Nick T

Saiga .223 in Stock?

I was at The Bullethole in Belleville few days ago, and the guy mentioned they had a few saigas. I'd call to check availaibtiy and price before taking the drive there.

Don't forget 5.45 Saiga! It's different than 5.56 that is not a typo. It takes absurdly cheap Russian surplus ammo, you can buy it by the 1,080 can at 14 cents per round. And now they make 10rd magazines so the problem with finding magazines for it is gone.

I wouldn't object to a 5.45 if it was readily available close to my house but I'm not gonna go drive looking for it, plus they make 15 rounders for the .223 rifle.

I get periodic email blast from centerfire because a fellow NJGF member recommended them to me last year and I ordered a S223 from them. Last week centerfire did have them in stock, on or about 6/16 the site posted 18 in stock. Centerfire looks to be taking backorders so if you are in no hurry you might want to entertain the thought of locking-in at that price. With a $35 FFL fee and $18 for NICS you’d be looking at $432 out the door but if you want to pay more locally that’s your call.

I have two Saiga 223’s otherwise I would have ordered another .223 because I like it that much. Keep in mind you could shoot 223 and 5.56 with the S223 so I consider that a big advantage. There is sometimes a debate about other 223 carbines like the Mini 14 as to if you could shoot 5.56 but I’m confident that the S223 can do 5.56. (OT and for the record Ruger did advised me only the target model Mini14 is restricted to 223)

Also since being a member here I discovered via vladtepes that some guys mod the S223 to adapt AR mags so that’s another option to think about. I haven’t done the mag mod because I’m still on the fence about milling out the receiver. I looked into a little further and found there are two types of adapters, the MSA and the Renegade Buck adapter. Each have their pros and cons. If I opt for the mod I’ll save that for a Fall/Winter project. I have no interest 5.45. I’m sure it’s fun to shoot but to me it is an odd ball round that I don’t need, if anything I’d like to get a second 7.62.

Good luck with your decision and purchase, as long as your happy with your decision that is all that matters.

Also since being a member here I discovered via vladtepes that some guys mod the S223 to adapt AR mags so that’s another option to think about. I haven’t done the mag mod because I’m still on the fence about milling out the receiver. I looked into a little further and found there are two types of adapters, the MSA and the Renegade Buck adapter. Each have their pros and cons. If I opt for the mod I’ll save that for a Fall/Winter project. I have no interest 5.45. I’m sure it’s fun to shoot but to me it is an odd ball round that I don’t need, if anything I’d like to get a second 7.62.

Good luck with your decision and purchase, as long as your happy with your decision that is all that matters.

funny you should bring that up.. I just ordered the MSA adapter from Nathan...

you have to cut the shit out of the Saiga to make it fit.. hopefully it is worth it..

everyone who has one has given it great reviews..

funny you should bring that up.. I just ordered the MSA adapter from Nathan...

you have to cut the shit out of the Saiga to make it fit.. hopefully it is worth it..

everyone who has one has given it great reviews..

And on the flip side the Renegade Buck doesn’t require that much milling but some mags have been reported to drop out and IMO the RB does not look as elegant as the MSA. For those that haven’t looked into these the excess milling on the MSA is concern to with regards to structure of the receiver. Some claim over time with the milled receiver that will allow cracks to develop. Others will argue if done correctly there is no problem. That’s why I didn’t jump right into this one…

And on the flip side the Renegade Buck doesn’t require that much milling but some mags have been reported to drop out and IMO the RB does not look as elegant as the MSA. For those that haven’t looked into these the excess milling on the MSA is concern to with regards to structure of the receiver. Some claim over time with the milled receiver that will allow cracks to develop. Others will argue if done correctly there is no problem. That’s why I didn’t jump right into this one…

I thought about it for a long time.. and I honestly believe it will not impact the reliability of the weapon..

there are guys who have put a ton of ammo through them without incident..

an AK that allows for AR mags seems worth the trade off..