I was JUST about to post something on this :)

To me this is troublesome. At least knock off apparel spells the name slightly different to spot a fake. How can a legitimate business openly sell fake products biting off another company's success? Knockoffs are the same principle I guess but at least if it said "EOTeck" you have the option to call it what it is.

Im I off entirely about this? I know id be pissed if I were the CEO of EOTech and I saw my name being placed on false products and sold openly through established businesses and not even some random fly by night vendor.

I've actually been curious about this lately, that is, the use of airsoft accessories on real steel firearms. Airsoft is odd because even though there are accessories sold specifically for the sport, often cheaper than the real parts (and many licensed by the real manufacturers, Magpul being the biggest example), many airsofters still prefer the real gear.

That being said, I'm not sure how the optics on such accessories are. If they're as precise in their displays and stuff, I wouldn't have a problem with them at all. Most shooters don't realize that airsofters put their gear through some serious abuse. Most of the webgear, and molle stuff we use is either milsurp, or chinese manufactured copies of milsurp (suprisingly, the quality here can be very good as well). As long as the sights are capable of real steel distances, don't discount airsoft accessories as crap. The only question is how they handle recoil, but if airsofters review the gear as holding up to abuse, and taking a beating, they mean it. I've tripped and landed on the barrels of airsoft guns, smacked my reflex sight on trees, gotten dirt all in the sights. You name it, and I've likely done it to my airsoft guns/gear. I'm actually considering putting the NCstar reflex sight I have on my back up AEG (automatic electric gun) onto my real AR, as my main AEG uses iron sights (including a copy of the PRI gasblock folding sight).

I'm considering picking this up at some point.

The only way to REALLY spot a fake is to look at the reticule. Sometime it is easier to spot a fake by aesthetics, but the red dot should look grainy, like a laser would look. They also come in a nice L3 plastic case, unlike most fakes that come in a cardboard box. They are also serialized, so you could always check with eotech.The Aimpoints are harder to spot since they use diodes like all the others. Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10 you need to have the sight in your hand to make the determination.

Honestly, i'm not sure if it's even legal for them to sell these fake models, pretty clear on the *trademark infringement....Even if they are just retailing them, its the samething as the guys on the street selling fake designer bags... It's one thing to buy one off ebay from some guy in china, but if its a US retailer selling them, i dunno how they get away with it.

The only way to REALLY spot a fake is to look at the reticule. Sometime it is easier to spot a fake by aesthetics, but the red dot should look grainy, like a laser would look. The Aimpoints are harder to spot since they use diodes like all the others.

Honestly, i'm not sure if it's even legal for them to sell these fake models, pretty clear on the copy write infringement....Even if they are just retailing them, its the samething as the guys on the street selling fake designer bags...

Perhaps the legality is different in this example, but stuff like this is fairly common in airsoft. Since one of the draws to the sport is that airsoft guns are modeled after real guns, trademarks are, to many, a HUGE deal when deciding on an airsoft gun/gear. (I am not one of those people). For the most part, companies like Umarex, and Cybergun have most of the trademark agreements. This causes a problem in the airsoft community since (well, Umarex is decent) cybergun also generally sells some crappy guns.

You'd be surprised how infrequently trademarks are enforced in this situation. Even when they are, it's usually cybergun who would push for the legal action, and not the real manufacturer. For instance, mid-upper grade airsoft company Echo1 was banned from Shotshow by Cybergun since Echo1 used some trademarks that Cybergun held the rights to. CG issued a restraining order from SHOT show, and I believe also filed for a "Cease and Desist". (admittedly E1 outsources work to Chinese airsoft manufacturers, with minor Spec. changes, yet label themselves an American airsoft company) However, for the most part E1 has better quality products than CG. However, since most airsofters get wrapped up in the whole trademark issue, E1 decided to risk the legal action, and use them anyway, since CG holds a monopoly on using real trades.

In otherwords, I wouldn't be surprised if this just flies under the radar. Most likely it is not a well known company producing these clones (unlike E1) and it would be hard for EOtech to point the finger. They may file some sort of motion if the clones are of REALLY shoddy quality, since that tarnishes their image, but unless these things really take off, I doubt suing the company is high on EOtech's agenda.

It makes me think of grand tursmo and porsche, they finally released the trademarks and licensing to make the cars in the game. it also reminds of RC car bodies and the amount of money that companies pay manufactures so they can make scale cars( thinking kyosho mini-z) every single car is licensed to be made and sold by kyosho. In both these cases, the REAL manufactures would sue the hell out of them if they decided to produce copies with out the proper licensing and it has happened before( i think they made a Mini Cooper body that wasnt licenses and it was pulled after a lawsuit). When companies loose lots of money to other companies ripping off there products, ooooohhh trust me, it doesnt fly under the radar., even when its just a scale replica, or something as stupid as a graphic in a video game. The problem is when you have independant companies making fakes in china.... not much u can do about that. But they can stop retailers from selling in US under trademark laws. It would only take one sale of a fake to create a multimilion dollar law suit. For the most part, you only see these fakes on ebay and such.

Im not really sure im soley disappointed at the clones existence, moreso then a local business exploiting it. Kinda like going to any other retail store that sells a product, then next to said product is the identical product with a sale sign saying "fake, 1/2 price"

It is their choice to do it, but it seems unethical to sell carbon copy fakes of a real product you sell right next to it

Im not really sure im soley disappointed at the clones existence, moreso then a local business exploiting it. Kinda like going to any other retail store that sells a product, then next to said product is the identical product with a sale sign saying "fake, 1/2 price"

I guess I have a different outlook due to airsoft. We've been using clones/fakes for a while now. Of course, they don't always hold up as well, but when you get a diamond in the dirt, they're fantastic. Of course, this is due mainly to quality control. It doesn't bother me as much, if EOtech gets worried, maybe they could put out a "sport-line".

In all honesty if you think you could get a brand new eotech for 150 you should expect a knock off but on the other hand the shop should label it for airsoft or for 22 rifles or pellet guns

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The question is, is it only good for .22 or airsoft? I think that it would be interesting to try this thing out and see how good it is.

I guess I have a different outlook due to airsoft. We've been using clones/fakes for a while now. Of course, they don't always hold up as well, but when you get a diamond in the dirt, they're fantastic. Of course, this is due mainly to quality control. It doesn't bother me as much, if EOtech gets worried, maybe they could put out a "sport-line".

My gripe is that they are labeling them as EOtech, and L3. They Should not say either. Who ever is making them should put there name on their product, not some other company, OR get the licensing to do so.

I bought a EoTech holographic clone from a shop on Ebay a couple months back. I think I paid $50 with free shipping. Recently replaced it with a name brand red dot sight due to the bulkiness of the holographic sight on my rifle (Beretta Cx4 Storm 9mm). Low and behold, the knockoff EoTech held zero better than the name brand red dot currently on there. Who'da thunk...

companies that sell this fake garbage are a huge blow to the firearms community.. putting this garbage on the market is a bunch of fail..

want a cheap red dot no arguments with that.. buy one..

but don't support companies that rip off quality goods..

people should NOT EVER buy these because once you buy them then they are in the market.. the more fake low quality garbage floating around.. the more likely you will eventually get burned..

primary arms makes an AWESOME low cost red dot.. that is BRANDED primary arms.. no need for this fake knock off trash..

I bought a EoTech holographic clone from a shop on Ebay a couple months back. I think I paid $50 with free shipping. Recently replaced it with a name brand red dot sight due to the bulkiness of the holographic sight on my rifle (Beretta Cx4 Storm 9mm). Low and behold, the knockoff EoTech held zero better than the name brand red dot currently on there. Who'da thunk...

I know of no high quality optic (trijicon, aimpoint, eotech, etc.. ) that does not hold zero..

my comment to them on facebook for those of you who are not FB friends with me..

with all due respect why would you participate in pushing more knock offs into the market.. there are plenty or low cost quality optics (primary arms comes to mind) that do not blatently rip off quality companies..

I think it is lame when companies jump for the quick buck.. and cast aside any consideration for quality and integrity..

The knock-off market will always exist, and to a certain degree it serves as a function of consumption for the working class. That doesn't mean its good product of course.

For me, if possible, I always check serial numbers with the company. I've done this with Aimpoints, Trijicons, and EOTechs; and this is even if I'm buying from a reputable source.

The knock-off market will always exist, and to a certain degree it serves as a function of consumption for the working class. That doesn't mean its good product of course.

For me, if possible, I always check serial numbers with the company. I've done this with Aimpoints, Trijicons, and EOTechs; and this is even if I'm buying from a reputable source.

you don't need a $500 optic to play the game... but there are plenty of decent non $500 optics out there that are not ripping off other peoples material...

you don't need a $500 optic to play the game... but there are plenty of decent non $500 optics out there that are not ripping off other peoples material...

I agree to a certain extent, but understand that mechanical reproduction is fueled by the consumer-- the businesses doing it are just feeding said consumers. If companies had that big of an issue, go after the consumers, not the businesses-- because that would solve nothing.

And by go after the consumer, I mean target your product better (not pursue legal matters, haha). Give people a reason to buy your product over a knock-off. Whether that's price, or a marketing campaign. Look at the big-name training groups... Magpul used Aimpoints (mostly), SGM Lamb uses EOTechs and Leupold (or at least gave them a vote of confidence), LAV uses Aimpoints (or irons I guess). All pretty effective marketing campaigns.

As for kicking down prices, look at what Aimpoint did with the PRO, basically listing an optic geared for the LE for relatively cheaper than their other products. Of course the optic is acquirable by civilians, but the fact that they geared it for LE only juiced up the product (along with the price)... same how if you paint something black you can call it tactical (and the masses will come a knockin')-- same with "zombie gear," haha.

Primary Arms is unique in that they must have friends in warehouses where the big-name companies get their parts from. They've actually acknowledged this to a certain degree themselves before on a forum (I'll link it if I can find it). Its the reason why I have no problems recommending Primary Arms because I know its quality parts (plus they're great guys).

So, yes, my point is that knock-off companies will always exist. Focus on the core issue, which is providing a great product that people are willing to buy.