or not.

Think of it this way... there are separate laws that govern acquisition and transferring versus possession and carrying. To hand someone a gun, both areas of law have to be accounted for. If you already own the gun yourself, then the possession and carrying laws are your main concern. If you want to acquire a gun or hand over a gun to someone else, then you have to account for those laws before the possession laws even come into play.

That being said, 99.9% of the time, the activity that you are describing would not be pursued by LE... but that doesn't make it "legal"....

If in fact what you are saying is correct (and it sounds like BS, but maybe not) How do they hand you a long gun accross the counter in a gun shop? Or is there an exception?

How do you inspect a firearm before purchase?

Paul help us out here.

I have been broken into 3 times , once while we were home and my 75 year old Grandfather and I spent a lot of adrenaline trying to keep him from getting through the backdoor with our own pick ax . The only thing that kept him out was the fact that my paranoid Grandfather had put a bolt from the door into the floor at the bottom of the back door. Yes , some of us are a little leary of getting broken into..for the 4th time. It is not a number I am striving for. :)

Well-past time to move.

If in fact what you are saying is correct (and it sounds like BS, but maybe not) How do they hand you a long gun accross the counter in a gun shop? Or is there an exception? How do you inspect a firearm before purchase? Paul help us out here.

Old School. A wise man once told me to do research, and so I did. ;)

First we look at temporary xfer conditions, your home is not an exempt location and circumstance but, it gives us an out in the name of N.J.S.2C:58-3 which covers "The Purchase of Firearms". So we have to follow those rules when we can't use temporary xfer exemptions...

2C:58-3.1. Temporary transfer of firearms

1. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S.2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary

So to hand someone a HG or long gun outside of temporary exemption rules , you will be "giving" it to them, and they will be "receive"ing it. You have to follow these rules , which means for HG's they have to have a PPP, and with a long gun, show FID and fill out a COE. The COE is the "receiver or holder signs a written certification, on a form prescribed by the superintendent, which shall indicate that he presently complies with the requirements of subsection c"

2C:58-3. a. Permit to purchase a handgun. No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, nor receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire a handgun unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a dealer under this chapter or has first secured a permit to purchase a handgun as provided by this section.

b.Firearms purchaser identification card. No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of nor receive, purchase or otherwise acquire an antique cannon or a rifle or shotgun, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a dealer under this chapter or possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, and first exhibits said card to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor, and unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder signs a written certification, on a form prescribed by the superintendent, which shall indicate that he presently complies with the requirements of subsection c. of this section and shall contain his name, address and firearms purchaser identification card number or dealer's registration number. The said certification shall be retained by the seller, as provided in paragraph (4) of subsection a. of N.J.S.2C:58-2, or, in the case of a person who is not a dealer, it may be filed with the chief of police of the municipality in which he resides or with the superintendent.