Pulled the trigger on my last target of a stage today and saw a funky flash, but no boom. I didn't bother to re-load, just took the miss. Unloaded the gun (revolver) and looked at that round and didn't know what the heck I was looking-at. Some guys on the squad came-over to see what happened, the primer was loaded sideways...........Bullet still on the brass, would assume the powder is still in there too.

Didn't know you could do that. This is reloaded ammo I bought via the internet and have used about 600 rounds of it so far. I'll look at the rest before I use it.

Pulled the trigger on my last target of a stage today and saw a funky flash, but no boom. I didn't bother to re-load, just took the miss. Unloaded the gun (revolver) and looked at that round and didn't know what the heck I was looking-at. Some guys on the squad came-over to see what happened, the primer was loaded sideways...........Bullet still on the brass, would assume the powder is still in there too.

Didn't know you could do that. This is reloaded ammo I bought via the internet and have used about 600 rounds of it so far. I'll look at the rest before I use it.

Sideways?!

I was wondering what happened.

Seems like that would have been really noticeable though.

Mike are you sure it was in sideways and not up-side-down?

If it was in sideways, I am having a hard time figuring out how the cylinder cleared the rear of the frame as it rotated in.

I get sideways primers every now and then hand loading. It happens, when the primer cup catches the edge of the primer and slightly flips it. I'd say I get one every couple of thousands of rounds, but I hand box my ammo, primer up, so they never make it out of my reloading room.

Its surprising how much pressure, bending, mangling, etc primers can actually take without going off. You need the focused small pressure point of a firing pin to make them go off. Or a hammer, I suppose.

I still have the bullet loaded in the moonclip, I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow.

Yeah Nick, you had no idea what I was doing. I stood-up, popped the moonclip out to look at the brass and to my suprise the bullet was still there! I knew something was wrong, just didn't know what happened, thought I had a squib, but the bullet was still on the case.

Wasn't upside down, it was turned sideways. Made a cool little flash when it went-off! LMAO.......

I have loaded primers in sideways and backwards in rounds before, of course they never got a projectile because I check mine. The primer mechanism especially on the lee presses do get hick ups from time to time. Commercial reloading happens in a similar fashion to how it does on consumer level this must have been missed in QC.

Like stated by someone else you would be surprised the punishment primers can take without blowing, alot of it has to do with the fact a primer works off of percussion not pressure. I remove live primers I put in backwards in my press,the key is to just put pressure slowly.

With factory ammo this usually this would be caught prior to being shipped out but we all know how QC go's at times.

As was said, reloading your own you will get the 1 per 1K but most people catch that before it leaves the house or sees it when loading Mag's or moon-clips/speed-loaders. Either way, you got a cool flash, and have a story and nothing else but a MIKE (haha see how I worked that in)

Im not sure I'd be cool with buying reloaded ammo over the internet, or at all for that matter.

OP I'm assuming you bought it from a "business" online rather than a private ftf sale?

There are plenty of really good companies that sell reloaded ammo, and a few that load to Power-Factor also and I have used them prior to reloading my own ammo now and noting but good things to say about them.

Now buying from some guy who does it out of his house, well that I would not consider doing.

There are plenty of really good companies that sell reloaded ammo, and a few that load to Power-Factor also and I have used them prior to reloading my own ammo now and noting but good things to say about them.

Care to share them? Id be interested to see the pricing if they are indeed as reliable as factory ammo.

Care to share them? Id be interested to see the pricing if they are indeed as reliable as factory ammo.

Here is a good one.. Also if you go to the USPSA website, I think there is link for others that supply USPSA match ammo.

Atlanta Arms and Ammo

I bought 1000 rounds of minor-loaded .40 from TheBulletWorks.Net. I plan on buying another 1000 to last me until I reload my own stuff. Very pleasant round to shoot, this was the first issue I had with them. I know for sure I will screw-up far more reloading than these people will!

Sideways_Primer.jpg

There is the primer, best shot I could do.

Nice pun Harry, I would still like to know why a miss is called a MIKE.................... Though I certainly live-up to my name! :)

Okay, now I find that funny. When I call-in parts over the phone and there are letters in the part number I use whatever pops-up in mind my first, and it sure isn't on that list!

When I say "M" I tell them MONEY, not Mike. They always laugh at the words I use, but I keep it clean. ;)

I bought 1000 rounds of minor-loaded .40 from TheBulletWorks.Net. I plan on buying another 1000 to last me until I reload my own stuff. Very pleasant round to shoot, this was the first issue I had with them. I know for sure I will screw-up far more reloading than these people will!

Sideways_Primer.jpg

There is the primer, best shot I could do.

Nice pun Harry, I would still like to know why a miss is called a MIKE.................... Though I certainly live-up to my name! :)

M in the phonetic alphabet is known as Mike.

Also you will hear around our club, a miss being called something else, that would be the last name of another Mike who is a member of the club.

Sideways primers, backwards primer, no primer, no primer no flash hole, wrinkled brass, shotshell without shot, bullet loaded backwards, and others are some of the faults of factory ammo I've seen. Most people fail to inspect their ammo. I usually check my carry ammo to the point of ensuring it chambers in the barrel for a semi auto and fits in the cylinder for a revolver.

M in the phonetic alphabet is known as Mike.

Also you will hear around our club, a miss being called something else, that would be the last name of another Mike who is a member of the club.

a missed target in the service was yelled out as "MAGGIE'S DRAWERS"