MarkP

Gloves for the range?

Well , I'm a girl with girly hands..and I say only wear gloves when it is freezing out ;)

I have not developed any callouses from shooting ??? I use to get hammer bit by my revolver when I shot Magnums out of it..once I stopped going through 5 band aids per range trip I knew I learned not to limp wrist the higher recoil. Pain penalties can be useful sometimes lol

Where do your hands hurt when you shoot?

As far as the sweat , IMO learn to shoot with your sweaty hands if you plan to use a firearm to defend your life at home should the situation arise. If your hands have a propensity to sweat , sweat they will if someone busts into your home . You would not want to be fooling with gloves if time was of the essence IMO . And MO is a novice one admittedly.. but hope it offers some perspective regardless :)

i'm a new shooter so my fingers are still girly (no callouses yet), does wearing gloves make you look like a douche?

What exactly are you hurting. Maybe you need to show someone your grip. Maybe if you get your grip squared away your finges wont hurt. If it is from recoil get some lighter loads

So what you guys are saying is, if i want to wear like a mechanix type glove, i might as well dress up as a SWAT officer, because you'll all think i'm a huge tacticool douchebag.. and btw, gloves would be worn for long sessions. not just to fire off a couple rounds.

Unfortunately that is pretty much the consensus it seems. I have seen some folks using the same Mechanix gloves at the shooting range while using ARs/AK clones and they have always seemed a bit off but....REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE ALWAYS SHOOTING FOR YOURSELF AND NOT TO WIN A STYLE CONTEST. I cannot stress this enough!!! On one of my break-in sessions I fired off 500 rounds of some +P 9mm JHPs (I know I know, not "that" impressive) and my thumb has a permanent scar (was a blister for the longest time) now. Now, it isnt a big deal since I have played hockey for around 15 years at this point and have plenty of scars but it seems like it was for nothing. If you want glove wear them, if the heat / blisters are not bothering you much , ignore them.

Bro, who cares what anyone thinks. The range isn't a fashion show, or a place to try and impress others. If you want to wear gloves, wear gloves. Anyone who is busy worrying about what your wearing, needs to focus a little more on their sight picture, and a little less on what other shooters are wearing for their leisure time activities...Long shooting sessions in the summer heat means hot guns, some more so then others...any of the naysayers ever run an extended session with a HK P7...my M13 get's plenty hot in short order; so do some of my long arms.

Trying to look cool while manipulating hot weapons is just asking for a safety violation. If gloves forgo that for you, and aren't strictly prohibited by the range or course, Do you, and Run that...Ever wonder why so many folks have chewed up digits after a shooting school? Because they never wore gloves, and pulling a trigger a thousand times, loading twenty or more magazines worth of ammo with physically fatigued hands, and a mentally fatigued brain, means accidents can happen, like blisters, cuts, scrapes and burns from the aforementioned hot weapons, range debris and the various roughly cut and poorly finished supports some programs use for barricades and the like.

I've burned the hell out of myself more then a few times firing semiautos in different and sometimes awkward positions. If the brass is hot enough to burn my neck/back/chest/arm/face, guess what it does to the fingers I use to rip it off of my burned flesh. There was that time I was trying to do some fast firing with a NAA Minimag in .22 Mag. If you let your support thumb creep to close to the cylinder gap, you'll get a really nasty little burn, and gun powder imbedded in your flesh for quite a long time. Don't ask me how I know...Third degree burns over the full palm of my right hand reminded me that the old spare barrel I had for my recently issued M60E3, which we were using for the impromptu shooting match for the first time, didn't have that handy little carry handle to swap it out when the barrel got hot like my primary. Really wish I was wearing a pair of gloves(the asbestos glove in the bag would have been better still) then...

I don't wear gloves all the time when I shoot, but I do at times, particularly for extended sessions, and as the weather starts to change and I want to get back into my groove for cold weather manipulation. When I do, I could give a damn what anyone else thinks of it. Work smarter, not harder...

Bro, who cares what anyone thinks. The range isn't a fashion show, or a place to try and impress others. If you want to wear gloves, wear gloves. Anyone who is busy worrying about what your wearing, needs to focus a little more on their sight picture, and a little less on what other shooters are wearing for their leisure time activities...Long shooting sessions in the summer heat means hot guns, some more so then others...any of the naysayers ever run an extended session with a HK P7...my M13 get's plenty hot in short order; so do some of my long arms.

Trying to look cool while manipulating hot weapons is just asking for a safety violation. If gloves forgo that for you, and aren't strictly prohibited by the range or course, Do you, and Run that...Ever wonder why so many folks have chewed up digits after a shooting school? Because they never wore gloves, and pulling a trigger a thousand times, loading twenty or more magazines worth of ammo with physically fatigued hands, and a mentally fatigued brain, means accidents can happen, like blisters, cuts, scrapes and burns from the aforementioned hot weapons, range debris and the various roughly cut and poorly finished supports some programs use for barricades and the like.

I've burned the hell out of myself more then a few times firing semiautos in different and sometimes awkward positions. If the brass is hot enough to burn my neck/back/chest/arm/face, guess what it does to the fingers I use to rip it off of my burned flesh. There was that time I was trying to do some fast firing with a NAA Minimag in .22 Mag. If you let your support thumb creep to close to the cylinder gap, you'll get a really nasty little burn, and gun powder imbedded in your flesh for quite a long time. Don't ask me how I know...Third degree burns over the full palm of my right hand reminded me that the old spare barrel I had for my recently issued M60E3, which we were using for the impromptu shooting match for the first time, didn't have that handy little carry handle to swap it out when the barrel got hot like my primary. Really wish I was wearing a pair of gloves(the asbestos glove in the bag would have been better still) then...

I don't wear gloves all the time when I shoot, but I do at times, particularly for extended sessions, and as the weather starts to change and I want to get back into my groove for cold weather manipulation. When I do, I could give a damn what anyone else thinks of it. Work smarter, not harder...

thumbs_up.jpg

I've never worn gloves but the webbing of my hand does get a little tender after a long session with my colt. I think its more the grips than anything. I wouldn't spring for them during a regular handgun session but if you were taking a defensive carbine or defensive pistol class it may be something to think about. Even then I would only stick to the original mechanix gloves.

Just remember, if you decide to use gloves while your training, will you ever plan to use gloves while using your weapon? You don't want to feel unfamiliar with your weapon if you have to use it spur of the moment.

So what you guys are saying is, if i want to wear like a mechanix type glove, i might as well dress up as a SWAT officer, because you'll all think i'm a huge tacticool douchebag.. and btw, gloves would be worn for long sessions. not just to fire off a couple rounds.

I could care less if you wear gloves, or not. Shooting isn't a fashion show.

If you show-up to a range I'm shooting at and can pump your rounds safely and effectively, I wouldn't care if you showed-up in a pink Tu-Tu! Shooting isn't about WHAT you're dressed in, it's about whether or not your a$$ can cash the check that your mouth writes. Can you put every round into your target? Can you break all of the clays? Can you cut a playing card in half with a rifle at 20 yards? Can you put two pistol rounds into the same hole at 25 yards? Can you shoot weak-handed with a hand gun or switch shoulders with your rifle, if need be? Can you handle a piece of HOT BRASS down your shirt without sweeping everybody else on the firing line? Can you stop and help those that need it WITHOUT copping an attitude? Do you donate something back to the Sport--like teaching Kids how to shoot? THESE are the things that impress me, THESE are the things that I watch for. Everything else is superfluous......

I could care less if you wear gloves, or not. Shooting isn't a fashion show.

If you show-up to a range I'm shooting at and can pump your rounds safely and effectively, I wouldn't care if you showed-up in a pink Tu-Tu! Shooting isn't about WHAT you're dressed in, it's about whether or not your a$$ can cash the check that your mouth writes. Can you put every round into your target? Can you break all of the clays? Can you cut a playing card in half with a rifle at 20 yards? Can you put two pistol rounds into the same hole at 25 yards? Can you shoot weak-handed with a hand gun or switch shoulders with your rifle, if need be? Can you handle a piece of HOT BRASS down your shirt without sweeping everybody else on the firing line? Can you stop and help those that need it WITHOUT copping an attitude? Do you donate something back to the Sport--like teaching Kids how to shoot? THESE are the things that impress me, THESE are the things that I watch for. Everything else is superfluous......

Agree Dave, but I could do without seeing someone in a Pink Tu-Tu..

To the OP - Wear gloves if you want to. I'm the most tactical guy at my range almost every time I go, and I get "looks" everytime I go. But then everyone shuts up and stops snickering once I shoot and manipulate the rifle. Gloves are very useful, regardless if they get labeled as being Mall Ninja Tactical. An example being a 8 hour carbine course in the middle of August when it's 90 degrees, the sun shining on your rifle all day, with 500+ rounds including rapid fire. People will be asking for spare gloves if you have them. I personally wouldn't wear them around the house or to sleep, but when it's very cold or very hot there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing gloves while shooting.

Time to make some kind of bet so that if Harry loses he shoots in a tutu for the day :)

I'm GAME, but I might lose and I don't think TuTu's come in MY size, lol! :maninlove: and besides Harry is a Good Shot and a Good Sport!

What exactly are you hurting. Maybe you need to show someone your grip. Maybe if you get your grip squared away your finges wont hurt. If it is from recoil get some lighter loads

I know Sandy and all I have to say is: Mikey, you go out and shoot 100 rounds of full-house .357 magnums through a Smith J-frame and then tell me you're not hurtin' Sandy is a bit of a masochist, but the J-frame is what fits her petite hands - she has issues to deal with that we take for granted.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I know Sandy and all I have to say is: Mikey, you go out and shoot 100 rounds of full-house .357 magnums through a Smith J-frame and then tell me you're not hurtin' Sandy is a bit of a masochist, but the J-frame is what fits her petite hands - she has issues to deal with that we take for granted.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'll give you that :) Pete complained a bluestreak about my J frame lol

That'll never happen Sandy...

Yeah , I know. I bet a guy in my brazilian jiu jitsu class about whether or not you can make a left over a single set of double yellow lines ..he lost the bet and was supposed to wear my pink Kyra Gracie rash guard shorts to class for a week. He welched >:/