Little Red Rooster

first O/U purchase question

I'm looking for advice on a first O/U purchase. My use for the gun is going to be sporting clays, skeet, etc. I have looked all over the forum, and while I found a few threads that mentioned some info, it hasn't helped me really figure out what to do.

This will be the first shotgun that I own myself. I have been fortunate enough to shoot many different Brownings, Berettas, and Winchesters (all o/u) that my friends have (this is how I learned and got addicted to clay shooting). Those are all amazing guns - unfortunately I can't afford one of them right now.

Basically I want this in my gun: 12ga, O/U, single trigger, reliability and quality

As I said, I am on a restrictive budget so it has to be below $1000. Ideally, I'd love to find a great quality gun for $6-700 - but I know that's close to unheard of in quality O/U's...

I have looked online and seen (o/u's) Cabela's Savage Arms 12ga, some of the CZ ones, Mossberg Silver Reserve, etc.

I am looking for suggestions on a specific model or if anyone has had good or bad experiences with the ones i've listed above. Everyone's optinions are very much appreciated - thank you.

Someone with more knowledge will step in, but when I reasearched O/U's for myself, most of what I read was that any sub 1k O/U will probably not last. Now, I can't say this as fact as I don't have experience with any other than my Browning Centauri (12-$1,400 if i remember correctly.)

I did buy a Stoeger semi-auto that has been flawless, I know they make a sub 1k O/U. maybe check into them..

And I am totally open to buying used ones in good condition - but I haven't really seen any Citoris or any higher quality guns that are selling for below $1,000.

From your initial suggestion and my hesitation to buy a gun of questionable quality, maybe I just need to wait till I can spend like 1200. I certainly don't want to get something that's going to break down in a couple years just to save a few hundred, but if I can find a quality one for my range, why not pick it up...

What kind of shotgun sports do you intend to do with the gun? As you know, an O/U out of the box will beat your shoulder up after a few boxes. I have an awesome recoil reduction system on my O/U, but that alone is what you want to pay for a gun.

You can find O/U's new for less than $1000, I wouldn't bet on putting 50K shells through them without an issue, but they may be just fine for you for quite sometime. I will try to get the name of the guns I saw at a local club, I was really suprised at the cost.

There is another fellow I shoot with that has an O/U made in Turkey which has been a really good gun for him. This guy can shoot anything you put in his hands though so he tends to shoot a lot of different guns. He is actually looking at buying the new Beretta 400 semi-auto that another one of my friends just bought. I would highly recommend that gun to anyone as long as a semi-auto is allowed, can't feel any recoil from it, simply amazing.

I have a CZ Mallard, that I picked up for $525 at Davis Sport Shop in NY. I work close to there so I stopped at lunch one day. I have 750 rounds through it, not one FTF.

I love it, it's a double trigger, which I didn't like at first, but now I'm ok with. I dont think you can go wrong with CZ. They are built pretty good.

I use Trulock extended choke tubes, the Beretta/Benelli threads, but it did come with a complete set of standard in the barrel chokes.

Download the CDNN catalog and look at the Lanber deluxe sporting. The top of the line with tiny receiver blemishes in around $700. There guns seem to be nearly universally praised on Shotgunworld.com and elsewhere.

Just as an FYI, the current CZ line of shotguns (excepting the BRNO models) are all Turkish made, not Czech built. That shouldn't stop anyone from buying a quality product, but I am just throwing it out there.

Do yourself a favor and save up for a good gun. You will be better off buying one for 2K than buying one for 1,000 AND a second one for 2k within a year. Go to Griffin & Howe in Bedminster on Saturday, well worth the ride. I bought a $2,000 Rizzini (tagged @ $1,800) clay gun for $1300 + tax. If nothing else, it is like being in a gun museum.

I know Griffin and Howe as I grew up a few miles away from there and have been in there a few times. Awesome store, but on the more expensive side with their firearms. I will stop in and take a look and see if they have anything like you found. I just figured it wasn't worth tempting myself bc everything I've seen there before is so nice, but pricey. Thanks

So I seem to have found a Browning Model 27 Field O/U 12 Gauge with a asking price of $999 (apparently used to be at $1500). It says metal, wood and bore are "as new". It has SST trigger, 28" barrel, modified/full choke.

-Does anyone have any first hand experience with this model? (I can't find too much info on it and only really used the citori and cynergy before).

-Is it good for my sole purpose of clay shooting?

- Is this a fair price?

-Any helpful information??

Thank you!!