Sweet Chaos

Looking for a shop with decent prices AND good service!

I want to start looking around for a gun so when I can finally buy one (I get that that's quite a few months away) I know exactly what I want and where I want to get it from. I want a handgun. I'm probably going 9mm but I'm not going to say that for sure until I've shot a .45. But for argument's sake, a 9mm. I understand the whole "you get what you pay for" deal, but I am super tight on money right now so I need a shop that is going to have a good balance of price to ...everything else: quality, customer service, etc. As a new shooter, I need a shop that will be patient with me and will help me narrow down the gun that's perfect for me. Also, I'm not sure if this is standard in the field, but I know Brick Armory will allow me to PURCHASE my gun before my permit is in, as long as I have proof that I submitted it. I just can't take the gun home until I get my permit. I like this option because I can go in and shoot MY GUN, that no one else will be shooting and I can get to know it before the long wait for my permit.

Also, I'm in Toms River (central shore area). I'd be willing to travel a little bit for a shop that's really good, but no more than about an hour.

Thanks so much!

Lots of good choices out there, but being you still don't have a P2P in hand, I would recommend reading some of the threads with similar topics and get out and shoot as many before you decide what to get. Also what do you wish to do whit the gun, plinking, gun games etc; are other questions you should answer to yourself before making a final decision.

Lol shops NOT to use would be useful, too =p

I plan on shooting a lot before I decide what to get. I loved the Glock 17 I shot, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run out and get it without trying anything else. That's no so much my worry right now. I'm trying to figure out WHERE to go. Not what to get.

I recommend you test fire as many handguns you can before you buy one. Certain ranges rent handguns for range use. Also if you have friends with handguns then they are a good source to try different makes and models out.

Not sure of any good gun shops. I usually try to get my stuff used but not abused.

Lol shops NOT to use would be useful, too =p

I plan on shooting a lot before I decide what to get. I loved the Glock 17 I shot, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run out and get it without trying anything else. That's no so much my worry right now. I'm trying to figure out WHERE to go. Not what to get.

Paul at A-n-a, though he is a bit of a hike for you.

If you liked the glock 17 take a look at the m&p series. Very similar to glocks except the people that designed them actually have hands like normal people.

Jim Flynn's place in Glen Gardner would also be a good place to stop. I would avoid the SB in Rockaway.

I've been very happy with Ron up at Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey on Rt. 17. I've bought two guns from him recently. He's been able to get me the lowest prices. Both guns were special order pieces too. I'll likely go back to him for the next few things I have my sights on.

There's nothing wrong with meeting up with willing forum members at SS or BA and putting some rounds down the pipe with them, as well as renting out the options that the range offers. There are plenty of quality firearms with a reasonable price tag, narrowing down to one is that hardest for some. There are a lot of places that will tend to treat you like less of a customer without a p2p in hand and ready to buy. You cannot go wrong with the supporting vendors located towards the bottom of the forum thread section. You can also learn a lot from just reading some of the feedback from ranges and shops in this section. Places locally have their strengths and weaknesses.

for the budget minded other than buying used, Glock, S&W M&P, CZ come to mind for quality handguns on a modest budget.