MarkP

Gloves for the range?

IMO, do whatever makes your day more enjoyable. I've gone both ways. I wear them if my wrist bothers me, and I want a little cushion and easier grip. I try not to be dependent on them as most situations when SHTF, you're not gonna have time to slap on some gloves unless you wear gloves on a regular basis.

I like the fingerless hobo-style gloves myself, if only because I don't like sweat getting all over my stuff if I'm shooting a lot. It doesn't really matter what you wear to the range. If people want to criticize you, tell them to deal with it. Hell, show up with an AR with my little pony furniture on it if you want. If someone doesn't like it, tell them to suck it. ...Not that I'd reccommend getting one of those. Hell, I'd probably laugh. :laugh: :laugh:

Damn funny thread.

Funny to stumble on this now - was at Cherry Hill on the 4th and had a hard time because it was 93° and my hands were sweaty. Was tough to keep a good grip.

I don't think I'd like to wear gloves on sweltering hot days, but are there grips available to counteract some of that slip factor on hot days?

Damn funny thread.

Funny to stumble on this now - was at Cherry Hill on the 4th and had a hard time because it was 93° and my hands were sweaty. Was tough to keep a good grip.

I don't think I'd like to wear gloves on sweltering hot days, but are there grips available to counteract some of that slip factor on hot days?

There are companies that make grip-tape type grips for the plastic fantastics, and for the guns with removable grips, you can get rough textured designs that really dig into your hand.

Lowes has some $10 mechanic gloves that are thin and have great tacky rubber palms. I love these for pistol work. Cheap and functional. not fancy, pretty, or brand name - however neither am I. What works - works. No different than the Pachmayr slip on grip material for pistols. Do what works for you, not what everyone else thinks. Kinda like the skateboard grip tape people put on their guns - could be looked at as excessive, but it works.

mylittleponycarbine.jpg

Where can I get a gun like that!! I want one lol.

What kind of range do you go to? I go to an indoor range for now and haven't had a need for gloves yet. Because its an indoor range I do sweat a lot but I just either wipe it on my pants or I always have a towel in my back pocket to wipe myself off with. I would say try that for now. It's cheap to do it that way. I've shot for a few hours and haven't had any problems with my hands yet. So I don't see a need for gloves yet. But if that's something you would like then go for it. Hell if you wanted to go to the range in a clown suit I'd say go for it. It would serve as entertainment to me as my friends take their turns shooting. Lol.

Have fun and be safe though.

Callouses from shooting? what the hell are you shooting?

If your hands get wet just wipe em on your pants like guys are supposed to!

Heh, no calluses means you aren't dry firing enough. When I practice as much as I should I get a real nice callous from my trigger guard where it rubs a little with a high grip. Also a bit of a callous ridge where the pad of my trigger finger gets folded against the first joint. Depending on the gun, I may also get a bit of a callous on the web of my hand, it depends on the gun, if it has a beaver tail, and how the beaver tail is designed.

As for gloves, I use them if it is cold, I also use a glove on my off hand for shotgun if I'm going to flip it to reload. Rapid fire = hot barrel = you need a glove for that technique.

If shooting an all day event with an ar in the sun where your gun isn't cased most of the time, a glove for the off hand can be a desirable thing if you have a black aluminum handguard.