Business owner willing to say screw you to the manufacturers it buys from? Unethical....and they advertise that they are unethical which = not smart.

As others pointed out they are also supporting the spread of counterfeit optics into the gun market. It's like pirating software and selling it to other people advertising that it is pirated.

Lets clear up some nomenclature. To me:

A knock off is a cheap copy of an existing product that loosely resembles the product its copying. In other words you can see the resemblance.

These usually dance on the edge of patent/copyright infringement and are altered enough to not be a blatent infringement.

A replica is an exact copy of an existing product. It takes examination to determine real from fake. In most cases the manufacturer and the importer are playing a game of catch me if you can. We know we are violating the law but we are going to do it anyway. I have a problem with this. The secondary problem it creates is the fakes enter the market and start getting sold as the real thing. The consumer bares little responsibilty in this matter as I think it could be argued that the general consumer, likely a teenage kid, has no idea the product is illicit. The importer is the one who should take the hit. The solution is simple. The Co. making the replica should license the likeness from the manufacturer and pay a royalty and mark the unit underneath to indicate its a replica. This has been done already by some replica manufacturers. Otherwise its stealing. I know my fellow NJGF members wouldnt buy stolen items right?

May get some flak for this, but why does everyone care THAT much? I mean, it's not like they're passing off the counterfeits as real, which would be screwing the customer, and if they get busted for it, that's on them. I mean, I'm just surprised people are THAT upset over them stocking this, sure it's a clone, but not everyone needs to drop $400 on a sight, if you don't like the sight, don't buy it.

Just my $0.02

Let me paint a picture for you. 10,000 Eofakes hit the market. In todays digital age everyone that got one of these and believes it to be real starts blabbing on their favorite forum about how their POS eotch wont hold zero, fell apart, went TU starts hitting the big old WWW. What does that do to the credability, market share, and brand recognition of the real company?

May get some flak for this, but why does everyone care THAT much? I mean, it's not like they're passing off the counterfeits as real, which would be screwing the customer, and if they get busted for it, that's on them. I mean, I'm just surprised people are THAT upset over them stocking this, sure it's a clone, but not everyone needs to drop $400 on a sight, if you don't like the sight, don't buy it.

Just my $0.02

Here's the thing, Kaiser. As Airsofters, we don't care about it that much because we KNOW we're buying a clone/knockoff and are ok with it. If reselling these to other airsofters, we and they know that they're knockoffs. In the real gun community, people aren't always as savvy/aware as we are normally with what they're buying. What if someone knowingly buys one of these knockoffs and then tries to resell it as a real EOTech?

Let me paint a picture for you. 10,000 Eofakes hit the market. In todays digital age everyone that got one of these and believes it to be real starts blabbing on their favorite forum about how their POS eotch wont hold zero, fell apart, went TU starts hitting the big old WWW. What does that do to the credability, market share, and brand recognition of the real company?

That's true. That's why I credit Rayco with openly saying they're knock-offs.

Here's the thing, Kaiser. As Mall Ninjas, we don't care about it that much because we KNOW we're buying a clone/knockoff and are ok with it. If reselling these to other airsofters, we and they know that they're knockoffs. In the real gun community, people aren't always as savvy/aware as we are normally with what they're buying. What if someone knowingly buys one of these knockoffs and then tries to resell it as a real EOTech?

fixed :lol:

That's true. That's why I credit Rayco with openly saying they're knock-offs.

But they are openly admitting to breaking the law.... which doesn't exactly give them any credit at all. Which makes me wonder what other illegal and unethical business they par take in. These are not "knock offs" They are replicas/copies. They are, IMHO giving gun stores in this state more bad rep., They clearly do not take any of this into consideration.

Well here's the thing - they're actually BRANDED as EOTechs - so they're knockoffs.

It doesn't matter what you call them - except illegal. They are intended to deceive, and while Rayco may disclose the fact they aren't the real thing, what happens in the secondary market? Also, as Shane pointed out, these hurt the brand integrity of the real thing. While you may purchase an item, the manufacturer maintains control over their trademark. When I was in the automotive industry, we actually forced a dealer to deidentify our product (remove all brand names, logos and trademarks) because of what they had done to it - we did not want it represented as ours.

As far as I'm concerned Rayco is in collusion with the counterfeiters and they should all (manufacturer, importer, wholesaler and retailer) be held accountable under the law.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Shane and Bob are 100% right. Rayco should be held accountable if they are selling these knowing that they are not legit pieces. At least put a sticker on them stating that they are not EOtechs, or cover the name completely.

Who will handle warranty issues with these?

It doesn't matter what you call them - except illegal. They are intended to deceive, and while Rayco may disclose the fact they aren't the real thing, what happens in the secondary market? Also, as Shane pointed out, these hurt the brand integrity of the real thing. While you may purchase an item, the manufacturer maintains control over their trademark. When I was in the automotive industry, we actually forced a dealer to deidentify our product (remove all brand names, logos and trademarks) because of what they had done to it - we did not want it represented as ours.

As far as I'm concerned Rayco is in collusion with the counterfeiters and they should all (manufacturer, importer, wholesaler and retailer) be held accountable under the law.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

/thread

Shane and Bob are 100% right. Rayco should be held accountable if they are selling these knowing that they are not legit pieces. At least put a sticker on them stating that they are not EOtechs, or cover the name completely.

Who will handle warranty issues with these?

the problem I have is that you have a large reputable company spending time and money on a quality product..

then you get this junk flooded into the market...

now secondary sales.. I (in most cases) know what to look for to tell the real one.. but some are VERY close.. and what that does is 1) takes sales away from the real manufacturer who is putting the time and money in R&D.. and 2) negatively impacting the reputation when a consumer buys a fake one that ends up being junk (thinking it is real)

like I said.. you don't need a $500 optic.. not everyone is going to buy that kind of stuff.. and that is why companies like Primary Arms make money... they turn out a good quality piece at a reasonable cost..

So aside from company revanue and reputation, how are knock off replicas a problem? Well, I can tell you that this crap has managed to actually find its way onto real deal unit weapons and when they failed operationally and clearly prematurely and sent to the manufacturer was it discovered to be a fake. This problem is not limited to firearms. It has become enough of a problem with replaecement parts in things like planes and helicopters that I believe there is a program being reviewed to create a metalurgical dna for these parts to quickly ID then as real or fake. Loose a few multi million dollar pieces of equipment and loss of life because of fake parts and it becomes real clear there is a considerable issue at hand.

I'm glad to see the people behind these counterfeits get what they deserve. But to reinforce my original comment regarding this matter, is it really a win? Say a few are busted... nay, a few hundred are busted, but regardless the problem itself won't go away. Other counterfeiters will replace the ones that are disposed, so is the problem ever really solved? I'm not saying that there should be inaction-- like I said, I'm glad to see the counterfeiters get busted, but how is the problem actually solved... or can we only slow the bleeding?

To me, as I said before, the core issue is the want for these kinds of counterfeit products by enough consumers that counterfeiters find the reason to take the risk. If I knew the solution for that, I'd be a rich man

In my opinion, those doing the deed may very well take notice they can go down for this and actually decide to alter the offering. Should we stop locking up bank robbers because bank robbery continues to occur? At some level it is a deterent.....

In this case I dont see the want as the core issue as the real intended market is kids. But as other manufacturers have done for the same market, is to pay the likeness royalty. problem solved.

I'm glad to see the people behind these counterfeits get what they deserve. But to reinforce my original comment regarding this matter, is it really a win? Say a few are busted... nay, a few hundred are busted, but regardless the problem itself won't go away. Other counterfeiters will replace the ones that are disposed, so is the problem ever really solved? I'm not saying that there should be inaction-- like I said, I'm glad to see the counterfeiters get busted, but how is the problem actually solved... or can we only slow the bleeding?

To me, as I said before, the core issue is the want for these kinds of counterfeit products by enough consumers that counterfeiters find the reason to take the risk. If I knew the solution for that, I'd be a rich man

the biggest problem I have is this...

the firearms community asks for rights.. they ask for these rights stating they are honest.. law abiding citizens.. people who are of good moral character..

this does not come across as accurate when selling bootleg counterfeit goods..

You don't walk into Macy's and see them selling faux Louis Vuitton handbags with a "Faux" sign on them. The knock-off stuff is sold at flea markets and on Canal St. If Rayco starts to stock authentic stuff how can you trust that the $500 EOTech for sale at Rayco is real?