SgtToadette

Hopewell resident happy to join the ranks.

Hello fellow NJ gun enthusiasts!

My name's Zack. If you didn't gather from the title, I'm a resident of Hopewell. Hopewell's located about 30 minutes or so north of Trenton in Mercer County if that helps the more visually inclined out there.

I'm rather new to guns. I'm only 21 and I'm going through the FID application process as I type. I applied on April 10th (the day after my 21st birthday) and was fingerprinted on April 18th. I am yet to hear anything from my PD, and I actually have a few questions regarding the subject that I'll try to find a more appropriate area of the forum for.

If all goes as planned, I hope to be a proud FID card-carrying member of the forum. I recently completed the NRA First Steps program offered by Gun For Hire and had a total blast. Was worth every penny. I've spent at least the last two years researching various makes, models, and calibers in an attempt to find the perfect first pistol for me. I've narrowed it down to a few different firearms (ordered from most desired to "least"):

• H&K P30L V2 in 9mm,
  • Walther PPQ in 9 mm, and...
  • Sig Sauer P226 Enhanced Elite in (you guessed it) 9mm.

I'm really excited to have found a gun community dedicated to New Jersey residents. I'm sure we can all understand our *ahem* "unique" situation compared to the more free states in the union. I'm a curious person by nature and will probably be asking a lot of questions. That said, I realize my place in the grand scheme and know that being relatively new inherently makes me very prone to error. If I say something wrong, use incorrect terminology, or make an incorrect inference please, by all means, LET ME KNOW! I'm here to learn, contribute, and observe.

If anybody has experience with any of the firearms above let me know what your experience was! If you have any recommendations for a first pistol I also appreciate the input. As a disclaimer, however, I don't have much of an interest in Glocks. I was certified in the class mentioned above with a Glock 19 and have held a Glock 17 and didn't care for the grip angle or aesthetics. M&Ps felt a bit awkward in hand but they are by all reports very respectable firearms. The XD(M)s I tried fit my hand well, but were outclassed in the ergos department by H&K.

I'm also curious about Gun Shops in the Central entire Jersey area. I'm willing to pay a little extra and drive a little further if it means supporting a good gun shop with newbie friendly staff.

Thanks for going through my long-winded introduction. If there's one thing I've learned from my research, it's that gun owners hate it when new people assume too much, so I hope I'm starting off on a good foot.

-Zack

Hi Zack and Welcome ,

Great intro , hope you get your FID soon. Also i hope you applied for pistol permits when you applied for the FID.

Some shops up this way are:

Lou`s in Raritan

Sportsmans Rendezvous in Flemington

Heritage Guild in Branchburg,NJ and further north Heritage Guild in Easton (nice new range where you can rent i believe all the guns you have listed).

.............do try the forum vendors first when buying , a lot of folks here are committed to supporting the vendors of NJGF.

About the Glock thing..............you ll eventually go over to the dark side.

glock_darkside.jpg

Greetings from another Hopewellite - actually the township, not Hopewell proper - but same PD. Last set of permits took about 5 - 6 weeks. The Hopewell PD is not too bad to deal with, and compared to some of the horror stories you'll read on here, they're gems. Welcome to the board and to the shooting sports. Any questions, post or feel free to PM me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Greetings from another Hopewellite - actually the township, not Hopewell proper - but same PD. Last set of permits took about 5 - 6 weeks. The Hopewell PD is not too bad to deal with, and compared to some of the horror stories you'll read on here, they're gems. Welcome to the board and to the shooting sports. Any questions, post or feel free to PM me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Awesome! I'm located less than 2 miles from the high school. The Detective I spoke to was friendly and easy to talk to. The dispatcher, eh, not so much. I'm gonna give them a call today and see what the course of action is. Nice to have a few neighbors on the forum!

EDIT: Won't call based off your post in my other thread. =)