Bowling Ball

Looking for a 5.45 need suggestions

Hi all,

Looking for a decent 74 (5.45) clone. I am torn between whether to get a Saiga and convert it or get a 'Polish Tantal' from gbroker for about $500?

The Saiga is 450 + conversion parts. I could do the labor myself.

My main concern is which one would be better, from what I read Saiga has a great reputation. Can't find much about the Tantals on here. But the Tantal would save me some bucks and it's pretty much what I want, wood etc.

I don't want to get suck with a piece of junk though!

ANY advice would be appreciated!

Don't get either. Saiga is work and not all but some Tantal's keep on having issues. I personally don't like side folders in a AWB state, you need to weld it open which totally defeats the purpose and putting a wood stock on takes work.

Get a Waffenwerks, one of the best quality 74's you can get right now for the money...about $650 right now and they keep on going up in price every several months. They were $580 6 months ago. Every shipment a company gets, they are sold out vey quickly so good luck. You will not be disappointed, I promise you.

Neither.

Waffen werks AK-74

http://centerfiresys...gun-bul-wd.aspx

Theres a few other places out there that have them.

What is has over the Saiga:

-No work

-NDS receiver

-24mm FSB

-Zigzag brake

-Cleaning rod

-Proper gas block

-Proper handguard retainer

The tantals are built by century, the early ones have had keyholing problems. You dont really see alot of them out there...plus the stock is uncomfortable and its only redeeming quality is that it folds...but once in NJ you have to weld it open so its just....uncomfortable

The tantal & waffen werks would both need modifications to be NJ legal, JET Agent LLC (I am affiliated with them, fourm vendor here) can do the neccesary mods & transfer

Nice! I like that Waffen works. Anybody know of any locally for sale? I've handled various 47's but never a 74.

If I did get one what does it cost to get the brake fixed on?

Do you guys see the 5.45 round being available years from now?

And thanks for all the quick replies, I appreciate it a lot!

No one sells 74's, nonetheless anything but WASR's or Saiga's, locally. You will have to buy it off the internet and get it shipped to an FFL who will do the transfer and the work on it. I have had tons of things worked on as well as transferred by JetAgent, I am a very satisfied customer and would highly suggest them.

I wouldn't worry about any ammo shortages. For some people that's all they seem to worry about, but the trick is actually rather simple...stock up on 3k, 8k, or 15k+ rounds and you won't have to worry about it. :D

Edit: And I will vouch for WW's. You won't have to worry about getting canted sights or any of the issues that some other AK's have. Their quality speaks for themselves, and I have yet to see any negative things said about them on numerous AK forums.

I think I'm going to stick with the one from centerfire, it's a good looking rifle!

Will post pics after I get it. You guys are more than welcome to take out for a spin too! Just show me a few pointers on it as I'm new to the ak platform :-)

Just need to get the funds ready!

If you're looking at the Bulgarian with plum furniture off Centerfire, it looks to be a Waffenwerks.

Nice looking rifles. What is the cost to make it nj legal? Can you get blocked 30 rd mags for them? Any sites that sell accessories like better sites, slings and vertical grips? I was intending to get an ar but I am now interested in his platform.

Nice looking rifles. What is the cost to make it nj legal? Can you get blocked 30 rd mags for them? Any sites that sell accessories like better sites, slings and vertical grips? I was intending to get an ar but I am now interested in his platform.

It'll be about 100 bucks to convert them to Nj legal. Yes, you can get pinned mags for them. I would not suggest upgrading the sights on an AK but their are a few companies that do sell aftermarket sights and a lot of companies that sell other accessories.

Don't get an AR. You'll have more fun with an AK!

It'll be about 100 bucks to convert them to Nj legal. Yes, you can get pinned mags for them. I would not suggest upgrading the sights on an AK but their are a few companies that do sell aftermarket sights and a lot of companies that sell other accessories.

Don't get an AR. You'll have more fun with an AK!

Thanks RF!