Sign in to follow this  
nj22

Cheap 870 18.5 barrel--ideas?

I was thinking about adding a short barrel for fun at the range. I know I can find them new from Mossberg for around $100 and change. Do you guys ever run into them used? For the number of mods people do to their HD shotguns it seems like there should be a whole market of cheap, used short barrels. Is that the case?

Hack saw, guy at work used a pipe cutter, perfectly straight, and percise. Got one of those do it yourself bluing kits, it looks nice. He also was able mark the barrel dead center to drill and thread a barrel for a front bead. As long as the 870 barrel wasn't ribbed u should.be able to.do the same thing with an awl, pipe cutter, tap set, and a drill press, unless Ur really.good with a hand drill.

Hack saw, guy at work used a pipe cutter, perfectly straight, and percise. Got one of those do it yourself bluing kits, it looks nice. He also was able mark the barrel dead center to drill and thread a barrel for a front bead. As long as the 870 barrel wasn't ribbed u should.be able to.do the same thing with an awl, pipe cutter, tap set, and a drill press, unless Ur really.good with a hand drill.

Chris - I really like the hacksaw, square and file method. The pipe cutter crimps the end at times and I don't want that kind of choke...LOL

As tempting as all this is, I think it would be cost prohibitive. Not only would I have to buy the tools, but also like 3 barrels to screw up while I practice.

I think the most difficult part of it is making sure to cut the barrel evenly. It's ridiculously easy to hack it at even the slightest bit of an angle.

I think the most difficult part of it is making sure to cut the barrel evenly. It's ridiculously easy to hack it at even the slightest bit of an angle.

It's not really difficult. Just start a little longer in case you have to recut... :aikido:

Chris - I really like the hacksaw, square and file method. The pipe cutter crimps the end at times and I don't want that kind of choke...LOL

Pipe cutter all the way, then file down the inside. It looks clean, it's straight, and it's unnoticeable.

Pipe cutter all the way, then file down the inside. It looks clean, it's straight, and it's unnoticeable.

Also thinking about it your less likely actually almost its damn near impossible to cut on an angle with the pipe cutter and its a cheap tool 10 bucks at lowes