Scott204

LEO question on HR 218

Ok so don't kill me on this question. I am going to California in September on a vacation. I am currently a full time LEO. Can I bring my off duty weapon with me under HR218?? I am pretty sure I can but want to be sure and was hoping to get some answers from other LEO'S on here. I am also going to Yosemeiti national park. I just want to know its ok because I have not read HR 218 myself. I know its my fault for not doing that but any help is appreciated.

"The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons—the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired law enforcement officer" -- to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of any state or local law"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

You can carry anywhere in the US with some restrictions. You must have a photo ID issued by your agency. This is why you must read the Federal law and CA state law. There are some gray areas and it is best to treat these as prohibitions rather than get in trobule. For CA in summary you must abide by:

1. Can carry hollowpoints.

2. Restrict magazine capacity to no more than 10 rds.

3. Carry in national and state parks but in naional parks you can't carry in buildings where Park Service employees do business.

4. No carry in places that primarily serve alcohol as their primary business.

5. No drinking alcohol anywhere when carrying (leave the gun in the car if you do a winetasting).

6. No carry in Federal buildings,state courthouses, schools, or demonstration.

7. Carry a copy of your qualification record not over a year old for the "type" of gun you are carrying. This is something usually overlooked but is a requirement under LEOSA.

This isn't everything so you must read both laws.

Might sound complicated but it isn't. PM me with any question you think I can help with.

What qualifies for a building that a Park Service employee conducts business I wonder? Is an outhouse considered one of those facilities? Not just dropping a deuce, but a plumber for example. IIRC, when I was in Yellowstone, there were privately run / rented gift / food stores on the land, would they be part of the exemption if it was Yosemite?

Like NJ, they like to be overly complicated.