keithco88

GFH Urban Pistol 1 Review

Review of the GFH Urban Pistol 1 class I took last weekend.

Location: Cedar Grove, NJ. Indoor 14 port, 25 yrd range with an annoying, but manageable, whistling problem in the ventilation system. Rating of location: C

Size: 3 students, 1 instructor. Rating of class size: A

Instructor: I'm terrible with names so sorry about that. He served a tour in Afganistan and is currently a leader of a local SWAT unit in the Essex county area, serving I believe on sniper detail. I found him to be very informative & down to earth while not at all condescending when people asked questions or needed instruction. Rating of instructor: A

Class Content: I'd rate this as closer to an intermediate class than a beginner class, which is what I felt I needed. We started with simple dot drills at 3,5,7 yards drawing from holster, scanning & reholstering after each string. We then went to turning & shooting, shooting on the move (forwards & backwards), running then shooting (how to carry your weapon while running, reassuming fighting stance, acquiring target, etc), and shooting from cover. The "theory" portions were focused around effective stance, how to move, and the various "ready" positions (from memory: low ready, high ready, position sul, something in close to the chest that I forget the name of, and something nautical sounding that is carrying the gun up @ 45 degrees. forgive me i'm on meds after a bout with some gross flu so my memory is off). The instructor also emphasized the importance of trying to use the method of aiming with both eyes open as an advantage for how you're actually likely to see things in a gun battle so I tried that with mixed results but will continue on the range. Because of the small class size he was also able to pick out and try to remove "bad range habits" such as expecting the mag to free-fall on release and not reloading in the "workstation". Rating of course content: A

Summary: this was my second GFH class (took Urban Shotgun 1 with quite a few other forum members 2 weeks back) and I will say that I'll be back for more. While Anthony's classes are more expensive than his competitors I believe the practical experience, courtesy, and professionalism his instructors bring to the table differentiate his service. I will say that some of the more advanced classes could use an upgrade in facilities to really get the most out of them though...and I hate their website because the "courses" and "calendar" section never align, plus the "syllabus" hasn't really been covered totally in either of the classes I've attended.

About me...because my words above don't mean much if you don't know where I'm coming from. I've owned firearms for a little over a year and have taken 4 total classes, 3 of them pistol classes. I use a Walther PPQ for my bedside gun. My previous pistol classes were both taken with Heritage Guild in Easton with Matt Vollers as the instructor and they were the NRA Basic Pistol and Heritage Defensive Pistol. Both classes were 8 hours long and included a lengthy (5 and 3 hours respectively) classroom portion with the remainder being range time & lunch break. The ratio at these two classes was ~8:1 students:instructor. Both Heritage classes were priced at about the same amount as what GFH charges, but the Heritage classes run for 8 hours. I would rate my Heritage Defensive Pistol class overall as a B. I currently compete in IDPA (poorly) and am expanding my firearms collection with my first AR once Stag gets their shipment of STAR C rails in from Samson and ships out my upper.

Keithco, nice review. I took that class just about a year ago. I had only been shooting for a few months at the time, and my only prior training had been an hour or so with a police instructor, so I felt somewhat overwhelmed. I subsequently took the class again a couple of months later and felt much more comfortable. Since then, I have worked my way through UP2, and then UP3 just a few weeks ago. I feel that the difference in my knowledge and comfort level with handguns from a year ago is incredible.

The instructor whose name you were trying to remember is Joe. Not only is he extremely experienced and knowledgeable, but he has a nice style of presentation and sprinkles in a number of amusing anecdotes. Having taken several classes with him, I can tell you that his repertoire as always fresh, and not the same old stories over and over. He usually works with Chuck, who also brings a good deal of first-hand experience, while being a truly good guy and patient instructor as well.

As you note, the quality of the GFH facilities can vary. I think the Cedar Grove location is solid and utilitarian, and I have no problem with it. Plus, it's only about 20 minutes from me, so I might be a bit biased. The Livingston range is great on a nice day, but since it's outdoors, you're at the mercy of the weather. The one class I took there was on a gorgeous day, but I could picture it being a lot less fun if it were really hot or cold, or if there were a steady, cold rain falling.

"While Anthony's classes are more expensive than his competitors I believe the practical experience, courtesy, and professionalism his instructors bring to the table differentiate his service."

I think you are on the money with that comment (so to speak). One could pay less for training than what GFH charges, but the fact that Anthony's school is thriving indicates that people perceive they are getting good value for what they pay. I, for one, would concur.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but how many rounds did you go thru in the class? I am looking to take a class with Anthony or one of his guys and would like to know how stocked up I should be.

C

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but how many rounds did you go thru in the class? I am looking to take a class with Anthony or one of his guys and would like to know how stocked up I should be.

C

I am going to the UP1, UC1 in early December and asked the same question. TheWombat chimed in on that thread here: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41340-urban-carbine-1-and-urban-pistol-1-dec-9/page__view__findpost__p__547166

I just went looking and can't find a citation for that. Could be lurking somewhere though...

Best to email Anthony or PM the GFH team if unsure. I've only shot factory ammo so not sure.

As per other thread - I typically would recommend to take 100-200 rounds extra on top of what the GFH website states. In the past the instructors have said to load 30 rounds per shooting set, however this caused confusion with some students depending on whether they had 7,8,10,15 round magazines etc. So if you have 3 x 15 round magazines you could find yourself shooting a few extra rounds compared to earlier UP classes.

I'm still looking to make it to UP1, but will be shooting weak handed this time around. Will see nearer the time.

TheWombat

Can I bring my own firearm to the course?

Yes. All students are encouraged to bring their own firearms to the course as well as factory ammo to shoot during the live fire portion. Be sure to transport your firearm in accordance to NJ State law. For a full set of NJ Transportation Laws click here. Email or call with any questions

C

Can I bring my own firearm to the course?

Yes. All students are encouraged to bring their own firearms to the course as well as factory ammo to shoot during the live fire portion. Be sure to transport your firearm in accordance to NJ State law. For a full set of NJ Transportation Laws click here. Email or call with any questions

C

Shoot. I never read that part of the sentence when I was scanning through. Good eyes man. GFH might want to split that out... Although those people shooting reloads likely have more experience with shooting and could handle it.

You gave to take the Level 1 pistol course.

How much do you learn from the level 1 course? From reading, it seems I'm probably in between the two skill level. I mean I know the range rules. What side is the business end. And stuff like that. But could use shooting fundamental (grip/stance) help. I've completed 1 idpa event as well.

How much do you learn from the level 1 course? From reading, it seems I'm probably in between the two skill level. I mean I know the range rules. What side is the business end. And stuff like that. But could use shooting fundamental (grip/stance) help. I've completed 1 idpa event as well.

I just completed the course this weekend - Based on the skills that we drilled on, I would recommend having a good comfort level with the following skills:

1. Drawing from holster and re-holstering safely and under stress
  2. Reloading in the workspace
  3. Clearing various types of malfunctions (FTF, FTE, Double Feed)
  4. Moving/Running with your weapon

It was an amazing class that has improved my comfort level with my firearm and with working around others. If you want more opinions, shoot me a PM.