TheDon

Deadly Red Rider 200-Round Assault Firearms?

Unfortunately, I let my fear uncertainty and disinformation deprive my children on the Red Rider experience. The children of a friend of mine are now coming to that Red Rider age. He is considering getting a couple and he asked me how it would work.

6 years ago when I looked into them for my kids, I asked the guy at Dicks why he only had pellet rifles an no BB guns. He told me that BB guns were illegal in NJ. He also told me that I could buy one in PA and sneak it in, but the kids would have to shoot in the basement because they could not shoot in the back yard.

I know how much credibility gun-store lawyers have, so I figured I would bounce the idea off the forum.

What say y’all? Can my friend’s kids plink tin cans off a sawhorse in the back yard?

(This thread is not about safety. Assume a safe and suitable setup)

The local ordinace is silent on BB guns. I know that for hunting in our area you cannot discharge a firearm within some number of feet from a residence. I think it is 450 feet, but I am not sure.

Assuming BB guns would be considered firearms...

The average lot width in our development is around 150 feet. If the distance is 450 feet, that means my neighbor would need written permission from all of his neighbors 3 houses in all directions for his kids to plink in his back yard. That is like 18 or 20 homes. :facepalm:

Thanks. I'll pass along the info.

The local ordinace is silent on BB guns. I know that for hunting in our area you cannot discharge a firearm within some number of feet from a residence. I think it is 450 feet, but I am not sure.

Assuming BB guns would be considered firearms...

The average lot width in our development is around 150 feet. If the distance is 450 feet, that means my neighbor would need written permission from all of his neighbors 3 houses in all directions for his kids to plink in his back yard. That is like 18 or 20 homes. :facepalm:

Thanks. I'll pass along the info.

you are missing the point...

the law does not need to specifically mention "bb guns".... "bb guns" are "firearms" so discharging them is within the realm of discharging a firearm..

you are missing the point...

the law does not need to specifically mention "bb guns".... "bb guns" are "firearms" so discharging them is within the realm of discharging a firearm..

You are not reading what I wrote. ;-)

I said "Assuming BB guns would be considered firearms..." and then I went on to do the absurd calculation on the number of homes my neighbor would need to get written permission from. Which, of course, would never happen.

Another alternative with ' less headache ' would be airsoft guns, similar deal, plastic bb. But I dont think they are considered firearms, as far as I know you can go into dicks or whatever and just buy one.

Airsoft guns are not considered firearms. We airsofters fought against a bill a few months back which would have classified them as such. However, you still need to be careful, since most airsoft guns are modeled after real guns. If I may make a recommendation, There is a REALLY nice gas-powered airsoft levergun out now.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=9924

You'll need greengas to fire it, but that lasts for a while if you get a propane adapter, and silicone lube (100% silicone) you can use those little propane tanks they sell for camping to fill the mechanism. They don't shoot as well in cold weather, but this thing has some power behind it. In the ballpark of 500 feet per second, IIRC, which is great since most airsoft guns fire around 350 fps with a .2gram bb.

I got all my initial exposure to firearms, including safety, how to shoot, etc. from airsoft guns.

I would get a remington look alike bolt action 700 airsoft gun, Bolt action spring loaded. Upgrade the spring to a 500fps, you can have a lot of fun with something like that just short of breaking glass. And of course it is 100% legal to own and use anywhere on your property.

I would get a remington look alike bolt action 700 airsoft gun, Bolt action spring loaded. Upgrade the spring to a 500fps, you can have a lot of fun with something like that just short of breaking glass. And of course it is 100% legal to own and use anywhere on your property.

You'll put your eye out with that thing. :sarcastichand:

I had a bad experience with BB guns and shooting in a back yard, if you are not 1000 feet from any homes i would not let them shoot in the back yard.

Yes BB guns are considered a firearm in NJ..

And yes a Red Ryder was involved..

All it takes is one neighbor that does not like guns..

if it is a bb gun..

it is a firearm...

it can only be used on your property if you can legally shoot any gun on your property.. in NJ a bb gun IS a firearm..

The problem with the spring guns is that the heavier the spring, the harder it is to operate the bolt, that's why I'd recommend a gas gun. For a kid, it may be a little hard. Although the JG BAR-10 is cheap, and pretty good, as is the Tokyo Marui VSR10, both of which are modeled after the Remington R700.

What say y’all? Can my friend’s kids plink tin cans off a sawhorse in the back yard?

The local ordinace is silent on BB guns. I know that for hunting in our area you cannot discharge a firearm within some number of feet from a residence. I think it is 450 feet, but I am not sure. Assuming BB guns would be considered firearms... The average lot width in our development is around 150 feet. If the distance is 450 feet, that means my neighbor would need written permission from all of his neighbors 3 houses in all directions for his kids to plink in his back yard. That is like 18 or 20 homes. :facepalm: Thanks. I'll pass along the info.
you are missing the point... the law does not need to specifically mention "bb guns".... "bb guns" are "firearms" so discharging them is within the realm of discharging a firearm..
You are not reading what I wrote. ;-) I said "Assuming BB guns would be considered firearms..." and then I went on to do the absurd calculation on the number of homes my neighbor would need to get written permission from. Which, of course, would never happen.
I was unable to find anything relating to discharge of firearms in the 2007 Lumberton codebook (the latest I could find). If the ordinance you are referencing is anything like other discharge ordinances, permission from neighbors is irrelevant. Assuming that permission could defeat the distance restrictions, in order for your "calculation" to work, you would also have to assume that plinking is hunting, which it is not.