deni

Does one need an FFL to be a gunsmith?

In some states, no not to work on state residents firearms (at least that's what I ahve been told). In NJ, definitely yes, as you need a permit or an FFL to affect a transfer. Regardless of the actual limit of the letter of the law, you save yourself problems with just getting the FFL that outweigh the hassle of getting the FFL.

Ok so as far as doing work on receivers and handguns then yeah.

But like upper receivers and compliance work I may be ok.

Assuming I have no receiver in my possession I can work on stocks, barrels muzzle devices etc? Or handgun slides/sights

As far as obtaining an ffl, I'm assuming that may take quite some time.

What zoning laws am I looking for that would disqualify me from possessing one?

I looked into this as well some years ago. Went and got my C&R and in short order cancelled it after hearing about the liabilities associated with having one in the PRNJ. Let's just say NJ doesn't make it easy or a good investment if you hope to make money without planning for a long drawn out process with lots of hurdles. I have taken a few armorers courses and have purchased a lot of specific tools and maintain a fair amount of parts to assist friends with thier maintenance / minor repair / scope installation / bore sigthing needs. Typically they stick around while I do anything...no parts with a serial number are left without its owner.