I'd like to build target stands so I can build stages and practice USPSA at my range and was looking for ideas on target stands.

I don't weld and would prefer not to have them made from metal anyway, due to the weight.

Was thinking of a 2 x 2 piece of plywood with a flange, a male threaded adapter and a section of pipe. Slip the furring strip into the pipe and call it a day. Easy to transport and not to heavy, or expensive.

Anyone done anything like this and willing to share their idea?

Thanks Harry. Seems like you and me had the same idea, huh.

I saw some of the threads on Eno's forum.

After seeing the PVC setups I'm pretty sure my plywood base isn't going to be light enough.

I'll check out material cost on PVC and then weight the option of the aluminum ones on Eno's site. I think they were 20 or 30 bucks plus shipping.

I bought the steel folding ones on Eno's site from Seth. Great guy to work with and they aren't very heavy, but the steel gives them enough weight to be stable. Here's my post on them. I store all four, plus stakes, a hammer and large binder clips (for holding the targets to the wood) in a toolbox. I can't rave about the convenience of these stands enough.

Actually I really like the way I made mine, but after going up to shoot a few matches at Shongum and seeing theirs, I would have made mine like theirs. They used 4 90's to make the rectangle and 2 T's for the uprights. They work well and are about the cheapest option I have seen over others who have made their own.

Here is a video of a match at Shongum, don't know who the shooter is but it's one that you can at least see what the stands look.

I made a target stand like the one in the following link, but with slightly smaller dimensions more convenient for putting in my trunk. And, I use one of those folding chair bags to carry all the pieces to the range in over my shoulder. I used two more 3' sections and four more right angle pieces to make my base into the form of a rectangle. It adds a little more weight and makes it a little sturdier. I have not damaged one of the PVC pieces, yet, but I bring duct tape to temporarily repair a section if it was to get his, especially when I take others with me. I also bring a 2'x3' piece of cardboard with me to attach at the range.

http://www.alpharubi.../pvctstandc.htm

Here is my stand I made. I put lengths of rebar in the base to make sure it absolutely can't tip over. post-3803-133929355948_thumb.jpg

What size PVC and what size wood pieces do you use?

What size PVC and what size wood pieces do you use?
I used 2" PVC for the base, the t connectors are 2x2x1 1/2. I put furring strips in it, 72 inches tall, I believe they are 1x1 1/2I'd have to recheck the wood size tomorrow, I just walked around lowes shoving pieces of wood into a 1 1/2" PVC pipe haha

I've been meaning to get back and reply to my thread.

I fashioned some VERY inexpensive target stands. I'm half Scottish...I can't help myself.

Take a section of EMT (conduit) and cut into 6" sections. Bonus fun because I got to use my sawzall.

Attach said piece of EMT to the bottom of a one by furring strip with a 1 1/2 hose clamp.

Repeat to make as many pairs as you deem necessary. I made 10 pieces for 5 stands.

To use simply drive a 12" section of rebar (or gutter nail) half way into the ground, vertically, like a stake.

Insert emt/furring strip into/over rebar and viola (waved hands for emphasis) 1/2 of a target stand.

Happy shooting....